1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Clyne "I want to play in the Champions League"

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

.......or their decisions........

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

You've used your brains on this one. For us, 10th-11th would be a fair season given Europa and anything above that good. So unless you're aiming low probably not near you again. Not biased - don't think Brendan will see out this one, sorry if you like him.

Sharpe* and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I think he'll do a lot better there this season. It would be a delight if he didn't and was farmed out to Peterborough on loan though.

OddRiverOakWizards and fatletiss like this.
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

He's a quality player and that will shine through. I just hope that Brenda dicks him about by having him in and out the side so his quality can't shine through :)

I know, I'm silly, but what the heck!

5. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I agree, only Brenda's ability to tinker with the teams set up and swopping players about all the time will cause Clyne any issues.
    As a full back in a flat back four he is good, didn't look comfortable when we played as a back five as he is far better defensively than he is attacking as a wing back.
    He also needs runs of games, two seasons ago when he was injured a lot and was in and out of the team and lost his place to Chambers at times when he was fit.
    In summary, if Brenda mucks about with him he will go the same way as our other Scousehampton group and be very disappointing and a waste yet again of millions of pounds

6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

You're more generous than me.
    I wish Lallana exactly what I wished him last season. A season full of niggling injuries, so that he is never fully match fit and able to play as well as we know he can.
    And then if Brenda wants to dick him around, then that's good as well.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Whilst looking for a picture of Nat Clyne in a Pool shirt I found an accompanying article which made me chuckle. It said something like,

He has it all. After progressing steadily through the ranks of UK football he has capped it by joining Liverpool from Southampton

Years ago that implication would have annoyed me. Now it just makes me laugh. :)

8. Wally Gog

Wally Gog New Member

9. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Trying to play up the "Clyne said he wanted CL" angle still makes no sense whatsoever.

Like Liverpool, we are also not in Champions League. Would we all be trying to laugh at Clyne or implying he's a liar/hypocrite if he signed for us?

10. fatletiss

You're now the one keeping this going :)

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Basically Clyne wanted to leave Saints...he was determined on it and it happened. Arguing about the CL issue is a red herring....he'd rather be with Liverpool in the Europa than with us. Just live with it and move on (after having a little laugh of course).

12. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Naw, not really. I'm over Clyne. If people are mad at Clyne or just want to get some digs in, I've never had a problem with it. Or Lallana, or anyone else. I mean, that's sport(s). Part of the fun is disliking teams and players for somewhat arbitrary reasons that matter only because of who we choose to root for.

I'm just saying that every player who signs with us will 1) Want CL football and has probably said so at some point in the past, and 2) Be okay with not actually getting it in 2015-16 so making fun of Clyne is this manner is a little way also kind of a slam on our own players.

You can just make fun of Clyne because he refused to sign for the greatest team in the world, and is instead signing for a crap team like Liverpool. :D That's all that was really ever needed. And besides, we all know that is true. :)

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Why be angry at Clyne when we have the whole of Liverpool and Spurs to spread our dislike. Like a sour margerine.

14. Bad Liver

Bad Liver New Member

For Liverpool it's a win win situation. We've got Johnson off our wage bill (one of the highest earners). He's been shocking for the last 2-3 seasons, and we've replaced him with a better, younger, cheaper player. In that sense we can't lose on this one.

Now we can finally play with a back 4. Something that we simply had to avoid for most of the last 2 seasons due to Johnson being such a liability.

15. Le Tissier's Laces

I'm sure he'll do very well for you. Good player. Hardly anyone beats him one-on-one.

Can't cross for toffee mind you.

16. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

You needed a right back. You got a right back. At a decent price, and one who you know can be good in the right situation. In that sense, there's nothing to dislike about the signing.

But the biggest problem has always been what to do about the Sterling thing and how that changes the plans for the attacking side of things. Or if the defensive issues are not related to the personnel but rather the tactics and coaching. Really it just comes down to whether Rodgers and co. know what they are doing or they lost the plot some time ago. If they have gotten things straightened out, then they've picked up a decent player who can help them. If they haven't, Clyne isn't going to address that issue.

17. fatletiss

Oh I'm glad you've cleared that up. I honestly thought it was because Brenda was a clueless muppet and just enjoyed playing players in different positions :)

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nope, you were right. Only Brendan would play a decent centre mid as a right back when the team had no decent midfielders <ok>

19. fatletiss

Who is this Brendan you talk of?

*Brenda*

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Typo :bandit:

fatletiss likes this.