1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chester, initiatives for 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by SimonJ, Mar 28, 2017.

1. SimonJ

SimonJ Well-Known Member

Interesting read, I thought.

http://www.chester-races.co.uk/news/chester-announce-new-initiatives-ahead-season-start

especially this:
    " A mobile solution, facilitating the placement of bets on digital devices, without the need to make multiple visits to traditional points of sale, is to be launched by May " though of course it will necessitate subscribing to a ChesterBET service or app no doubt, but at least a step in the right direction ( or am I too naive? )

Also mention for improvements to Bangor which made me smile:

" whilst racing at Bangor-on-Dee may attract a different audience to Chester " Indeed!
    No substance to the rumour that the improvements are actually a shed load of BangorBET umbrellas handed out to every racegoer as they enter!

Cheers.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Like betting on your phone? At a racecourse? How novel

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Making a bet on the track, either on the tote/pari-mutuel or looking for the board with the best price is part of the atmosphere

4. NassauBoard

Disagree, getting the best price trumps that in my book.

Ekbalco99 and Chaninbar like this.
  5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Absolutely. At Cheltenham I didn't have a single bet on course or with Tote (or whatever it is now). Best price guaranteed, better % on places and extra places all trump 'atmosphere' in my book.

Ekbalco99 likes this.
  6. NassauBoard

Same here for the first festival it was all backed online.

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ah well, you regular racegoers will know better than I. Especially as I couldn't back on line anyway <laugh>

8. Chaninbar

Some of the rail prices were scandalous Ron. I've no idea how they stay in business when the on line options are so much better.

9. Chaninbar

Going back to the Chester initiative how about getting rid of the tented bleedin village in the middle so you can actually see the racing. And Bangor need to run the other way round so the finishing straight is side on to the crowd rather than head on which is rubbish.

Ekbalco99 likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So the quickest and easiest way to make money betting with no risk is to be a bookie on the rails with access to the best prices on line

Chaninbar likes this.

11. Chaninbar

Funny you should say that Ron but you're spot on. A mate of mine who went on a different day and studied the rails bookies for a while reckons that is exactly what was happening.

Ron likes this.
  12. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

you'd have to pay me to go to Chester races , rip off prices , poor fare on the drink and grub , full of hen and stag party's , nah , at least Bangor gets less of that crowd and the beer and grub are cheaper and better even though run by the same outfit -- oh and the racing is over obstacles mainly

13. Chaninbar

Agreed Rudey. But if the went right handed at Bangor it would be spot on.

14. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

are there good reasons why courses race in the directions they do , obviously there is a spread of left or right and the odd ones that switch like font well -and Windsor that apparently educate horses ? so I don't know why Bangor is left handed , apart from having to turn all the obstacles round and annoy all the trainers and connections who have had success with it as is .........?

15. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

My local track Wexford recently changed direction and also now solely runs only NH there which was a good move as it was too sharp and too steep going the other way downhill towards the line. Now it's an uphill climb with a better run in and not as dangerous. Lost count of how many horses lost their lives at that 2nd last in Wexford previously so the move was common sense prevailing and it's now a better track and safer for the animals.

Perhaps Bangor may one day move clockwise.

16. Chaninbar

Bangor is pancake flat so no issue with gradient STH. I've no idea why they don't race the other way because there is bank along what would be the finishing straight which would make a great natural viewing gallery. I would genuinely like to know why they race left handed because it makes no sense from a race goers perspective. Last time I went you couldn't even get along side the finish line even if you were prepared to walk down there. As Rudey says it is a great place to go racing apart from this one monumental floor. I do wonder if it is yet another sop to Cheltenham in that the likes of Nicholls, Hendo, King and even McCain (who is based close by) like their novices to race left handed in preparation for the festival. That last sentence could be complete bollox though.

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  17. SaveTheHumans

Sounds logical to me.

Chaninbar likes this.
  18. the don

the don Well-Known Member

Stick is a big advocate for Chester Racecourse.... I would think putting him in charge of PR / Marketing would instantly swell the numbers.... Think Stick said its his favourite course anywhere in the world.... high praise indeed!

19. SaveTheHumans

How many pints of Ale does he usually have before arrival <laugh>

20. Chaninbar

Stick clearly likes scantily clad drunk northern girls. There are definitely worse places to spend a sunny afternoon.

SaveTheHumans likes this.