1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea vs Burnley

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

you cannot have cescy for in a 10 man team, especially when we are looking to counter and Bats cannot really hold it up ala costa.

Cescy is an 11 man team luxury only and even then there needs to be plenty of legs.

only saw the first half as i had to go out afterwards but as soon as we went down to 10 and conte bought on a defender to make it 3-4-1 i knew the day was over with burnleys sturdy defending.

We just literally had zero attacking impetus as Dave is useless as wingback in an attacking sense, kante can't really attack and cesc is in our own half most of the time. That meant it just left bats to get bullied, willian to try dribble it past everyone and alonso.

At least we saw morata come on and score and assist.

I hope contes learnt some lessons from this on personnel

StanDMan likes this.
  3. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I didn't understand that first sub at all. He could've just put Azpi back with Willian wing back or gone to a back 4.

If he wanted to tighten things up after going down to ten men then fair enough but it didn't seem that way with our shambolic defending.

DferPolarBear likes this.
  4. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Early days but Rudiger doesnt look like an upgrade over Zouma.

5. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

You lot seen Chelsea's next 6 games? You could be in for a very bad start

6. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

So could they. People like you seem more concerned than we do. <laugh>

7. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

An avoidable defeat. More than one player can carry the can. I saw some real fight too, Luis and Azpicueta bleeding the most Blue. For me I saw Burnley sharper than us, more than a few early Chelsea tackles late before Cahill got sent off. For me that meant, and I said before his red card in the Dfer Matchday chat room, that once again our commercial pre-season failed to prepare us for the start of the season. OK we fly a long way away, but we need more games in it as intense training may build strength but the speed of thought wasn't addressed. I don't care about the preseason losses just that we play.

I wanted us to go and stay at 4 at the back after Cahill went, to give us a chance to counter over the top of the Burnley midfield five.. We became far too narrow up top and it showed when in the second half, when the damage had been done, we did decide to stay a back four. We got back into the game. People may say such and such was poor and they'd be right but no one player lost us that game. Some may say such and such made a positive difference and again they'd be right, but ultimately poor tactical decisions lost us this game even with Cahill off the pitch. I'm not calling to sack Conte, but for this one match he was our worst element.

StanDMan likes this.
  8. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Conte learnt that last season after Goons defeat. He doesn't have to relearn anything.
    He was clearly sending a message to Board.
    I was crying out for Boga to stay, but Conte didn't listen and paid with that match.

I know Cahill, Cescy & Alonso are plain - but Conte is persisting with them and is paying or will continue to pay if he doesn't change.

9. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

We didn't start particularly well last season either. The middle and the end wasn't bad though.

StanDMan likes this.
  10. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Middle & End won't be too bad, if Conte of last season returns and makes common sense decisions <ok>

11. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Doesn't look too flash but neither did last year.
    A tad early to be getting concerned, but you do look to have bought and sold better than our twits. Mind you, so does everyone else. If I were a Utd supporter I'd confine my time to worrying about City.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Some very predictable meltdowns on this thread. Someone in particular must have LOVED that Cahill red card.

Every season we tend to have a game like this, hopefully we are getting out the way early.

Very very bad day at the office but lets see what the next few weeks bring. Maybe some of the replacements and youth will now get the chance everyone has been clamouring for all year.

13. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

You what? You saw a different game to me. When we were down to 9 men we were outclassing Burnley with direct and incisive football and had the game gone on for another 15 minutes we would probably have won 4-3.

14. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Common sense is called as Meltdowns by some smart people <ok>

15. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Some people should try and support their club even when things don't go brilliantly. Or just go and follow whomever is top of the league....

Blueman likes this.
  16. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Just a shame the game didnt last for 115 mins instead of the paltry 90 - the main point I was trying to make was the lack of pre- season games where it gives you a chance to test formations - the same thing happened to us just before Jose's last season with us......prevention is better than cure.

Bristol Blue likes this.
  17. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

1 game people 1 game.

If we are no where near the top 4 after 10 games, then I will start to worry.

Agree with Bristol, we had Burnley by the balls for the last 20 minutes, especially when Morata came on.
    He needs to start, and if we can keep 11 men on the pitch, it could be a decent season.

We had this same **** 5 games into last season after our back to back defeats against Liverpool and Arsenal, we were completely written off.....and look what happened.

18. diegocosta197

diegocosta197 Member

Where is Costa? Oh yes did u see he was watching the game.... in his home town lol. Bring him back F U Conte.

19. diegocosta197

diegocosta197 Member

20. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

I thought that both the new star signings that are Rudiger and Morata played really well. Morata looks world class and when he's fully match fit and played for the full 90 minutes he's going to cause serious damage to opposition defences. I'm really looking forward to this season.

StanDMan likes this.