1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Club Statement on Ranieri

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Foxy in Foyle, Feb 7, 2017.

1. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

Well we always have an interesting season. If we go back a step Pearson built this club in modern times. He put the backroom staff in place oversaw the under 23s becoming well coached and performing and transformed the training facilities all admittedly with new owners money. He then won us the championship and after a dodgy start had us riding a wave with the great escape. When Ranieri arrived it was still Pearons backroom staff and team with one exception that took us to the title. As others have said never in my lifetime did I expect my team to be champions and for that I will always love Ranieri. However this season without Walsh we have spent millions on some apparently good players who have either been incorrectly motivated or not played in systems/positions that suit them and they have generally been poor along with some of last seasons richly rewarded champions. Its a fact of life, poor performers are moved on no matter what you do. Ranieri will now go down as a Leicester legend and rightly so. He has conducted himself with professionalism and integrity and I hope if he wishes to stay in management that he gets another chance somewhere. He can always say he managed the Leicester to be Champions of England without the tarnish of relegation. But the right decision has been made. We are/were only heading in one direction, now with fresh ideas we have an opportunity. At the start of last season if someone had said would you take relegation after winning the league I would have said of course. Not now. This feeling sucks being where we are. Sorry that's a bit of a book.

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

I was hoping he'd say until at least we played you after Liverpool.

Now you'll probably get that new manager bounce and turn us over.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  3. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

4. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Very mixed feelings over the sacking. As others have said, Ranieri brought a breath of fresh air to premier League football especially compared with the self-centred antics of the likes of Mourinho et al. He was always polite and dignified, and I'm proud to say not only that he managed my club, but also took it to its finest achievement ever, all with a humility and sense of humour that clearly endeared him to everyone in football and not only in England. He got the name of Leicester City known across the globe.

Should he have been shown more loyalty? Maybe one more match to see if the battling last half hour of the Seville game could be taken forward to the Liverpool game. But it's unfair to criticise the owners too much. They have always dug deep into their pockets to bankroll the football club and rewarded the players well for their achievements. They have also looked after the fans well with free matchday treats. They didn't have to do those things. But, like it or not, the success we got had to be paid for. They invested hugely in the club, and presumably King Power and the Leicester City connection must be a huge source of revenue for them in the Far East. To drop out of the Premier League would be a huge blow to their business and would directly affect any future investment in the club. None of us knows what was going on behind the scenes (yet). Some players were still putting in the effort, while others looked to be going through the motions. Ranieri didn't seem to know which way to turn. He'd pick players and they didn't perform, and neither did the ones he picked to replace them, so he had to resort back the old guard. He stubbornly stuck with 4-4-2 when it clearly wasn't working without Kante. We couldn't attract the calibre of player we needed to take us forward after last season. We aren't an established top 6 club so the top players weren't interested in coming here. Kante didn't want to be here so had to be released. Success in football can be fleeting.

As for the future, we have a core of good talented young players at the club who haven't always been given a real chance. As long as there isn't a split between the players then we have a chance of avoiding relegation. Whether they were for or against Ranieri is in the past, they now need to perform as a team and show just what sort of men they are. And to Claudio? Cheers for the pleasure you gave to every fan and everlasting thanks for what you did for our club and the city of Leicester. Good luck in whatever you choose to do next. You'll forever be in the hearts of every Leicester fan who was lucky enough to have witnessed what you masterminded last season.

5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

100% this ^ <ok>

6. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

Very well put, agree entirely :emoticon-0148-yes:

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

30 years ago this would be a surprise, but surely no one is particularly surprised by this news, they've looked like a team heading for relegation for months.
    People go on about loyalty but the only loyalty in football is from the fans. I don't feel particularly sorry for Ranieri, he's probably been given a nice golden hand-shake worth more than most earn in a life-time. In truth he's been given the time to turn it around but hasn't, though I feel they should've done it in the beginning of Jan to give the new guy a chance to buy a player or 2.

8. JohnTheFox

Good to see there are neutrals not being brainwashed and manipulated by the media hate storm. Good one you.

