1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Can someone please explain to me why Lovren was given a new contract?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by wishiwasinliverpool, Apr 29, 2017.

1. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Firmer than whom? <whistle>

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  2. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

I don't mind Lovren, could easily be replaced, but he has a place in our squad.
    However giving a squad player £100k per week does seem ridiculous.

jenners04 likes this.
  3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Firminho?

4. moreinjuredthanowen

its mad but utd gave lingard 100k recently.

The fact is we SEEM to think we can afford it.

I don't really agree with it myself but there you go.

I'd personally rather pay a mane more and expect more out of them... or in teed some new player who's get a name and rep like the quality we need to bring in now.

5. LuisDiazgamechanger

What are you moaning about?, Sturridge is on £150000 pw playing no football.

6. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

That is even worse. Paying a waste of space that much, but at least he will be shipped out this summer.

jenners04 likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

will he? oh please let that be true!

8. LuisDiazgamechanger

When you are paying some players ridiculous wages, you're laying down a dangerous precedent. However,to get the best you have to pay the price. We are paying Sturridge the wages he does not deserve and having problems in getting rid of him.

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

How can that be, you haven't even tried yet.

(I agree it will be hard to find someone to pay him that with his injury record but, he may be prepared to take a pay cut to get away and start again.)

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  10. LuisDiazgamechanger

With his injury records, who is going to bell the cat?.

11. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

West ham are after him to keep Carroll company on the treatment table.

BobbyD, Diego and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

The issue is timing here.

There was a time... probably around about when mr suarez got hi massive pay hike that sturridge merited a wage hike.

however LFC gave sturridge his pay hike in september 2014... not long into the following season shortly after suarez left.

His contract was a reaction IMO to suarez leaving. It was given <2 years into a 5 year contract. He was injured at the time with a thigh injury which kept him out a month but just 2 months after signing this he went down with the first hamsrting injury missing nearly 3 months and in april that year his hip went..

so basically we gave hin 150k a week and within 2 months he was injured and continued to be injured for the next 3 years.

slightly odd that..

But then again one might conclude it was just bad luck and all the injuries ti hip and hamstring all came from the same source injury... which in effect ended his useful career.

Had LFC been actually thinking longer term they would not have shovelled a contract at this guy cos suarez was gone based n the fact the guy had over 3 years still elft and luck would have shown up this injury thing.

13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Serious question, do you think your club sometimes give out new contracts too early on the strength of one good season?
    Brendan got one and it cost you to get rid, Sturridge got one and you may struggle to get rid, Klopp got one (after 4 5ths of a good season, we shall see where that goes.
    Give a man a 5 year contract and hold him to it, if he is performing as expected (or better) offer him a new one at the end of the third year not the first.

14. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Pros and cons either way though. Leave it to 3 years and few more good seasons and they are in driving seat. May not want to sign and see what summer window brings then you're in position of them going into last year or two and potentially having to sell or risk going into final year like with Sanchez and Ozil.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I understand the reasons (especially with Klopp because he has proven form) but for me Brendan and Sturridge still had a lot to prove before being granted a massive contract update.

jenners04 likes this.
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

Yes we do.

We hand them out quite quickly and not really based on anythingblike a 2 year rule etc.

Some clubs seem to go right start in year 3 and if no deal we sell with 2 years of contract left.

I have looked. This is the case with lovren

I do feel however we seem quite willing to react to a story about a transfer and shovel money st people.

Lallanas deal was mad.
    Coutinhos is utterly massive.

You are right about klopp. It was bayern talk and lfc just shovelled a deal at him that was huge.

Pay rises occur. We all know this, it does require discipline to not break pay structures and to not jump at shadows.

Diego likes this.
  17. moreinjuredthanowen

Rogers was silly. It was right after getting 2nd and was based on exactly who taking him?

Sturridge imo was a rraction to other things and stroking his ego. There was no need that season to do it. That summer maybe but not then.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

No. You sell.. why? Theres always another player. Sterling out and conpetant buy beings in mane.

If you are competant to rwplace well... and player who performs well for 3 years is easy to sell too.... you dont shovel stuff and guys cos theres a rumour someone might want them.

The clear rule is 2 years left = sign or go and at that point he should not be on such high wages he wont go anyway.

If you pay so much you cant get rid after 3 years you are doing something wrong.

Mane is on 90k btw... i think in 2 years there woyld be a queue a mile long even if hes only average for next 2 years.

If he plays amazing jext season imo we will throw 200k a week at him in december.. a year early.

19. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

Give Migs time and he'll return to type. He's been like this before, can't keep it up (don't be rude...)

jenners04 likes this.
  20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He only seems to make mistakes when he's the lead CB. Sure, there are beret defenders but he's not the worst.

Plus, it's a squad game