1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City did us proud today

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Jan 25, 2015.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Forget the fact that we lost today and look at the fact that we lived with, and sometimes bossed the game, against an in form team from the Premier League. At many times during today's encounter we were the better team and lost the fixture to a great goal scored by a timely substitute and possible poor defending.

Today gave me the opportunity to see City live and I came away feeling proud of the effort put in by my team. I am sure Big Sam and his squad are very happy to be wending their way back to London with victory in their back pocket but I also think they, and the rest of the footballing world, will now have a greater respect for the transformation that has happened at Ashton Gate under the direction of SC.

Now it's back to the business of the rest of the season and the next match against Gillingham to gain a place at Wembley. I just hope the obvious disappointment of today doesn't cause them to lose their focus and my message to them all is "well done" and please help me to delay my return to Canada by making my year by allowing me to see you all at Wembley.

Thanks Steve for giving us back our self respect.

2. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

We were the better team first half but the longer the game wore on West Ham did come more and more into it. Sakho was a different class and a game changer in the end. We did terrific in the end, but I couldn't understand Little coming off for Wagstaff.

I thought at the time that Redprint wouldn't be happy, but after seeing the analysis of their goal, did you see who should have been picking Sakho up, but didn't?

Good to see Agard back at the end, we are going to need that extra striker.

Any ideas why Elliott didn't play with Saville replacing him. Certainly wasn't injury as far as I could see

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Had we scored one or even two by the break it might have been so very different

We were also a bit predictable with the high ball to Smith although it nearly paid off

JET and Freeman just lacked that little bit of class with their final ball, especially in the 1st half which was frustrating, but yes the whole team did us proud and it was only a few seconds of Premiership class that beat us. Other than that we'd be rightfully going to a replay.

4. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

Your boys did you proud ...... like the look of your team ...... certainly a championship side now <doh>

5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'Wagstaff.
    I thought at the time that Redprint wouldn't be happy, but after seeing the analysis of their goal, did you see who should have been picking Sakho up, but didn't?'

If that's the only cock up you've seen from that useless tw*t then give me help.
    He never ever gets close enough to challenge, girls don't !
    Even Cotterill named and shamed the idiot after.

Cotterill got the team selection right and I came away proud of City today, we were brilliant.

6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yep the boys did great today, it shows how far we've come since last season.......Promotion now please!

Minxy likes this.
  7. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

No, I'm with you as far as Wagstaff goes- Quite surprised he came on

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

They couldn't tell which side was the Premiership side during the half time pundit talk. A fantastic effort.
    Wagstaff was at fault for the goal which was disappointing to say the least but Sakho was a class above and caused us problems from the minute he came on.
    Disappointed we lost, but I would rather that than a replay in our congested schedule.
    We didn't disgrace ourselves - far from it.

Same effort against Fleetwood now please lads......

9. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

Same effort they will, this team knows no other way!

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

LITTLE was knackered, he had lost a couple yards of pace..would rather have seen pack ossie or Elliot replace him, then maybe later on waggers for Tav but you never know at the time,
    no bookings, unlucky no goals but now lets concentrate on the league..thats where the work is needed

PROUD

11. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Yep, Little was completely blowing out of his arse! and not for a lack of effort..

Cotterill noticed Waggys lack of defending that cross and made it public!

Very proud of the boys today.. Wagstaff you only had to put the effort in for 8 mins??

12. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Little came of as he ran out of steam, note how he did not have the energy to track back or fill in the space when the goal scorer hit the bar, all Little's fault, he was spent. I said to myself at the 67 min mark, we needed to bring on Agard and Elliott as The midfield was tiring and Smith was running through treacle trying to beat their Centre backs.
    Wagstaff was V Poor when he came on though, he did help show the gulf in class!!

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

you were unlucky, but that's the way it goes. Smith had enough chances to win the game for you, but sometimes you just don;t get the rub, we played poorly in the first half for the second game running but picked it up i the 2nd, once Valencia was subbed for Sakho, (I don't think I've seen an international winger with worse control than Valencia). but don't undervalue the big man either, stopped a goal and set up the winner.

And the gulf in class is really just a gulf in consistency, if you played that way every week you'd be far and away at the top.
    Good luck for the season

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Tavinier was not playing?

15. Angelicnumber16

He was cup tied having played for Wigan in round 3

16. RedorDead

Yeah I know but JGF said bring "Waggers on to replace Tavand he's the only player I can think off to be called Tav? Unless he means Saville

17. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

One word leaps off my screen more than any other in this thread - pride. And one name comes to mind above the rest - Cotterill.

And if there is a better midfield player outside the Premiership than Korey Smith I've yet to see him

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  18. Angelicnumber16

We can take a lot of heart from the performance, I just hope we now don't have a multitude of Championship clubs sniffing around our best players.

The West Ham game is gone, we now need to see the job through against Gillingham and get 3 league points on Saturday

Onward and upwards

19. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

Little is always knackered after 20 minutes, I don't think he's the fittest player we've ever had, but the wing back role is probably the hardest position in football.

20. RedorDead

He's also got an injury, think he's hurt his shoulder this week, so Cotterill didn't really want to start with him but didn't have too much choice. Which should keep Redprint happy that Cotterill don't rate Wagstaff for 90 minutes.
    Shame really because every time Wagstaff scores we don't lose.