1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cattermole Rumour

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by flandersmackem, May 29, 2016.

1. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Just to say, on reflection I'd probably say we could get about 7m off a promoted team for him. I still think 10m is a little to steep, though.

2. 13thtop

13thtop Active Member

Didn't I see nzonzi offer turned down at 21 mill. The worlds mad but that does rate cats in the 10mill plus, do I think it's worth it no, but this is the stated mad world

3. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I would like us to keep him. However, if we do get rid I'm sure it's a sign of progression.

Value wise, I'd guess we sell for £5/6m and get £40/50k off the wage bill.

I do like Lee, but next season if he's still with us he'll be backup anyway.

4. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Always liked Catts, always valued what's been mentioned and his natural leadership.

Quite simply though, he isn't good enough all round to compete for 8-12th place which is where we are aiming.

He's got control of his blood rushes, his touch has improved, his passing has improved, but he still doesn't offer enough all round.

Now, if he stays I'll be more than delighted, if we do finalise the M'Vila deal though he will know for sur he's for back up so I can see him fancying a move back home.

£10million is fanciful cos the reputation remains despite the stats backing up his reform, I'd imagine if he goes we get around the £6million we paid for him back and if we did he's been a great servant and we've done very well.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

We will be lucky to get £2 million for him never mind £10 million..

bonnybobbypark and TEL like this.
  6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

£10million is fantasy island mate!

I do think we could get the £6million back though, given the money in the league now and recent fees.

He'd be a perfect signing for Boro, not least cos it's his club.

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't swap Cattermole for nzonzi! So I reckon £20m plus!!

I'm only using the figures I am because of the modern game! I've seen worse players go for far more than the £5-6m being talked about on here. My opinion is that he's not worth that much in reality. But he is definitely worth that much when compared to the prices of others

8. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

This is the exact problem with Sunderland fans in a nutshell! Normally I'm in complete agreement with you and @MrRAWhite but this is crazy! Jordan Rhodes - gamble - £9m. Cattermole. Guaranteed good enough for the lower pl. £2m? £5m? Jesus! We don't have a realistic outlook because of what we have had coming in for players in the past. I just can't understand why no one can see that! As I say, do I think he's worth that £10m. Probably not in reality. Do I think he is when you out into context the fees paid nowadays? Hell yes

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying Marcus but let's be realistic, for all that we know he's a reformed character and that the stats back it up, that stigma is and always will remain attached, there's a few quid off.

He's not a goalscorer, few more, not a creator, more still.

If he sells for £10million I will be delighted and he's only worth as much as the highest bidder is willing to pay, we've never played hardball over fees as a club bar Bent, no way would we turn down 6-8 if Sam was prepared to sell.

10. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

think that they are the main questions that need to be answered first, does he want to go and does Sam want rid? assuming naturally that the smog eaters want him.
    If Sam don't want rid of him then potentially we could get more than what he is realistically worth.

Nads likes this.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

That's the key I think.

What's his wage as well, Sam is in a dream position with Fletch, Graham and Wes freeing up fortunes alongside the massive TV wedge, but I dare say Catts is a high earner.

12. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Why in God's name would we want to sell our captain and key member in the spine of our team to a team who will finish somewhere near us next season?

Madness

marcusblackcat likes this.
  13. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

How many goals and assists did Makalele get? Probably no more than Cattermole. Hes a lower mid table Makalele which, comfortably by today's standards, makes him worth £10m and possibly then some. Like I say, everyone on here seems to be of the "what we think we'd pay for him. Not what he is probably worth by today's standards. Just an opinion though but, if we did sell him, I'd be asking questions of the owner/chief exec if we accepted less than £10m. Poyet turned down £6m from Stoke iirc. 2 seasons ago and he is a much better player now than he was then

MackemInTheMiddle likes this.
  14. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

He shouldn't be a key member of our team next season though, he was only played as our "creative" midfielder out of necessity, i.e. everyone else is utter gash.

I'd like to keep him, as backup for M'Vila / Kirchhoff's inevitable long-term injury (still think that's just a matter of time), but we really REALLY need to be bringing in someone who can actually create / score goals from midfield.

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I do get all your points mate, and they are valid, I'm just saying what I think realistically.

I believe we accepted £6million off Stoke, we then decided to keep regardless, it wasn't fee related.

16. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

£20m!! You really are smitten with Catts mate.

Its gonna be a long cold dark day for you when the lad goes, and your heart is broken.

Don't worry mate, we'll be there for you...

marcusblackcat likes this.
  17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I don't rate N'Zonzi at all but France caps adds £5million straight away to any club without a proper scouting network.