1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham 2018: Antepost Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by DreverSpur, Mar 20, 2017.

1. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

Afternoon all!!

With it being a slow day I thought it a good idea to get one of these started as it's never too early, right?! <laugh>

Rightly or wrongly I've dipped into the market for next year - I know there will be those that roll their eyes but I don't mind being judged by strangers on the internet <cheers>

Reason why I'm so keen is I have dialled back gambling for some time as due to work commitments I can't really dedicate the time to study. Whenever I feel the urge I intend to top up the following horses in doubles, trebles etc.

Would be interesting to know people's thoughts a year in advance and revisit this every now and then. No problem with people not sharing my view, I just like to get the opinions of people more knowledgeable than me.

Oh and before anyone pipes up with "I would want 10/1 about so-and-so lining up a year from now" and all that other claptrap, don't bother because this is after all called gambling <cheers>

Ekbalco99 likes this.
  2. DreverSpur

Right let me kick things off with my first foray...

Supreme - DEBUCHET 14/1
    Arkle - NEON WOLF 8/1
    Champ Hurdle - FAUGHEEN 7/1
    Gold Cup - YORKHILL 8/1

Also looking forward to seeing the return of ROBIN ROE from the Skelton yard. Hadn't been asked a question when falling in the Challow where the eventual winner went on to finish 3rd in the Neptune.

3. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Ante post is for mugs

floridaspearl and DreverSpur like this.
  4. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Neon Wolf for the Arkle? I'd say he will be more likely to be a JLT or even RSA horse.

DreverSpur likes this.
  5. DreverSpur

I'm looking back at the Haydock win Nass. Was so impressive over 2m and has plenty of speed in his pedigree.

My idea for the JLT or RSA would be DEATH DUTY but I haven't got involved with him yet.

6. DreverSpur

<cheers>

7. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I would want 10/1 just for Neon Wolf to turn up a year from now

DreverSpur likes this.
  8. SaveTheHumans

Neon Wolf agus Death Duty all stay over hurdles. Death Duty either vastly underperformed at HQ or is highly overrated. Neon Wolf is very useful and could land a blow in the CH next year.

9. NassauBoard

He's a big bull of a horse, no reason to drop him down to 2 miles and I'd say he wants further than he got at the festival. Very exciting horse when seeing a fence

10. DreverSpur

These last two comments are precisely why I love this sport - One horse (NEON WOLF), 3 vastly different opinions between us.

Can't wait to say "I told you so!!" a year from now though lads <laugh>

SaveTheHumans and Doalittle like this.

11. NassauBoard

Fry has said that NW future is over fences too

12. SaveTheHumans

Well to be fair, any decent horse over hurdles will eventually go over fences or at least try to once they don't turn out to be Hurricane Fly.

13. stick

stick Bumper King

Good luck to you drever but Yorkhill in the Gold Cup. I have three in front of him without even thinking about it. Very lucky in my opinion to win at this Festival.

14. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Can't believe that Might Bite is 14/1 for next years Gold Cup, when he was clear turning for home in the RSA I was thinking wow this is a serious animal. Yeah he ended up scraping home in the end, but it was more down to idling than actual tiredness, as he showed there was more in the tank to battle back after being headed.

I agree with Stick in regards Yorkhill, it was a weak race the JLT, and he got quite fortunate that Top Notch belted the 2nd last, as Top Notch finished the stronger, and would have been a serious challenge without that error.

I also think Yorkhills price has a lot to do with him being Mullins trained, but the trainer should be a negative, not a positive given Mullins poor record in the top chases at the festival. Douvan yet another horse you can add to the long list of star novice chasers Mullins has had who've failed to follow up in the championship races:biggrin:

15. stick

stick Bumper King

You shouldnt lose sight of the fact that the Gold Cup is two furlongs further than the RSA fella. The race you need to be backing him for is the King George. I think he will hose up in that. Would love to see him run in the Aintree Bowl too!

Doalittle likes this.
  16. NassauBoard

I just think that the RSA was a modest race this year, I can't have Whisper as a genuine top class novice and the key opposition didn't turn up (American). I'd love to see a sectionals for this years RSA compared to last.

17. King Shergar

Well I could see him winning that too. I don't think the extra 2 furlongs will be a problem next year. He did find when Whisper went past him, so I'm not convinced he's lacking in stamina.

18. King Shergar

Well I don't think the current lot of Gold Cup horses are anything special either.

Whisper was still a G1 winning hurdler so he's useful. American looked good the other day, up against a group of trees who weren't good enough to run at the festival. He might have run well had he ran in the RSA, but let's not get to carried away the RSA is a whole different ball game to a handicap at Uttoxeter.

Connections avoided Cheltenham to, because they know American is an out and out mudlark, who wouldn't have enjoyed the ground at the festival.

19. stick

stick Bumper King

On the sectionals this years Gold Cup compared unfavorably with last years effort from Don Cossack.

20. NassauBoard

Agree on this years Gold Cup, but I'd rather have Native River, Thistlecrack or Sizing John over Might Bite. I think they'll make sure he is taken on, and he will crack under his pressure.