1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Castleford coach Terry Matterson to leave

Discussion in 'Super League' started by Not606 News Team, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Castleford Tigers head coach Terry Matterson will quit the club at the end of the season, the club has confirmed.

The Australian has been in charge since 2006 and has taken the club from relegation strugglers to their current position in seventh place in the Super League.

The 44-year-old said: "I think it's time to move on. I've had a fantastic time at Cas and I'm proud of the growth the club has experienced in my time.

"I've overseen the development of some outstanding juniors at Cas and I'm content on leaving the club in good shape.

He is expected to return to his homeland and is hoping to join a club in the NRL.

Castleford chief executive Richard Wright praised Matterson's work.

He said: "Terry has brought a level of professionalism to the club that is required at this level.

"He has guided us to become a competitive force in Super League and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

"Meanwhile, our aims are to secure a home play-off draw and to make the Wembley cup final.

"We remain are in a position to meet those aims and we will be fully focused on doing so."

Hull KR's Australian boss Justin Morgan and former Great Britain head coach Brian Noble are both being linked with the soon-to-be vacant position.