1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Community shield

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Aug 6, 2017.

1. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good to lose I guess. Hope it is not a repeat of 2015 (Awful, awful year) when we lost to Goons in Shield.
    But Conte is gentleman unlike Jose.

Positives - hope we get reinforcements needed.

Negatives -
    Cescy cannot play for us in there with Kante. We have no hope of Top 4 with Cescy as Main stay in that midfield.
    Conte needs to make his subs earlier. That is one of a rare criticism from last season. Today also paid with Pedro.
    Tony conceded goal and prevented Morata from hitting the winner.
    Morata missed penalty. Morata looks slightly lack of confidence. That is worrying sight to me.
    I don't want to use the T-word but he reminds me a lot of Torres. Hope it is Early year Torres.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Yep - definitely not a competition to slit your wrists over along with the league cup, the real business starts next week. Our record in the Charity Shield has been lame ever since Everton turned us over in 70 so not a biggy; I will gladly trade the shiny silver salver for the 3 pts at the Bridge in September - hopefully that memo has been passed around the team....eyes forward!

StanDMan likes this.
  3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I've been saying that all year and i've noticed this is something he does. He might change tactics a little but very rarely changes personnel (rather frustratingly) whether we are losing or winning. I think there was only 1 time he made a change and that was against city.

I don't think that's going to change anytime soon

4. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I just hope this loss against goons is more like Summer 2016 than 2015 Summer.

Conte fixes everything up and puts Cescy in the bench for crucial matches or play him further up the pitch.

5. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

I was at the game behind the goal and we soaked up the pressure from Arsenal in the first half. Overall, I thought we played OK. Looking at the online write ups - about the incidents I couldn't see at the other end of the pitch - it looks like the referee had a poor game in not awarding the penalty to Willian and in sending off Pedro. Right in front of me I thought that Morata should have left the header that he missed in the closing seconds to Gary Cahill who's an expect at scoring from that range.

For me, the big game is this Saturday against Burnley in the defence of our Premiership title. COYB.

Blueman likes this.
  6. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Agree that Contes' always too slow to use his subs. Fabregas was horrible yesterday and added nothing .Forget about more defenders and strikers, unless and until someone is running the midfield and feeding the strikers we won't compete with City and Utd this year. if that's this kid from MONACO, why didn't he get a run ?
    Refereeing aside, we should have won that game, and what was Courtois doing taking penalties? A bit of a worry that the £60,000,000 striker can't hit the goals from straight in front and 12 mtrs out. !!!

7. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

Indeed, we should have won. All the hard work in soaking up the Arsenal pressure in the first half was wasted. Courtois taking the penalty was pure theatre, he struck the ball like he was taking a goal kick. Writing of Morata, we'll have a better idea of his real worth when he's more settled at the club. I hope he's played against Burnley and I hope he gets a hat-trick.

Blueman likes this.
  8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Bakayoko is recovering from knee surgery in the summer.

I think courtouis has always taken prns whereever hes been

9. chelsea - over 100 years of history

slightly concerned none of our new signings appear ready in Conte's eyes to be starting and with Costa and Hazard not available, Moses and presumably Pedro facing bans, we'll have about 3 players available for the start of the season!

10. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

KaBooMMM. Arse played good and you need your top game and we didn't bring it. I'm not going to Ref shame on Pedro, I can't I've been big in the past on tackle from behind even when the ball is won, they are just bad and El Zorro's effort was truly horrendous. Apart from our left being overrun (see Matic appendix b) we were OK. The ball from the FK high into the area after we just moved Dave to left WB and bring on Rudiger into centre didn't help our marking at all. In fact after the goal we got organized again. Yep self inflicted.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    BobbyD likes this.

11. Chelsea Pensioner

How bad is the Bakayoko injury? Have to admit this passed me by.
    Selling Matic, especially to Utd, is perhaps the dopiest decision of recent times, at least as bad as selling Bertrand and Ake, with no decent replacements in the loop. Hope Conte is not behind these moves because they have all directly weakened an already flimsy squad. And if Courtois is considered our 2nd choice penalty taker, then God help us. Looks as if the Accountants are winning the Team selection stakes, not the football personnel.
    Staying positive about this season is going to be harder than I ever imagined, our sales team have been hopeless in my eyes and our buying team even more so. I strongly suspect that behind the scenes, many top players simply do not want to be at Chelsea anymore, because of the turnover factor and no evidence of planning for the future, only for the present.
    Let's hope Rudiger, Morato and especially Bakayoko are extremely good players, because if not, we look to be well behind our fiercest competitors for a campaign in the PL and the CL.

StanDMan likes this.
  12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

apparently routine keyhole surgery. He will be back after a few games in i think.

I wasn't averse to selling Matic, 40m for a 29 year old is great business especially 1 that isn't a world beater. Would have preferred to sell him abroad but i think Roman was repaying his loyalty ala Cech to Le Arse. Highly doubt Conte was behind that move as he sounded miff in his conference and when asked about he said ask the club.

I would be worried if Conte walked but i have faith in Conte. I don't think he's great at the big games but he's a man who knows how to steamroller the small sides which is what you need in the PL

13. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I don't think its the case that Conte isn't good against the big sides per se, just that we haven't got a squad to compete with particularly the Manchester clubs. He over achieved winning the league for us last year. Our net spend compared to the mancs is very small. If they don't finish 1 and 2 it'll be a big failure on their part.

14. Chelsea Pensioner

i think we will go pretty well but come the new year, the CL ramping up,hopefully a run in both cups, we will be seeing 11 very knackered players unless some decent new blood arrives. Still a bit of time left but who is going to run our midfield with all the transfer talk being wingers and defenders?
    have to trust Conte with that task, and sccept he just doesnt rate any of our youngsters. january sales could be interesting.