1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship Players

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Little General, Jul 28, 2016.

1. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Paying too much for them or are they quality ?

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I think time will tell.

Ritchie is a proven class act and inn today's market his value was probably about right.

Hanley is only proven at championship level but he's captain of Scotland so must be a leader.

The others I'm not sure on yet.

We should have a clearer view by mid season.

Ultimately, if we come back up and make a profit on the transfer dealings (gini plus moussa ) it will be money well spent.

3. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Both!

All prices are now over inflated with the extra money in the Premier League, and this spills over into the Championship now. With parachute payments, combined with teams willing to spend big to make the step up, you pretty much have to try and buy as close to Premier League quality as you can get. Championship clubs will never attract world class players, but the ones serious about challenging for promotion need to be competing for the players that Premier League teams would like as squad players. There will be far more teams spending to get promoted than there are promotion places. Like Albert said though, whether they are quality will be found out in time, but no more than would be the case for Premier League signings too.

MF SHAK and Beardsley's Stylist like this.
  4. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

McCormack for 13 million..... Would he be worth it to try and fire us back up?

Captainchaos. likes this.
  5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

For me, yes.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Championship players for championship teams.

7. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Or Sunderland "no players for a nothing team"?

I'm iffy about our dealings - Gayle may come good but the price was crazy - but I'd be bricking it as a Sunderland fan. Time will tell, Moyes must have some ideas.

8. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

This is exactly where teams need to be careful, yes we need to build a team to make sure we go but what happens if you know a player isn't good enough for the Premier League.

9. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

When Keegan gained promotion back in the 1990's our two and then three key strikers were David Kelly, Gavin Peacock and then Andy Cole. Kelly and Peacock were sold, with thanks, pretty quickly after promotion was secured.

I expect the same again with one or two of our buys this time round.

That's football.

10. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

You're just not quite sure who the equivalent of Kelly and Peacock are this time around. We've certainly already sold our best 2 players in Wijnaldum and Townsend which is disappointing but who will step up this time around? Perez and Gayle?

11. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

There's always one surprise package that comes from nowhere when a team is successful.

All I'll say is that I've given up pizzas in the last couple of weeks...

:)

12. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

obsessed

13. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Do you mean players we are buying to play in the championship, or players we're buying from championship clubs?

Our 2 big signings have been regular premiership players that could have easily gone to other premiership clubs, so with prem prices going mad, this is to be expected. The only player we've bought this far from a champ club is Hanley, and seeing he was their captain and Scotland captain, he wasn't going to be cheap, but I think the price was reasonable in the end. If we end up paying £10m for Knockeart, it's a sign that things are getting out of hand...however I hope we do buy him, he looks brilliant and it'll be a big blow for Brighton and make them less of a threat.

Can't imagine a championship club has ever spent this big, basically we're spending like a Prem club, which is what we've gotta do if we're gonna get out at 1st attempt.

14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

<laugh>,

anyobrien likes this.
  15. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Fair point, we're spending like a PL Club and Sunderland are spending like a...

bankrupt tramp.

<laugh>

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

please log in to view this image

newcastle wanna play, but they are not quiteup to it.

17. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Horses for courses. We buy players somewhere between Championship and PL quality. Most will be able to make the step up to play some part in a PL squad (perhaps not as starters). I'd imagine Rafa sees Sels, Hayden, Ritchie as players who could play fairly regular in the PL. He probably sees Hanley, Gayle, Gamez as players who could form part of a PL squad. If we could add say Hughes and Knockeart they would add to those could play fairly regular. Essentially we appear to be doing everything right in buying players a bit better than the division we're in. Rafa certainly has no excuses for failure as he is getting his own way on everything. Which is very strange.

Sunderland are rocking a little once again. New season, new manager - one who has been a bit of a failure overall aside from his time at Everton. I actually think they've dodged a bullet with Allardyce. Better they are left with the memories they have of his short spell. Remember they've done this before - his win percentage was probably no better than someone like Poyet or O'Neill but that all turned sour. Generally Sam ends up being hated by most clubs he manages bar maybe Bolton. He always defends himself by saying they always go downhill after he leaves, but the thing he misses is the lack of enjoyment he brought to them clubs. He thinks its all about league position - to most fans, whether they realise it or not, the most important thing is actually enjoying watching and supporting your team. Sunderland will have to hope they don't get worse without him mind or we will be like ships in the night if we get promoted <laugh> At least Moyes has quite a bit to prove, he'll be nothing if not motivated. Again though its another manager who doesn't seem to understand enjoyment of football. The one thing Allardyce has done is left them with a good nucleus if M'Vila signs back on. Him, Kone (if he stays) and Kirchoff are the best players to play for Sunderland in quite a while. That's three players in massively key areas to build a team around. Goals is once again the issue though. They are completely reliant on Defoe once again - he isn't getting any younger and normal career progression suggests he'll pick up more injuries. Although my mackem mates assure me Watmore is ready to step up and they have some Swedish youngster who will surprise this season. They need players though.

Overall I think we have a lot to look forward to this season. Things are less certain down the road in a tougher division where you need a higher quality of player, but potentially if Moyes can get it right, they might actually have a season where relegation is not a constant concern. At present the smart money says it will be but you never know.

18. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

The recruitment has been pretty decent from us I think. As has been said we seem to be picking up top level Champ players and mid table PL squad players who should be enough to get us straight back up but we still need to add a few more in as the number of games we will be playing requires the additional squad depth.

As for the Mackems, I reckon Moyes will do alright for them. A steady manager who focuses on the basics. I'd expect them to get quite a few draws this season but agree they could do with some more firepower (unless of course Watmore and this Swedish lad live up to expectations.)