1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Coming and Going

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great news

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What happened to the "never go back" theory chaps? I see Banton isn't exactly working out for you as I did say he might not and now you sign old Paris once again. I was never convinced about him although to be fair he didn't do too much wrong with us. Had him down as a bit of a big bollox type who only had so much talent and was at capacity. Guess he did ok for you the last time around and also guess you are hoping for the same again. Will we see him at Home Park next week? As for opening sentence, I never think those who return ever live up to previous hype somehow.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think Stewart and Harriman are doing well. Paul Hayes has been great but he seems to be struggling with a recurring injury lately. Don#t think there are any more. Banton didn't come back; he has been ours since we signed him from your good-selves. Went out on loan and came back (not because we called him back). There is a player with wasted talent.

We have another player with wasted talent. Not sure what will happen with him.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was meaning Banton was loaned out, presumably the thought being a bit more permanent than it turned out but has come back. I knew he was your player officially. He came here originally on loan and was fantastic. People bayed for him to be signed permanently and were over the moon when he came back again. What a flop he was. We have had a few over time who went and then returned and I can't think of many who succeeded the second time and I just think that's often the way.

6. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

We have had a few too Greeny. There are some (as Ron says) that buck the trend, but more often than not, they disappoint second time around. I think Paris enjoyed it here and we got the best out of him. He knows the Ainsworth way so it won't be any shock to his system.
    I can see us getting zilch out of next weekends game. We are lacking a bit of quality this year and it's often guts and desire getting us through matches. When you here how shoestring our budget is for wages etc, we are really over achieving and credit to Ainsworth for that.

Ron likes this.
  7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have commented a few times on our board about budgets and have to say there are some clubs I wonder how they even manage to keep going with their gates. I looked up our average gate this season so far the other day and it said it was 9100 or thereabouts. Compared to many many others in this league that is mega. My argument being that there was no way our Board budgeted for that many and therefore there must be a surplus of cash at the moment to play with. Why then no comings and goings to quote your thread title. Well a couple of goings on loan but that's about it. We must have made around £250k over budget so far this season. You can't tell me wages in this league are much more than £1k - £1.5k per week top notch unless you signed for Portsmouth. That £250k is a couple of small fees and £1.5k per week each for someone reasonably decent. Our Owner though is an ex Merchant Banker (yes spelt right) and he spends nothing on the team or anything else for that matter. People see us as a big(ish) fish in this league and given the gates that is quite reasonable. But, we spend no more than others when we could which evens the field up considerably. Might seem strange to say but we are over performing given the size of the squad and expenditure.

Our home form is worse than our away form for some stupid reason. Every team that comes here has a reasonable expectation. That isn't me being an eternal pessimist either. We have struggled for results from quite a few games this season at home. Don't write off your chances just yet even if I hope you are right. We haven't been terrible exactly but if we could better the away results at home as you would probably expect then we would be promoted already.

Ron likes this.
  8. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

It does seem to be a thing in this league about teams being better away from home than at home.
    Our gates are good compared to some Accrington & Dagenham to name a couple but way down on the top three or four clubs in this league.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The worrying thing about attendances is that we used to get bigger crowds at Loakes Park when we were just an amateur team.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think expectation increases with improvement in league positions and of course price increases. If a team isn't performing to what a passing supporter wants to expect then they don't want to part with the increased expenditure to watch them. To some extent that's understandable. Your floating supporters want to see success for their extra wedge compared to non-league days Ron.

11. philhythe

In those long lost days there was little else to do on a Saturday afternoon not a lot competition back then. It is also a problem for more recent clubs who have joined the football league (30 years or less) even Wigan struggled for years for crowds in the Premier league. In the last few years Yeovil playing in the championship were probably getting lower attendances than Luton in the conference.

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just had a look at inflation rates. In 1952 I could get a bag of chips for threepence (3d). Apparently, the equivalent today is 35p. That's 28 times the cost. It then cost (if I remember correctly) 1/- to watch the football. So the equivalent today would be 28/- or £1.40. I bet you can't get to see Chesham for £1.50. Basically the admission price for Wycombe has gone up by 10 times (or more) the rate of inflation. I'm sure salaries haven't matched that. Maybe that partially explains the drop in attendances.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's all relevant to the times Ron. My annual salary (yes annual) when I first went to work was £130. That was as a baby sailor. That bag of chips for 3d or 1.5p as it is now would cost around £1.50 which is an increase of 100 times. I'm not sure youngsters would understand the prices then and now to be honest. The things is having a history as a club which often dictates the size of gates now. Portsmouth have been in the Prem and won the FA Cup. They get 16000 in league 2. That was fairly recent and they have maintained a lot of the support. Luton were once a top league club. Yours and mine have never reached such dizzy heights so we have never attracted the numbers to maintain. We were Championship which is probably why our's is higher attendance than your's. This is a reflection of more recent times and not way back when football crowds were often 25000 everywhere.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That makes sense. Haven't checked but I'm guessing that small clubs that make it to the Premier may never get the crowds that an established Premiership side gets.
    To think that in 1998/9 Man C were in L2. Now they are the 5th richest club in the World. But they had the history you mention:
    "The club's most successful period was in the late 1960s and early 1970s when they won the League Championship, FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup under the management team of Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison. After losing the 1981 FA Cup Final, the club went through a period of decline, culminating in relegation to the third tier of English football for the only time in their history in 1998." (When Wycombe did the double over them <laugh>)

15. philhythe

I agree with greeny clubs that were league teams a long time ago seem to attract bigger crowds even when in league 2 & the conference

16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting discussions on QPR board re Matty Phillips

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully, the rumour about Wycombe in talks with Barnsley re Pierre is unfounded.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  18. philhythe

Thought Matty Phillips was a few years older than 24 feels like a very long time ago he played for us

19. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Banton leaves the club by mutual consent,no loss!

Guywanderer likes this.
  20. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Its TDD hear it all here second!<laugh>