1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City-based T20

Discussion in 'County Cricket' started by smhbcfc, Sep 14, 2016.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Cricket in England looks set for its most dramatic change in a generation after the counties voted in favour of city-based cricket.
    Offered five options by the ECB executive, the counties (plus the MCC) voted by a margin of 16-3
    in favour of Option Four, which will see a new competition played by city-based sides and starting as soon as 2018. For the first two years, at least, it seems the tournament will be broadcast by Sky and not involve England players. Both those factors may change after a new broadcast deal is agreed for 2020 onwards.
    The existing NatWest Blast competition is also expected to continue and is likely to be played in the weeks before the city-based tournament, which will be held in July.
    ESPNcricinfo understands that only Surrey, Kent and Sussex voted against the proposals at the meeting attended by the chairmen and chief executives of all 18 counties and the MCC.

So what would the 8 Cities be? Here's my stab at it:

London - Middesex, Essex & Surrey
    Southampton - Hants, Kent & Sussex
    Bristol - Somerset & Gloucs
    Cardiff - Glamorgan & Worcs
    Birmingham - Warwickshire & Northants
    Nottingham - Notts & Leicester
    Manchester - Lanchashire & Derby
    Leeds - Yorkshire & Durham

Personally I think 9 would have been better with 2 London teams (Middlesex and Essex in the North and Surrey & Kent in the South) This would give a team a "rest" in a rotation of games.

2. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I guess an alternative would be for the franchises to pick players at random - e.g. Tim Bresnan could play for London and Adam Lyth could play for Cardiff