1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Clive on being a yo-yo club

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by mcytiger, Jan 18, 2017.

1. mcytiger

mcytiger Active Member

2. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Very interesting.
    Thanks for posting. :)

3. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting piece and good old Clive sticking the knife into Kneecap...........good man.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  4. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

A good read, interesting how many here would share the same view as Clive rather than paying their hard earned money watching us lose on a regular basis.

Championship for me - but challenging for playoffs not just avoiding relegation.

Didley Squat likes this.
  5. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Clive prefers Championship but happy to yo-yo.
    I'm ok with that but with the money we spent we might have been an established PL team not fighting relegation every season like Hull or Sunderland.

Ranger74 likes this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've often tried to work out how that 'other lot' down the road did it in '95 and pulled it off, and how we royally fecked it up. Not that I'd ever want to be like them, but it would be nice to get back to like we were between '83 and '96, and spending at least thirteen years in the top division and the odd attempt at European football.

UTRs, Uber_Hoop and QPR Oslo like this.
  7. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Clive, there is nothing worse than having spent the gross national income of a small country on tickets and travel to go to a game knowing full well we were going to get stuffed.

8. Ranger4ever

Somebody needs to wake up 999's as he's dreaming again - European football last time I remember was Peter Eastoe's diving header against AEK Athens.

9. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Yo-Yoing is painful. It contains one possibly great season (we went up with 'arry and that was a poor season) and one terrible, embarrassing one (the following season). I am a fan of real football so I tend to like the Championship for several of its qualities. I also hate the way football is going, with the EPL leading the way. But I do want QPR to be successful, of course.
    Yet I'll be happy as long as we play well consistently, have good characters in the team and seeing several youngsters come through. The occasional cup run, scorcher of a result and culls of kinds. I'd be happy with that in the Championship or EPL.

kingdom hoop likes this.
  10. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

My last memory of European football was beating Partizan Belgrade 6-2 at Highbury. We would've qualified again in 1988 if Heysel hadn't happened.

UTRs, mapleranger and Ranger4ever like this.

11. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Actually, now I come to think of it, what Eastoe diving header v AEK Athens? I don't remember that one.

12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

We never spent that much for a PL team, doubt we spent as much as either Hull or Sunderland for instance. We spent badly too of course

PL for me.

13. Ranger4ever

That must'very been me dreaming in school days

14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Simon Stainrod scored a diving header in the 6-2 victory v Partizan at Highbury, maybe that was the goal that you meant.

15. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

The other thing I used to hate about the PL was the way away fans get ripped off on ticket prices. I have no doubt QPR did the same but it was galling to pay £56 to sit in a corner flag seat at Old Trafford with a crap view while you had relatives with brilliant seats behind the goal in the United end who only paid £36. To add insult to injury, we sat back, didn't even try and got stuffed 4-0 as Clive says.

16. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

There's always an element of chance / good fortune. Warnock with the team of six weeks ago? Probably no use. But Warnock + Ale + Adel + the other grafters just all came together very nicely and was a great promotion year.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  17. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

A lot of people are saying they don't like yo-yoing so l have some good news for you.

The string has been cut .................. we aint' bouncing back up anytime soon, people.
    Sorry to burst your bubble.
    We'll be 'walking the dog' in the Championship for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not.
    We've gone from spending stupid money to not spending squat, so until we can find a balance and build right, mid table
    is probably where you'll find us.

Either way, they will always have my support.

18. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Thank feck for that, there was a time I thought we might yo-yo into league one

Didley Squat likes this.
  19. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

The wider argument points to the cost of attending a game. It's the single biggest contention of the fans.

The difference in quality of football between the Prem and Championship is considerable, so the question is 'Are we happy to sacrifice quality for cost?'

In this day and age, the answer would have to be yes

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Prem all day for me but I see that the club is not in a position to stay there. We have had 2 chances recently and blown it while clubs like Leicester and Saints have taken full advantage.
    We really need a new stadium 35/40K have reduced ticket prices, a good youth set up academy and training ground.
    A chairman that is not a half wit and a football business brain like a David Dein.
    Then we may have a chance.

UTRs likes this.