1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chinese buyout resurfaces

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by woolstonian, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

And there's me hoping that, just for once, it wasn't.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Hmm, West European money is all in West European clubs, I'm afraid. Don't fear too much though. Chinese companies own Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid. And WBA, of course. It would probably be worse if the owners were American... cringe-worthy stuff.

What's the Cardiff thing.?

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Only the attempt to change their strip....don't think I'd like to be in blue for some reason :rolleyes: Still red is a lucky colour in some cultures so perhaps not. :)

4. TheSecondStain

Is it a coincidence that red is lucky in China.? ;)

I thought for a moment you'd thought that Vincent Tan was Chinese [cos he's Malaysian.!].

5. fran-MLs little camera

I was generalising with just my concern about Asians in general having a different view of life and sport. Can you imagine a British or European owner thinking it was fine to change strip colour to that of your greatest rival. Look at the fuss when we lost our stripes one season (though I actually liked our 'Liverpool' strip).

6. TheSecondStain

Ssh.! So did I. Must have been just us two.

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I remember looking into them a lil and one of their co-founders is a billionaire if I remember correctly.

As I said before, I am kind of glad we aren't going to be in Europe next season. The summer is going to be busy as it is. There are still other groups looking into us as well. Time for people to accept Kat is all but gone, if all goes well.

8. fran-MLs little camera

Whatever happens, I will always be grateful to the Liehberrs...not just saved us of course, but put us on a good path. I know it was also a business decision and a profit will be made, but profit isn't the dirty word that some try to make it out to be. Markus and Katharina have meant well by us....this was no cheap buy, slap a bit of emulsion on and sell for a quick profit job.

timatoketchup likes this.
  9. TheSecondStain

Crikey, yes absolutely. Without Markus's ready money and interest, and Nicola's eye for an extremely interesting investment, this forum would only exist as a memory lane, and that would be the best of it too. And as far as I'm concerned, Katharina is owed a big profit, which she'll undoubtedly get.

10. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

It doesn't say she has accepted just that they have increased their offer. We have no idea whether she will turn them down again or whether someone else will swoop in with a better offer. It could rumble on for while yet.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Yeah I read the bloomberg page but it doesn't really tell you that much. Obviously we know they are a relatively large organisation already as they are in talks to takeover Saints. What it doesn't tell you is any data regarding their current financial state and performance. For all we know they could be debt ridden or failing to make a profit. Luckily this is the sortve thing Kat and her people will be looking into, lets hope they conclude with little doubt they are a financially sound and reputable option.

12. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Three!

TheSecondStain likes this.
  13. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

No worries! Financial fair play regulations will ensure everything is cosha & above board! <laugh>

14. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Haha, yes. All owners are "fit and proper" these days, right?

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I am glad that it reports that Kat will retain a stake initially.

The way I am looking at it is say hypothetically she wants £225 million. They offer her £190 initially, with an option to buy out the remainder £35million. This will probably be based on the current share price. Now Kat wants that £35 million minimum, so she will make sure that they can make the company grow and her shares aren't worthless in a year, as then she would only have got £190 million for the club if you get what I mean. Also, if they are going to make the club grow, then the remainder of the shares will be worth more and she'll get more for the club. This is why I am not so worried as Kat is a business woman, and cares about the club. Two things that hopefully ensure that we get sold to the right person.

Sorry if that doesn't make 100% sense, but I have had abut 6 hours sleep in two nights and am knackered :)

16. TheSecondStain

Well yes, one has to take all the little snippets of separate info and form a vague whole. One would expect Lander Sports Development would have the moolah to buy Saints fairly comfortably, otherwise what is the point.? They have already acquired parts of the club since Jan 26th 2017. Then you look at the companies they deal with and it isn't small fry stuff. So, no detail, but one gets a feeling that these are major players-ish. And Kat's people will have done the necessary due diligence.

17. TheSecondStain

That's not a bad shout for someone who has had 6 hours sleep in 48. :emoticon-0113-sleep

The only thing I would banter with is the £225M, as there have been one or two reports that Saints have been valued at £250M. In the Bloomberg link there was also a £250M figure being bandied about re: Saints.

18. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

How is the club valued? In £. euros, swiss franncs or dollars. The reason I ask is that property in some countries like Argentina is in $ as the peso has a very low rating. With the £ destined to join the peso's ranks, it would be better to use a currency that retains its value.

19. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

How topical - new Chinese owners have submitted 4 designs for consideration for the new badge

Hollowfire+Halo+Dragon.jpg Hollowfire+Halo+Dragon.jpg

20. fran-MLs little camera