1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Hughton

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by royalbarclayfan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

What could be more satisfying
    Than securing his Premier League place,
    At a ground and a club where he took such a frying
    At the end of a long, hard-fought race

That is one of the scenarios
    That Brighton might face very soon,
    Stay tuned to your PCs, TVs, radios
    As they send up the blue-striped balloon

I must say it´s not undeserving
    This year they´ve been better than most,
    If, as expected, with minimal unnerving
    They get their noses past the post

And alright, it´s not over quite yet
    And some collapses do occur,
    But they´d need to dive faster than a fighter jet
    For them not, very soon, to be sure

And if, when on Friday, we meet
    They´re already both safe and sound,
    It would be warming to acknowledge his feat
    With some sort of ovation, all round

He´s certainly one I´ll be following
    In the Premier department next year,
    Let´s hope, at the same time that we are not wallowing
    At the wrong end of this second tier.

ncgandy and canary-dave like this.
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

He'll deserve all the plaudits he gets, he was successful at Toon, Birminham and Brighton, the only place he "failed" was at FCR.

I wish him all the luck in the World!

<rose><rose><rose><rose><rose>

royalbarclayfan likes this.
  3. royalbarclayfan

Me too.

canary-dave likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

He served us up dour, dross, negative football which was almost as painful to watch as it is at Carrow Road now.
    I wish the man no I'll but I really can't understand the love in for him.

Oh hang on, I forgot he's a very nice man isn't he <doh>

General Melchett and Resurgam like this.
  5. royalbarclayfan

It´s got nothing to do with him being a nice man, although he certainly does comes across as being one, but everything to do with the lead up to his sacking, and the actual sacking itself, where I think he was very poorly treated. In both cases, he had my sympathies entirely, and I´m delighted that he is getting some reward, and on the way to proving a lot of people wrong at NCFC. And incidentally, you´ve always talked as if being a nice man is some sort of a crime, and the only sort of football man worth admiring, is a loud, foul-mouthed bastard - I can´t really believe you´re being serious. Maybe you won´t be one of those prepared to give him an ovation when he arrives, but I´m sure there will be plenty of other decent folk around, who might. ;)

canary-dave likes this.
  6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Not wishing to rake over old coals RBF, but had he been sacked earlier we probably might never have been relegated. The decision to keep him in the job for so long was in all probability down to the Stowmarket Two and I would wager that if McNally had had his own way he would have swung the axe sooner.
    I was one who berated McNally at the time but the more I think about it, the more I'm of the opinion that he walked because his hands were being tied by that bloody woman in the boardroom <ok>

7. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

...... edit:- Some managers don't fit at certain clubs, Hughton didn't here certainly towards the end of his tenure anyhow.

8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Do we really have to go through all this again? Hootun maybe a very capable championship manager, But he was ****e for us. His football was negative dirge that no fan could want to watch. That was not cause Snoddy didn't like RvW, it wasn't because he was unlucky and it wasn't because of the players or board were no good. Hootun was awful, wrong place wrong time with limited skill or acumen to turn it round. He has a lot to prove at PL level. And whilst Brighton look a good championship outfit with a fighting chance of staying up, it is far from a shoe in, their squad like any promoted team will be poor, couple that with a manager who's first instinct is to try not to lose and they will be very lucky to stay up.
    Do I hold ill will toward Whotun? A little yes. He wasn't as bad as the Roedent, but he served up some of the most soul destroying footy I've ever seen and took a club on the up into a tailspin not yet recovered from. I just dont get the love in either? Do you all want Lambert to inspire Wolves to promotion? I know I don't, and he in tandem with Grolt n McNally really were great for our club. Hughtun may turn out to be a good manager over his career but why would I give two figs if he does when he ballsed up here?

Bah!

DHCanary and KIO like this.
  9. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Moot point really as he's left us far behind.
    He must be gutted.

royalbarclayfan likes this.
  10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head I can think of several games where we had around thirty (30) shots at goal but lost 1-0 under Chris, that doesn't sound like negative tactics to me, more like wayward striking efforts. It was only when the crowd started baying for his blood that he became ultra defensive!

11. royalbarclayfan

I´m not trying to rake anything up either KIO, I just think it would be commendable and entirely appropriate if Hughton received some sort of appreciation from City fans when he walks out on Friday night, and I have no doubt that he will.

No, we don´t have to go through all this again Melchy, that was never my intention, and with all due respect, isn´t it as much you as anyone, putting us all through it again? As I explained to KIO, I think Hughton deserves, and will hopefully get, some sort of appreciation from City fans on Friday. That was the sentiment of the thread, no more, no less.

