1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Compassionate European football fans

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by cidered abroad, Sep 3, 2015.

1. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34142261

Britain's intake of Syrian refugees in the last year is 250 (approx).
    Germany in the same period 30,000.

I always thought the British led the world for compassion to those in need.

2. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

The pictures on social media of that little boy on the beach are truly shocking but didn't we take 300,ooo immigrants in the last year? an increase in the total of 200% above the Govt target?

I would also say (and I don't know the figures?) that you would need take the figures across maybe 5 years to see if we are particularly worse than other countries, it seems to me refugees travel across various countries to get to this one so there must be something here thats not all bad.

Redprintt likes this.
  3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Shocking pictures from Turkey
    BUT
    This country is full to bursting as witnessed by the congestion everywhere....and we already have lots and lots of immigrants thanks to short sighted politicians, some of which would happily kill us all.
    Do I want to pay even more tax to support these people ? In short, no I don't.
    It's not like we're importing Doctors. Lawyers etc, and why do the TV pictures show the majority of these people to be young men ? Ok there are a few women and children, but why is it disproportionate ? Where are the older people ?
    And we also have major child poverty and depravation in our own towns and cities, but again, we are now the 2nd class citizens and we have no say.
    For once, instead of bowing to what the rest of Europe want, why don't we sort out our own people ?
    These people are from the Middle East. What's wrong with them going to the UAE, Egypt, Israel etc ? Because every good migrant knows that they'll have it a damn sight easier in Europe...have a free house, money, clothes etc
    I get the feeling that the Tories want to tell the rest of Europe to take these people, but they are bowing to pressure.
    Enough already !

4. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Estimates are that between 2-5000 immigrants have reached Calais so far this year, between 1-2% of the figure that have reached the shores of Italy (number 200,000). Of that 2-5000, 7 in 10 reach the shores of blighty.
    The media are calling it the worst immigrant crisis Europe has faced since the second world war.

Already dysfunctional countries in the middle East, such as the Lebanon, have taken in over 1.5 million of these refugees from Syria and Afghanistan who are fleeing the war zones.

Germany, France and Sweden actually offer to pay the refugees substantially more if they stay (which invariably they do), which is probably why Germany accepted 97,275 last year, France 68,500, Sweden 39,905 and Italy 35,180 against our princely total of 10,050. Compare our acceptance of 180 Syrians last year to that of Turkey's 1.8 million.
    If per population, we would be even further behind countries like Austria, Greece, Belgium and Holland.

Still, shocking pictures from Turkey eh !

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/10/10-truths-about-europes-refugee-crisis

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever been more moved than the sight of that little boy led face down on that beach.
    For me for a brief moment I was looking at my 20 month old grandson.
    Heartbreaking.

As for a solution don't expect anything remotely sensible from our or European leaders.
    Angelic, quite rightly asks :'These people are from the Middle East. What's wrong with them going to the UAE, Egypt, Israel etc ?'
    Can anyone answer that question ? Maybe not Israel but why don't Muslims go Muslim countries.
    They find everything abhorrent about our society and yet want to flock here.

Was on top Mendip last night having a quiet pint and overheard a conversation about 'these migrants'.
    If your roof has a leak you put a bucket under to catch the drips till you mend the roof.
    If you don't mend the roof the bucket overflows.

Germany is massive as is France compared to the UK.
    We have taken millions of Europeans since the idiot Blair signed up to uncontrolled immigration.
    We now need to build 300k houses a year to cope with our ever growing population.
    As for the infrastructure need - you're having a laugh.

Just seen Rickster's comment from afar about Sweden accepting 39,905.
    Typical BBC/Gruaniad left wing misinformation.
    Rickster - how many Poles live in Poland - there's more in Shepton Mallet than live in Sweden.
    We're full mate.

6. BrightredRickster

Having spent the past 57 years living in England, in places like central Bristol, Leeds, Hackney etc, I am well aware of the crowding and ethnicity issues.
    Have another read of my thread, where it says per population we are behind countries like Greece (with all their financial plight), Austria etc.

In a 2012 count, there were 81,697 Poles living in Sweden.
    While you're supping your pint, check the facts

7. Angelicnumber16

I too have grandchildren that I love dearly, and the sight of any dead child is absolutely abhorrent under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, I think I am now old enough to have become conditioned (and largely immune/desensitised) to the outputs of many wars, the sight of refugees, terrorism in all it's forms from the IRA to the Russians shooting down Malaysian and Korean airliners, famine, poverty, AIDS, Ebola, Asian Bird Flu etc etc etc. Been there done that. I'm not being flippant here, I just don't take a lot of notice of most of it.

