1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carl Fletcher Sacked

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by HOADIE_BOI, Jan 1, 2013.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's not particularly that I'm an apologist for Fletcher Sensible, more that I object to the rabid dog pack mentality that drives managers out before they've had a reasonable chance to change things.

Remember the stats? I know you love them. Two thirds of managers are sacked within 18 months of appointment and half within 12 months. We've had 8 in 8 years. Considering that transfers are only possible for a portion of each year, that's hardly sensible is it? Is it not reported here that some candidates are being rubbished on other forums before anyone's been appointed, so we've started early on the next one.

And do for God's sake stop trying to see a conspiracy behind every bush. If Harvey was substituted and then subsequently left out of the squad altogether for the following game, it's likely he is indeed injured as reported by reputable sources. It's more likely than there being a gaggle of clubs queueing up to by a lad with what, 2 hours league experience to his name.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

......."A reasonable chance to change things" notDistant....you cannot be serious..... as a well known tennis player used to say......Fletcher had yonks of time..... and winning one in a dozen was about his limit......half the managers in Div 2 would have loved to of worked with the squad that Fletcher had at his disposal.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Fletcher has plenty of time, so i can't see any one defending him. As a person no problem, as a manager Useless, not very good as a footballer either?

I have seen reports on other sites that they are rubbishing potential managers already? i disagree with that and will give the new man who ever that may be time .. he won't work miracles over night..
    Who ever it may be has a tough job ahead.. so we all need to get behind him from the start.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I am not a reactionary by nature. I gave Sturrock II a fair go, and Mariner and Reid and Fletcher. All of whom had a reasonable time to do something with the exception of Reid maybe who was incumbent at totally the wrong time to succeed. Fletcher was rubbish. There is no getting away from that and however long he was given I do not for one minute believe he would have been successful. I don't care what the stats say about new managers. Just because the next one might not be successful either is no reason to hold onto one who is and has failed. I will give the new man a fair run in the same way I have the others. Some people don't and seem to like to moan about everything going but I'd say the majority will.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

OK.....lets moan now......ARGYLE IN BOTTOM TWO.....and clubs around us have two games in hand.

6. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh dear, lets head for the bar <yikes>

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'll meet you there Mrs laLa.........I'll bring the box of kleenex.

8. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

4th from bottom Plym...check BBC.

9. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

OK Plym, make it a man sized box and the drinks are on me.

10. notDistantGreen

A year is **** all time to bring a club around, especially when under financial constraints. Leaving Fletcher aside, it's gross mismanagement to be continually changing the man in charge, especially at the behest of a rabid mob. Eight managers in eight years is a shortcut to disaster and that's exactly what's happened.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sorry hp...........BBC will confirm second from bottom.......AFC Wimbledon moved above us with a win.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Give it a rest notdistant Fletcher was F*****g useless. The bottom line is he should probably never have been given the job in the first place which is where the mismanagement comes in. He was cheap at the time is about it and that is hardly a recipe for success is it. I get fed up with all this back the man clap trap. What exactly did Fletcher ever do for us except scrape league survival last year. He stuck by us I hear people cry. Well never once did I hear that he had turned down a move anywhere. That says to me that nobody else wanted him. He Captained the team to successive relegations and leaves us knocking on the trap door. Well thanks a bunch Carl. I am not alking about him in any personal capacity. He probably is a very nice man etc etc. But I support Argyle and pay to watch them win not to have a very nice man in charge. A very nice man who is successful yes is a bonus but the later is the most important bit. He has proved to be a first class loser with Argyle and the record books show that as a fact both statistically and otherwise.

13. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

Oh dear, sensible is throwing a wobbly.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yes but which bit of my wobbly isn't true though.....