Fact is, in life, if you aren't performing in your job you will be let go. You make a good point about how well he would still come out of it

9. Big Ern

I think it's sad he's gone, but it's the harsh realities of the 'modern game'. it's all about the money, and going out of the EPL is so much more than was 'back in the day'. A bit of a victim of his own success, if Leicester had ended up in the relegation fight due to bad luck I'd feel a bit different about it, but you havn't been unlucky, just crap and disjointed, his statement after the Southampton game really showed the problem, his players didn't know how to play in the system he asked them to, the big question was why, and whose fault was it, and the only answer was Ranieri hadn't prepared and coached them too.

10. JohnTheFox

I agree, I love Claudio and will never forget what he did. He should get his statue and freedom of the city whatever.
    But...
    We don't live in the past or off sentiment. If the players have back stabbed him I really wish he'd resigned and gone on his terms but it hasn't happened that way and it's sad. But nobody will convince me otherwise that parting company isn't in the best interests of the club

11. Big Ern

If he'd had another blinding season and Barcelona had come calling, anyone believe he would've stayed at Leicester?

12. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

As is football these days, and if he had stayed, i would have had us down as a banker.
    I would rather gamble on a chance to stay in the league than applaud Ranieri for taking us down in our first championship game next season.

Don't kid yourself, Rafa stuck it out with Newcastle, they were never going to get better than him.

Its a very odd situation, and their will be plenty of Ranieri chants against Liverpool, but the club have done whats right for Leicester City, and that should be the bottom line in all this.

leicester_ed likes this.
  13. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

If Hull City where in the last 16 of the champions league and only 1 down from first leg having won the league the previous season .

I would go ****ing nuts if we sacked the manager EVEN if we went down.

Personally I would have trusted Ranieri to take us straight back up having rid the club of the lack of effort players .

Just my view

14. FILEYseadog

Have they ?

We will see at the end of the season wont we if you go down.

15. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Well i do say its a gamble, Im glad the owners have done something rather than done nothing because i couldn't see anything changing. Our performances havn't been "unlucky" in the last couple of months, they have been embarrassing.

This is all Hulls fault to be fair, couldn't have just let us have that one on the opening day could you :emoticon-0114-dull:

FILEYseadog likes this.
  16. JohnTheFox

And by being probably the most genuine visiting fan to visit this board, you deserve a genuine response :emoticon-0148-yes:

I think what people need to realise is that this cannot be just results based as the owners have proven that they stick with their manager through that. It has to be untenable behind the scenes. I've seen comments on social media like sack the team not the manager. Whilst I agree with that sentiment, what a load of ****e, it's not possible to do that

FILEYseadog likes this.
  17. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

It's somewhat ironic that all the 'experts' and media types who were mocking our owners for appointing Ranieri in the first place are now vilifying the club and the owners for their decision now.

Our owners have been excellent. In the circumstances now, they were damned if they didn't, damned if they did. I doubt they really wanted things to end this way with Ranieri, they were obviously aware there was a problem and hoped, as we all did it could be resolved. It hasn't so they have chosen to make a decision, which they believe is in the best interests of the club.

18. JohnTheFox

Of course they wouldn't have wanted as I'm sure none of us did. What outsiders are failing to realise is there's a difference between not wanting it to end that way but realising that the situation has become impossible and it is necessary. I got accused of being an ungrateful bastard on the premier league board. Purely realistic

Foxy in Foyle likes this.
  19. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

I know you mean that genuinely, and understand. In the euphoria (drunkeness) of May I'm sure we all said 'don't care what happens in the future, we've won the PL'. But months of dismal performances and results, staring at relegation, we've sobered up and have changed our minds. Premier League survival is paramount.

20. FILEYseadog

I hope I am wrong

I often am

Looking foward to visiting your ground and meeting up with my amazing Leicester City supporting surgeon who is a Leicester City fanatic.

The man who performed an operation on me while awake because I was to ****ed by chemo and no one would do it at the time as I wasn't fit to be put under

LEICESTER CITY

I hope we BOTH stay up

If we lose v you I will go home happy for my great surgeon who saved my life.

Up the Tigers. ( and the foxes )

I also have a Leicester City supporting friend STILL alive though diagnosed as terminal 8 years ago who lives in Leicester but not well enough to get to games

( l hope we beat you of course )