1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Cornmill Hotel to reopen as 29-bed hotel with restuarant and bar

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Nov 10, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

A DERELICT building in east Hull will be brought back to life as a hotel, bar and restaurant.

The Cornmill Hotel in Holderness Road, east Hull, has been left to ruin and has been repeatedly vandalised and hit by fires since it closed in 2007.

In the past six months, it has been one of several empty buildings that has been targeted by vandals.

Now, it has been bought by Saleem Hakim, of SNS Properties, and work has begun to redevelop the landmark building into 29-room hotel.

He said: "We are working to bring the property back to life as an operating hotel with a bar and a restaurant that shall be open to all.

"The property will have a complete refurbishment and we have already spent thousands on keeping it safe and secure."

The Newcastle-based property developer has already had success redeveloping several bars and restaurants in Hull's Princes Avenue.

He has also invested more than £1m into the former Dorchester Hotel in Beverley Road, which reopened as Liberty's American diner last summer.

A new Italian restaurant with function rooms is expected to open on the same site in the next few weeks.

Mr Hakim also owns the former National Picture Theatre and Swan Inn in Beverley Road.

East Hull councillor Adam Williams said he is thrilled to see the Cornmill Hotel being brought back to life.

He said: "It has been such a shame to see the building being attacked by vandals and I am pleased to hear that plans are moving forward to bring it back into use.

"It is good to hear that it won't be an eyesore for much longer."

When he bought the property, Mr Hakim said the building was in a "terrible state" and was piled high with rubbish left by squatters.

The Cornmill Hotel started life in 1838 as an engine-house for the adjoining Holderness Corn Mill, which has since been demolished.

It is locally listed and sits within the Holderness Road Conservation Area.

After the mill closed, the building was converted into a hotel, which shut in 2007.

In 2012, the derelict building was added to the Save Britain's Heritage annual Buildings At Risk report and Hull City Council's planning committee said its renovation should be a priority.

Mr Hakim said he is also considering submitting a planning application to build as extension onto the building to add another extra 66 rooms.

He said: "Hull is in desperate need of hotels. There are not nearly enough at the moment.

"I see a lot of potential in plans for the City of Culture in 2017 and if it is done right then there will definitely not be enough room to accommodate all the people coming."

Plans for a possible extension will be submitted to Hull City Council for consideration within the next month and Mr Hakim hopes to start redevelopment work early next year.

He said: "We will have to see how long all that process takes, but we would like to get it open for 2017.

"Our focus at the moment is to get it secure and get the windows in and clear out all the rubbish before we start work on the interior."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Dere...tory-28143500-detail/story.html#ixzz3r4tYuOni

I hope this one comes off, but he's made a bit a bit of a mess of the National Picture Theatre site.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  2. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It will require a lot of money spending. I drove past recently and it is a complete mess. In this instance it would be more cost effective to flatten it and start again.

3. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I don't know, it doesn't look that bad inside...

please log in to view this image

GLP likes this.
  4. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure it had shrubbery growing through the roof - new I suppose having an en-suite garden!

5. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Ive often thought that with lots of developments but 9 times out fo 10 they seem to refurb them so it must be cheaper / quicker / both.

6. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It is in such poor shape, I can't see how it wouldn't be more cost effective. Unless the building is protected in some way.

7. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Well the article does that say that doesnt it?

8. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

It says it's 'locally listed', whatever that means.

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

They've already cleaned up inside and replaced most of the windows and bits of the damaged roof, so it's weather proofed now at least.

10. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

So glad someone has finally bought this and bringing it back to life.

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Locally listed? WTF does that even mean. It doesn't give any indication what the listing is.

Besides - you deserve an award if you can read an article on the HDM site with the amount of bloody pop ups.

12. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

When did they do that? It was within the last 6-8 weeks I drove past and it was looking as neglected as ever!

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Listed buildings are decided the government and English Heritage, the local list is decided by Hull City Council, it doesn't offer anywhere near the protection you get from a full listing, but it does make it more difficult to get a demolition order. There's a lot of buildings on the local list...

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/pls/portal...DINGS LIST/LOCAL BUILDINGS LIST SEPT 2015.PDF

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

They've been working on it for a few weeks or proba ly more now.

15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Ah, so the Windows will have been changed since I last went past. It needed it!

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I'm trying to think of the timings, but they started work on the inside and the back a bit back. As you say, t'interweb and HDM are not generally up to date or accurate.

17. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

So it doesn't offer anywhere near the level of protection a grade 2 would. It also says 'Conservation Area' given it's got a retail park and KFC across the road they can't take this 'Conservation Area' too seriously!

18. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I know it was a in disrepair last time as I had my old man in the car with me and we both passed comment. There certainly wasn't any evidence of any work taking place.

19. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

On a side note it has only been empty since 2007? It's surprising how quickly a building deteriorates in that relatively short space of time.

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's not in a conservation area, it's only on the local list because of its significance to the milling business, once prevalent on Holderness Road.