And what about Australia, South America, Southern Africa where there is plenty of space for migrants to settle ? But no. The migrants want an easy life in Europe. With it will come the usual issues.....

This is also the result of the EU removing all the borders within mainland Europe. What a stupid bloody idea that always was anyway. It's asking for trouble.

And the likes of Blair wonder why they are becoming more and more unpopular as time passes, which is the opposite of how we usually perceive our ex PM's and Presidents. I will make a possible exception of Maggie in that statement if you live ooop North. I thought she was brilliant personally.

Red Robin likes this.
  8. BrightredRickster

I don't think you and I will ever see eye to eye with each other on politics or any other serious issues Angelic.
    Just as well we have football to occasionally agree on eh !

9. Redprintt

'81,697 Poles living in Sweden'

As against Millions living here.
    Facts checked.

10. Redprintt

Rickster
    According to the 2011 Census 7.5 million foreigners liver here.
    Not all Poles obviously, but let's not forget Romanians, Bulgarians and indeed Australians.
    God knows how many are here now.

It's not about where they come from.
    We don't have the infrastructure needed and certainly don't have the space you enjoy in France.

11. BrightredRickster

Don't tell me they're moving into the Mendips <yikes>

Surely its about looking after humanity. After all, this planet doesn't belong to any of us.
    Isn't that what our parents fought for ?

PS There are not millions of Poles living in the UK

12. Angelicnumber16

I think you're right Rickster, but hopefully the football will make us forget all about the horrors elsewhere in the world, and the politics, when we click into gear.

BrightredRickster likes this.
  13. Angelicnumber16

Don't forget Somalians, Hungarians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Ukrainians, Albanians, plus all the hordes from the middle east as well.
    And the things that some of them bring such as

Organised crime
    Prostitution
    Fraud on a MASSIVE scale

14. BrightredRickster

Yes RP
    Let them all die !

Then you can sit on your Mendips and sup in peace lol

15. Angelicnumber16

How predictable is this...?

Bristol's mayor is urging people to find a spare room in their homes for refugees, as the council says it hopes to take some of the "desperate".

Wonder how many he will personally welcome to his penthouse on top of the Tobacco Factory ?

Suggest we follow suit like Bradford and Birmingham then and we'll have areas of Bristol where no English is spoken or taught in schools. That's what to do-gooders want. Perhaps we could import some Middle Eastern dust and spread around to make them feel at home.
    FFS !

16. Angelicnumber16

And never mind the 13,000 people currently awaiting social housing or rehousing in Bristol, let's have the Syrian's jumping to the front of the queue please.
    That's how it works in Britain isn't it ?

17. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

What pisses me off more than anything is that it took ONE PICTURE of a dead child to make the politicians decide to let in Syrian refugees. Thousands have died to reach this country, but it takes two newspapers putting a dead kid on their front page for the PM to go from "we're full" to "come in". 90% of what we read about immigration is spin. We're led to believe that immigrants are queuing to come to the UK, when in reality we're probably third or fourth down on the list of places to go in the EU.

I think we as a country are largely full, but the facts state that we profit as a country from immigration. For this fact alone, I am happy for us to allow anyone seeking asylum. Seeking asylum is totally different to general immigration, and that should be emphasised far more. There's a huge difference in someone coming to the UK to work and someone coming over because everything they've known and loved have been wiped out in a war.

With that being said, blocking immigration and political posturing costs a lot of money. That money could've been used to help rebuild these peoples' homes, instead of them being forced to move to a different country. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people that seek asylum here would rather be in their home countries. Sadly, that isn't an option for them.

18. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Let's get real here,we have more than enough immigrants in our country,the majority bleeding it as dry as possible,We do not have the space,infrastructure,or building to take them.

crime is rife in areas where they are,in fact community's are being ripped apart having mass immigrants in their towns.

This government needs to stop the tide before riots happen on our streets.
    The Majority of British people want us out of Europe.

My personal point of view the sooner the better.

19. Redprintt

'I think we as a country are largely full, but the facts state that we profit as a country from immigration. For this fact alone, I am happy for us to allow anyone seeking asylum'

That's where I differ.
    Profit has no part of it for me, we don't have the room or infrastructure Ender.
    Big business loves immigration, they call it cheap labour.
    It keeps 'ours' on the minimum wage and zero contracts.
    I know the reply from some that 'ours' don't want work, but we should spend more on targeting 'ours' who abuse benefits.
    The left will get there eventually.
    McCluskey and co with their huge salaries need shafting.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  20. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

No because in their home countries they get nothing,here we give it to them.
    Sod our soldiers,Sod our own,sorry it makes my blood boil.
    My parents brought me up to respect,however the respect we get from these immigrants is how much can we have or take.