1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Carrier Bag Charge

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by joeisonfire, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

I take it all back.... It was money well spent <doh>

2. Class of 73

Class of 73 Well-Known Member

There has just been a programme on in the SW about the amount of plastic in the sea around our shores. We are basically doomed, but just don't realise it yet, they were pulling jars of water out of the sea and examining the water and the tiny plankton contained in it. It showed that the plankton are trying to digest the tiny bits of plastic as the stuff breaks down. It was poisoning them and It's coming back up the food chain to bite our arses; a disgrace that should have been addressed years and years ago..

The Relic likes this.
  3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Personally couldnt give a flying one about this

4. Home_and_Away

Tottenham went on £110m spending spree following sale of Gareth Bale... now four of the purchases are heading for exit door
    • Tottenham used money from Gareth Bale's sale to purchase seven players
    • Roberto Soldado, Paulhino and Erik Lamela were among stars to join club
    • Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli have managed to prove their worth
    • Soldado, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue and Vlad Chiriches look set to leave
    By Chris Wheeler for MailOnline

Published: 11:13, 27 June 2015 | Updated: 12:50, 27 June 2015

When Tottenham used the money from Gareth Bale’s £86million move to Real Madrid to fund a £110m spending spree in the summer of 2013, Garth Crooks declared that his old club had ‘sold Elvis and bought the Beatles’.

Instead of a Fab Four, however, the arrival of Erik Lamela, Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Christian Eriksen, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches and Nacer Chadli, meant that S Club 7 might have been more appropriate.

Two years on, with Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue and Chiriches all set to leave, Spurs fans will have their own thoughts on what the ‘S’ stands for …

please log in to view this image

Tottenham used the money from Gareth Bale's £86m move to Real Madrid to sign (from left to right) Paulinho, Christian Eriksen, Roberto Soldado, Nacer Chadli, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches and Erik Lamela

Spurs sold Bale to Real for a world record fee, which allowed the north London side to bring in new players

ERIK LAMELA

Cost: £30m from Roma

Earns: £100,000-a-week

Tottenham’s record signing was meant to be Bale’s replacement but it soon became clear that those expectations were too much too soon for the young Argentine.

He scored only one goal, against FC Sheriff Tiraspol of Moldova in the Europa League, before his first season at White Hart Lane was ended by a back injury in December.

Lamela showed flashes of what he can do in his second campaign – not least the outrageous ‘Rabona’ goal against the Greeks of Asteras Tripoli – but Spurs fans expect much more.

Erik Lamela, pictured after scoring against Burnley in December 2014, has struggled to fill the void left by Bale

ROBERTO SOLDADO

Cost: £26m from Valencia

Earns: £90,000-a-week

The former Real Madrid striker started off like a steam train, scoring four goals in his first three games against Crystal Palace, Dinamo Tbilisi and Swansea, but he has certainly hit the buffers since then.

A respectable total of 11 goals was followed by just five last season – including one in the Premier League – as the Spaniard suffered a crisis of confidence in contrast to the sensational emergence of Harry Kane.

It’s more than likely that Soldado, briefly Tottenham’s record buy before Lamela’s arrival, will move on this summer.

Tottenham striker Roberto Soldado has failed to replicate the form he showed during his time at Valencia

Harry Kane, Erik Lamela and Roberto Soldado in keepy up rondo

PAULINHO

Cost: £17m from Corinthians

Earns: £55,000-a-week

The Brazilian midfielder broke down in tears when he announced his move from Corinthians to North London and it wasn’t long before Spurs fans were crying as well.

Like Soldado, Paulinho was Tottenham’s record signing for a short while and also got off to a decent start, ending his first season with eight goals.

However he has failed to make anything like the kind of impact the club had hoped for, and they will be more than happy if he joins former Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari at Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande this summer, recouping £11m of his sizeable transfer fee in the process.

Brazil international Paulinho, pictured with Andros Townsend, is closing in on a move away from Tottenham

CHRISTIAN ERIKSEN

Cost: £11.5m from Ajax

Earns: £75,000-a-week

The standout success of the bunch, Eriksen has developed into a fans’ favourite at Tottenham and a key figure under Mauricio Pochettino, playing in every Premier League game under the new Spurs boss last season.

The Danish playmaker is blessed with great vision and an eye for goal – 22 in two seasons at White Hart Lane. A knack for scoring late goals, in particular, has enhanced his popularity.