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I shouldn't bank on that RBF, football fans have long memories and he's more likely to get a chorus of boos from sections of the crowd (not me I might add).
    As I said on another thread, I still bear a grudge against Coventry for 1985 although my main resentment is against Everton for fielding that under strength side in that match. I will bear that grudge against Everton as long as I can draw breath <grr>

13. royalbarclayfan

still

I remember that game very clearly too KIO, and I was also annoyed at the team Everton sent out, but while some people ( and I guess you fall into that category) will bear a grudge for life, over that sort of thing, I let it go after a couple of days - just the way we´re built. That´s why I bear no grudge against either Hughton or Neil, or in fact any NCFC manager ( and there have been a few) who have spectacularly failed to come up to expectation.

All water under the bridge, bearing a grudge won´t change a thing, except making me miserable. :)
    Everton are still a Premier League side, and we´re still not. :(

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

"To err is human, to forgive divine!!!" <ok>

15. General Melchett

But would you all be applauding Rafa and Newcs if they were confirmed promoted at our place? All I'm saying is that there are 20+ managers who have had little or no connecting to city who I couldn't give two figs about except to possibly applaud them off the pitch collectively at the end. Hootun for me is not in that neutral category. He has wronged my club so whilst it's water under the bridge, if it's a choice between him and someone who hasn't subjected me to that dross football I know who I'm picking.
    I don't like hootun (I don't hate him or even the rodent), so have no wish to extend him any real courtesy over and above that for anyone visiting our club.

Bah!

KIO and JM Fan like this.
  16. royalbarclayfan

Not sure whether you are asking that in general, or of me in particular, but my opinion is, that anyone who has had an affiliation with NCFC, and particularly someone who has since gone on to have success elswhere, should get a round of appreciation when they return. No doubt there´ll be some who feel like crucifying him, and who will show their disapproval, but there are always those at every club, fortunately there are also normally enough decent folk, to counter-balance them. And yes, if Rafa and Newcastle were coming to Carrow Road as champions, I would give them a round of appreciation too.

I still think and expect the Hughton cheers to outweigh the Hughton jeers on Friday.

canary-dave likes this.
  17. royalbarclayfan

Sorry Melchy, but now you are sounding stupid, he hasn´t wronged anyone´s club. He came in, did the best job he could, under at times, very difficult circumstances. Following the ´Messiah´ was always going to be impossible. From day one, he was being compared, and compared unfavourably, with Lambert, that he lasted the pace as long as he did, is a miracle imo. At times, yes, the football his teams dished up was dull, dour and boring, but as Dave pointed out, the fans had a big part to play in that. If anyone can be accused of wronging ´your´ club, it´s those who appointed the novice Adams to take over. People seem to forget, that when Hughton was sacked, we were still 5 pts clear of the relegation places with 6 to play. If that is deemed to be the right time to make a change, and the intention is to try and stay in the PL, then you don´t replace an experienced manager with someone like that. What that did, was throw in the towel without a fight.

ncgandy and canary-dave like this.
  18. General Melchett

Sorry Melchy, but now you are sounding stupid, he hasn´t wronged anyone´s club. Ok so wronged may be the wrong expression, but he came in and did his best. His best in tandem with our incompetent board was not good enough. In fact it was pretty damned ****. He came in, did the best job he could, under at times, very difficult circumstances. Following the ´Messiah´ was always going to be impossible. Not if he had tried to play football and actually inproved the team or squad. From day one, he was being compared, and compared unfavourably, with Lambert, that he lasted the pace as long as he did, is a miracle imo. It was no miracle, it was utter incompetence from the board. At times, yes, the football his teams dished up was dull, dour and boring, but as Dave pointed out, the fans had a big part to play in that. Now who's sounding stupid, he waved a white flag and stuffed 11 men behind the ball not the fans, fairly sure that was the last thing we wanted and heaped more pressure on him. If anyone can be accused of wronging ´your´ club, it´s those who appointed the novice Adams to take over. On that we can definitely agree People seem to forget, that when Hughton was sacked, we were still 5 pts clear of the relegation places with 6 to play. No we don't, we are just certain he had lost them all already, we were tailspinning without fight and the only reason it was the wrong decision to sack him even so late was to give him a get out of jail, he and deluded folk such as yourself can suppose he might/may/would have saved us. Just no, whether its because the team were beat, he'd lost them or that the fans were by then poison. He had no chance! If that is deemed to be the right time to make a change, and the intention is to try and stay in the PL, then you don´t replace an experienced manager with someone like that. What that did, was throw in the towel without a fight. As I say the towel had been thrown, when Delia at al kept him on past Xmas, Feb, March take your pick every training session, match or minute he remained at the club was a concession of our fate. I'm not arguing that the board did then the stupidest thing possible, but hootun was crap for us in my opinion.
    Would you give Roeder a round of applause if he returned? I guess you must like failure and bad football?

Bah!

19. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Brighton promoted.

Hootun did good !!!!

20. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Yes well done to him and Brighton.