1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

celebrity fans

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Tickton Tiger., Apr 24, 2017.

1. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

He moved to Lincolnshire when he was about 14. Think his name is the name of the village he moved to.

2. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

There are about 900 seats in a block, aren't there? That might be why you've never seen him, especially if he doesn't go all the time.

3. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

That's right..He was there to hob-nob with Brighton's chairman and the local politicians...He was handed a City scarf by the bloke who used to run the media side of things at City, so he could wave it as if he was some kind of hardcore City fan...****er..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

At KC on Satdee for the Watfud game..

5. Melbournetiger

Melbournetiger Well-Known Member

Mentioning about MPs remember catching a train from Euston in 85,to go to Walsall, sitting with James Johnstone the MP for West Hull at the time. He was a keen City fan, he invited me to join him in the directors box for the game.Being a member of the City supporters Southern Branch I declined ,I was meeting others in the prearranged pub.We won by the way Peter Skipper goal and promotion was sealed.Happy day

Citygirl likes this.
  6. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

Are Politicians and/or Journalists celebrities?

7. Melbournetiger

Probably not,just evoked memories.

8. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

My post wasn't aimed at your comment MT. Just think out loud on the thread in general or more accurately media in general. The use (and applicability) of the word celebrity seems to have grown massively over the years. "Hero" is another over used word IMHO.

(Sorry to hijack the thread)

EDIT: Dear Pedants I realise I was typing my thoughts not actually saying them.

9. Melbournetiger

Thats okay , you are right No offence taken, just an excuse to remember a positive day

10. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Nice story Melbs, I was there too, heartening to know one of our civic leaders followed City when we were **** and the rest of them ****ed off about eggchasing or in the case of our North Hull MP, McNamara, the poor Irish.

11. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

I was at Fellows Park that day to see us get promotion . James Johnson was a regular at our games in London from what I remember too .

12. Mister Slush

Mister Slush Active Member

Hull, Hell & Happiness used to have an "Honorary President" for each issue, drawn mostly from the celebrity world. Some were there purely for their Hull connection (e.g. Maureen Lipman) and others because they were genuine City fans.

Roy North once wore an official HCAFC jumper when presenting 70s/80s ITV kids pop programme "Get It Together" and thanked the club at the end of the programme for allowing him to do so :1980_boogie_down:. One of the finest "celebrity" (?) City fans was the late playwright Alan Plater (Z Cars, The Beiderbecke trilogy & many more for those of you old enough to remember) who originated from Jarrow before moving to Hull at the age of three. He wrote some wonderful pieces about the club in various publications and got to games whenever he could (as did/does Roy North).

And wasn't one of the members of 90s chart band Kingmaker a City fan? I seem to remember one of their videos had one of them wearing a City shirt.

It does seem a fairly shallow list though. That said, if the FA Cup hadn't been so devalued in recent times, no doubt we'd have had no end of celebrities claiming to be City fans joining Jimmy Tarbuck in his annual get-together as part of the TV's all-day Cup Final coverage in 2014 (again one for the old gits out there) :emoticon-0116-evilg.

13. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Yeah defo, I remember seeing it on Going Live.

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The City shirt video...

dennisboothstash likes this.
  15. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Alan Plater once wrote an episode were all the characters had the surname of City players, didn't he?

John Alderton once put a poster for a City home game on the notice board in Please Sir.

16. Melbournetiger

For the old gits ! Remember this is your life for Tom Courtney the City team came on the end. He had a dog at the time called Waggy

Mark de Klein likes this.
  17. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Yes, remember watching that.

18. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

The dog you mention was a dalmation, Courtney used to joke at the time that he didn't know who had the most spots, Waggy or his dog!

19. tigers40

tigers40 Well-Known Member

I have stopped going until ehaw and his family sell up. But on my fortnightly travels up and down the line from Portsmouth on matchdays, I used to travel a lot with Roy North and a couple of mates of his. We always got some beers and food for the return journey to Kings Cross. I do miss the trips but sadly have made a decision not to go because of these herberts and their continued vilification of Hull City supporters.

20. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Tenuous link to OP as not regarding a celebrity fan as such, but has anyone ever read that novel by Terry Venables in which, at some point (I haven’t read it either), it is mentioned that Hull City are top of the old First Division?

I imagine the book’s an abomination but it always interested me for obvious reasons – particularly as it was written in the 70s.