15. WestCountrylalala

Forum Moderator

Unfortunately it's all true <wah>

16. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Scraped league survival with a team that had 1 point under Reid with nearly a quarter of the season gone without spending a penny but did nothing for us? That is hardly nothing we were dead and buried when he took over. Yes he had to go, as I stated several weeks ago, but the cynic in me questions the timing, it should have happen weeks ago not at the start of the transfer window. A couple of comments passed by Fletcher regarding funds for transfers, MacDonalds verbal transfer agreement now void, Moseley who knows and I am wondering what exactly Mr Brents motivation truly was, the good of the club or his wallet? If people really think that Fletcher is the cause of all our problems then they are more deluded than I thought!!! Stapleton, Kagami, Synan, Gardener and Todd got us here and only time or a big bag of cash will get us out and Brent ain't offering any bags of cash. Fletcher failed to make a silk purse out of a sows ear but he didn't pick the materials all we can hope is that the new guy has a big bag of fairy dust stashed away for emergencies coz he is going to need it. No strike force, genuine left back, controlling midfielder and a bunch of kids who have just had the stuffing knocked out of them adds up to a long, long season again but fingers crossed he can turn it around.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Mexijan I agree with you that the timing of Fletchers departure has been badly done.

Is it because of James Brent's loyalty to Carl Fletcher being over generous and him having far more faith in Carl than he should of had ?

Or......was it because he was unwilling to spend any money on bringing in an experienced manager....so he went along with Fletcher with fingers crossed and a prayer ?

Or .....is it a bit of both the above thoughts ?

Peter Ridsdale had to put Peter Reid out of his misery....Reid was far out of his comfort zone in the lower leagues.....what success he had had was in the top flight and with a reasonable budget.

My thoughts on that was that Reid should have been sacked the previous summer and never been allowed to start that disasterous nine game run of only one point,and that had been a last minute goal from Fletcher in the very first match at Shrewsbury for a draw.

The next big mistake was the haste in making Carl Fletcher full time manager by Mr Brent......the evidence for doing that was very poor....just the slightest of improvement that was already tapering off when he got the nod from Brent that the job was his.

Survival came at the end of the season because of a good defensive showing after the new year...based around Purse and Blanchard being very reliable even though goalscoring was a very worrying problem for the team.....Fletcher got away with his limited input because of the defence.....some might not agree, I think Fletcher struck lucky with Purse and Blanchard.

This season most of the players were by now Fletcher's choice......attacking options unfortunately had not improved....and defensively the magic had disappeared, Purse was carrying an injury which might have been an excuse for him......player of the season Blanchard had lost his form as well and confidence in whoever played in goal made us vunerable to set pieces.

James Brent should have taken action at least ten games ago.....winning was rarer than hens teeth and discipline had not improved from the previous seasons low either......Fletcher was not a good model himself regarding discipline and those that got reds and yellows were supported whatever the reason....showing a lack of leadership strength from Fletcher.

It seemed to me that Carl Fletcher had in his time at Argyle become a "jonah" type character,had captained the team to consecutive relegations and had been given the short straw after administation to manage the team.....it was not in his make-up to be a manager in any circumstance that happened at Home Park. What was obvious was that a strong experienced manager was needed from day one...... not an apprentice manager supported with similar backroom staff.

I will be reminded that Fletcher had been player of the season twice running by some.....my answer to that would be who else was there to choose from.

Looking at todays league table is a very worrying thing, we are in the deep mire with other teams around us having two games in hand over us.

This will mean a new manager will have to hit the ground running from the first game....an unfair situation for the new man........James Brent can be faulted for there being so little time for the new man......that suggests to me that he has to put that right by dipping into his pocket to get the right players to come to Home Park.

Goals are necessary to win matches and Chadwick and Feeney must easily be the worse attacking pair in the whole of the football league.

Defensively we have given away our most experienced defender to save pennies.....the alternative is the Conference and that would cost us pounds.....that decision could come back to bite us.

18. notDistantGreen

Football = players not managers
    Players = wages = money
    Money = fans through the gate

Simple equations to learn and use.

There's nothing wrong with loyalty, in fact in my non-football experience that two-way loyalty that is a key factor in achieving team spirit and success. That starts with loyalty of fans to the club......

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You just can't see it notDistant can you......life is not a series of cold blooded clinical decisions.

The fans have been given five years of hell by PAFC managements......and all you can say is .... "that it starts with the loyalty of fans to the club"

Loyalty to what.... hundreds of pounds of hard earned money for five years of watching dross.....there's more fun in standing over a roadside drain and popping a fiver down every five minutes or so........join the real world before it's too late notDistant.

20. notDistantGreen

That's a bloody good description of owning a football club. There's simply no value gained and Brent's not going to do it. I'm the one in the real world Plymborn, which is cold blooded I'm afraid. It's anyone who thinks otherwise that's in Cloud Cuckoo Land.