Tottenham playmaker Christian Eriksen has been one of the few success stories from the seven signings

ETIENNE CAPOUE

Cost: £8.6m from Toulouse

Earns: £50,000-a-week

How Spurs must wish they had got their money back for Capoue from Napoli in January 2014, just six months after signing him from Toulouse, instead of holding out for £12m.

The Frenchman did not play again beyond February after suffering an ankle injury against Norwich and, despite a bright start to his second season, has faded dramatically.

Real Sociedad tried to sign him in the January transfer window and Watford and West Brom have been linked this summer. Spurs certainly won’t get £12m now.

Watford and West Brom want Etienne Capoue despite the Frenchman's failure to find his feet in England

VLAD CHIRICHES

Cost: £8.5m from Steaua Bucharest

Earns: £40,000-a-week

Hard to believe that Arsenal were said to be interested in poaching the Romania international from their arch rivals in January 2014 after Chiriches enjoyed a promising start at the heart of Tottenham’s defence.

It’s gone downhill for him since then after he struggled with a back injury and then a loss of form.

Chiriches was sent off on last appearance away to Stoke in May and it may well prove to be his last for Spurs.

Romania international Vlad Chiriches made an impressive start to life in London but has gone on to struggle

NACER CHADLI

Cost: £6m from FC Twente

Earns: £50,000-a-week

By his own admission, Chadli struggling to cope with the high expectations in his first season which was also hampered by injury. But his form picked up significantly after Tim Sherwood succeeded Andre Villas-Boas, and the progress has continued under Pochettino.

The Belgian scored twice as many goals for Tottenham last season – 13 compared to five in his first campaign – despite being given compassionate leave in January following the death of his father.

Nacer Chadli, pictured jumping for joy after scoring against Swansea, has managed to turn his form around

Share or comment on this article
    MOST WATCHED SPORT VIDEOS

5. BalesBalls

BalesBalls Active Member

6. Home_and_Away

They are all **** marra... They are all multi millionaires for one reason.... They are ruthless businessmen!

Have we wasted money.....? Absolutely, time & time again !
    Did Spurs waste the Bale money... ? Ask Glenn Hoddle

You blew it! Spurs wasted Bale money on wrong players, blasts Hoddle as they crash out of the Europa League

Glenn Hoddle accused Tottenham of wasting the £86million earned from the sale of Gareth Bale as the club were knocked out of the Europa League on Thursday night.

The Spurs legend said Bale has been replaced by the wrong type of players, who are ‘good but not great’.

Spurs spent heavily last summer, bringing in seven players including £30m Erik Lamela and £26m Roberto Soldado, but were knocked out by Benfica 5-3 on aggregate after drawing 2-2 in the Estadio da Luz.

7. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

In the olden days there was not a finer sight than to see all women carrying a shopping bag to carry the daily shop in. Freezers, fridges etc mean that all the bulk buying breeds these plastic bags where a weekly shop breeds at least half-a-dozen of them. The Yanks have the right idea by using recycled paper carrier bags.

And this comes from one whose generation allegedly spoiled this planet by inventing all modern gadgets.

The Relic likes this.
  8. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Well at least my foreskin is intact.

9. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Billys bell end stilton.

A strong matute cheese perfect for those wine and cheese evenings.

Only five pounds per kilo. Comes with free carrier bag.

10. Zlash

Zlash Well-Known Member

<laugh> Absolutely, yes.
    Don't want Levy in charge otherwise he'll bugger up sure-fire deals like Berahino 'cos he refused to pay a players worth yet expected massive returns on any player he sold no matter how **** they are and end up lumbered with Adebayor til his contract expires.

more than 4000 stores including Costcutter chain. reckon they'll have more than 250 employees.

Am I missing something? Aldi/Lidl = cheap (i shop there too). 40p per carrier bag = expensive (by comparison of 5p).

11. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

Lidl have two types of bag on offer. The 40p one is massive and thick as hell - you could fit and carry half your household furniture in there <laugh>. Then there's an average sized carrier bag, a lot thinner but still adequate at 15p. I use one of the thinner ones time and again and reckon it'll cost me less than a quid a year.

12. Zlash

Zlash Well-Known Member

Oh I get it. Cheers Relic. I usually take a big hold-all or two, maybe a back-pack if i've walked to the shop, and a freezer bag. I wont pay for Lidl/Aldi bags if I can help it. In fact I'd rather put everything loose in the boot of my car than pay that much for a bag I'm likely to forget next time.

The Relic likes this.
  13. makemdan

makemdan Well-Known Member

Carried me shopper round the galleries with me yesterday. Just need a raincoat to complete the Roy Cropper look.

joeisonfire likes this.
  14. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

<laugh>