1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic CDs

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by GLP, Aug 10, 2017.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I'm sadly moving to the digital era. Getting rid of my relatively eclectic mix of CDs circa 400 - just in the process of copying onto iTunes and then onto a hard drive.

Anyone shifted a load of CDs and what sort of price? It's going to be a sad day, but they just take up too much room.

2. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

What have you got? List them. Might be some of interest.

Otherwise I'd say keep them! I know they're not trendy like vinyl, but still you won't get nowhere near back that you spent on them.

3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

The list would take forever! I'm only half way through loading them up. It's soul destroying.

4. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

Don't sell them to Music Magpie, you'll get a fraction of their worth.

eBay is best but of course a lot of work for 400 cds.

5. augustatiger

augustatiger Well-Known Member

You will be lucky to get £2 each as a job lot unless you have some rare ones.
    Ones with decent inserts with lyrics fetch more but seldom more than £3 each.
    400 CDs equates to approx £5,000 salary.
    More to the point what are you doing with your CD player and how will you play them from iplayer?

6. Paul Jewitt

Paul Jewitt Well-Known Member

I went through exactly the same when I moved to a smaller house, but when I found out how little I could get for my CD's I thought I'd rather keep them.

If you want to sell them as a job lot you'll probably get up to 50p per CD album and I couldn't be bothered to sell them separately on Ebay or the like.

GLP likes this.
  7. Quill

Quill Bastard

I've just kept the hundreds of CDs I have, have them on the shelving with my LPs. Would be too much of a task for so little reward to sell them, unless you managed to sell them in bulk.

Hold onto them, in 25 years they might become popular again and you'll be quids in <laugh>

GLP and Paul Jewitt like this.
  8. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I've got a bose unit with Bluetooth connect. So you can just stream music. Thinking of a sonos system.

All these CDs used to be in the lounge - gradually the Mrs has scuttled them into a Welsh dresser in the office - they've been in their for about 3 years now and I've been streaming from my phone since then.

Part of the pleasure was the CD and extra detail on the insert. But times are changing and I do like the convenience of how accessible digital music is from downloading and playing.

9. Quill

Quill Bastard

One of the great things about LPs at the moment is that they almost always come with a digital download code too.

I love being able to take my music anywhere with little fuss, but I do like having a physical copy too.

GLP likes this.
  10. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It's liberating and traumatising in the same breath. Some of these albums evoke great memories. But, got to move on - I'm sure I'll keep some - all the Kingmaker albums for a start <laugh>

11. Quill

Quill Bastard

Ripping music onto a computer is a horribly tedious and depressing thing. When I switched to my most recent laptop I didn't even bother doing it again, I just got Spotify Premium instead.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  12. Paul Jewitt

Kingmaker. Among many of their gigs I remember them being supported at The Tower by a new band going by the name of Radiohead. Thom Yorke dedicated Creep to me and my brother and our girlfriends/wives as we were "the four people who have bothered to dance"

originalminority and Quill like this.
  13. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I watched them at the Mill in Preston Lancs supported by Elastica :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

Bizarre as it was my first week at Uni and a band from back home, actually one from the same village were playing in Lancs.

Paul Jewitt likes this.
  14. Paul Jewitt

I also remember having a lengthy discussion With Loz about the poor quality of one of their tour shirts in Spiders one evening. Cheeky twat tried to blame it on my mum washing it.

GLP likes this.
  15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Still got an eat yourself whole T Shirt in a drawer somewhere. They deserved more recognition. Brilliant band.

Paul Jewitt likes this.
  16. Paul Jewitt

Agreed. With the spate of recent "reunion" gigs by bands from that era I'd have liked to have seen them do a gig or two (the full trio, not just 'Kingmaker for a day')

GLP likes this.
  17. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Lived next door to the drummers ex Mrs in North Cave for a few years.

18. Paul Jewitt

And I got told off at work once for wearing the "F*** me it's Kingmaker" t-shirt, so I stuck a bit of tape over the offensive bit with "Deary" written on it.

dennisboothstash and GLP like this.
  19. x

x Well-Known Member

the problem is that if you copy them to another format and then sell the CDs, you have no legal right whatsoever to your copied versions. i copied mine and there were more than a thousand discs to wade through. those CDs will have to be prised from my cold dead hands to leave my possession. i know the under 30s think you shouldn't have to pay for stuff you steal, but be a man and keep the discs, there's a love.

20. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Took me months to digitise all mine but I'd never get rid of em. That's my yoof right there and they're neatly stored in ****loads of shelving in my gym, where I also have a CD player.