1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Could going down to the championship be the best thing for us?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

We have so many young talents, potential stars and players with a point to prove. Few of our players can say they gave their all and are just too good for the championship, if any.

Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Tiote, Colo will all be off, and good riddens. Shelvey off? Maybe. I think he could be persuaded to stay, but I think he's 50/50. He's definitely not proven himself consistent or definite starter.

Mitrovic, Perez and Aarons are 3 players that I think could really use a season in the championship. None of them are guaranteed PL starts.

Mbemba and Lascelles look like a potentially excellent pair. Both have made mistakes and both could use a season together to solidify the partnership.

Armstrong could also do with a season pushing for promition with us. Townsend is a player that could probably get into quite a few PL teams, but he's hardly been immense. He's had a few good games and definitely has potentially, but definitely not a world beater.

Would staying up actually be great for us? Only if Rafa were to stay on, and that's hardly guaranteed as there'll be teams after him left, right and center. If he doesn't stay, we'll like sign another clown.

----------Mitro----Armstrong/Perez--------
    Aarons-New CM-Shelvey--Townsend
    Dummett-Mbemba-Lascelles-Anita/New RB
    ---------------------Elliot/Darlow---------------

2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

No it's probably not mate because I don't think we would come back up plus we will lose Rafa and end up with some idiot with a history of failure.

Flash likes this.
  3. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

It will not be easy to bounce back up like last time. This squad isn't strong enough once the bigger players bugger off in search of glory. Plus as Cc says, we'd lose Rafa and get a cheap replacement.

I can't see us staying up.

I can't see us bouncing straight back up either.

BUT it might not do us as much harm in the long run to spend a few years in the Championship.

4. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I didn't realise that Cathro had a history of failure.

5. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

It's difficult to say. Financially we will take a hit. From a player perspective. We can shift some dead wood. We can attract the best players outside the premiership with the right manager in charge so we might be able to bounce back. There's some top talent with oodles of work rate that we could attract.

The emphasis would have to be on fast hard working young players.

6. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

7. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

8. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

If the whole 'footballing board' is gotten rid of, Rafa excluded, then yes.................. relegation will be good for us. For me the dismissal of Carr and Penfold and the appointment of a credible MD to run the club is as vital as the appointment of any manager or the recruitment of any players.

Obi Wan likes this.
  9. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

No, think it will knock us back big time. Think we will do alright next year with Rafa in charge.

10. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

The best thing would be to stay up, Rafa remain as manager and rebuild the squad. Going down wouldn't be a disaster though in my opinion. Prima donnas and deadwood shown the door, as would hopefully Charnley and Carr, and financially we would be okay for a season in the Championship. I think the players that would remain and be added to in new signings would be more than capable of getting promoted at the first time of asking. I just don't think relegation would be that bad in all honesty.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

No, think it will knock us back big time. Think we will do alright next year with Rafa in charge

<whistle>

12. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Thing is, if we stay up is rafa staying.... I hope so.

But realistically it really does look good for the mackems. They look like they are getting their **** together and they have that game in hand.

For the record WEST BROM might have done us a huge favour tonight...... Leicester look odds on to win with a game to go.....

Spuds might just be beeling from losing the title and not turn up.

We have a fighting chance..... win the next two games and well......

13. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Aarons, Mbemba, Shelvey, Townsend, and Perez unlikely to stay. Even Anita could possibly jump ship.

Relegation definitely wouldn't be a good thing this time - we'd definitely lose Rafa, and we don't have some dependable Chris Hughton type ready to step into the breach. Scrapping around in the Championship with Pearson/Curbishley/Gary Megson? Sounds grim.

And that's before you factor in the Championship becoming significantly more competitive due to the lure of the TV money now, thus spending will be a ot higher going forward; basically I don't think we'd be able to waltz it like we did last time.

Last time when we went down we had a dependable Hughton and a decent core once the lazy pricks were moved on, this time if we go down we'll lose the best manager we've had since Robson and be in a total mess. Staying up massively preferable to going down.

14. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I don't care either way. It would be nice to stay up of course and retain Rafa.

Regardless though Newcastle United goes on and I will be watching them play some form of football next season.

Not sure why relegation is seen as the end of the world. If it threatened the existence of the club then fair enough. I think some fans are a bit too obsessed with the glitz and glamour of the PL. Its nice to be at the top table of course, but the PL does not maketh a football club ;)

15. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Almost exactly my thoughts.
    The only reason I would be "upset" about going down is, probably, losing Rafa

Obi Wan likes this.
  16. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Are we going to win the premier league next season if we stay up?

Are we going to win the premier league in the next five seasons if we stay up?

No. Of course not. We have equal chance of winning the league in this division, as we do playing in the championship unfortunately.
    So what does it matter?

Another season of abject misery and scraping the barrel please, the crowds roar...

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  17. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

In Rafa Benitez, I believe we have the best Manager at this club since Sir Bobby Robson.

It is absolutely vital that we stay in the Premier League, keep Benitez here and start to progress.

Relegation would be a nightmare and i'm not sure we would bounce-back like last time - in fact i'm sure of it.

Championship football is never going to be a good thing for Newcastle United - we would get left behind in financial terms and we will be left drifting in the lower leagues just like Leeds United and Sheffield Wednesday have been for years...

18. Travelsick07

Travelsick07 Well-Known Member

If we somehow stay up, and Rafa stays with say on transfers, I see us finishing between 7-13th next season. With the players we have and the addition of centre half and striker of Rafas choice.

Hell if we're in the championship so be it. Football is football. I'll still enjoy it.

19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Exactly. Football is not the premier league, too many are getting brainwashed. Of course we all want the club to do as well as possible and compete as high as possible. Its just not club ending if we aren't competing at the highest level. Relegation is never a good thing for a club in my opinion. I just don't think its a picture of doom and gloom like some like to paint.

Ellis Short Is and Obi Wan like this.
  20. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking but the truth is we'll be playing in the Evo-Stik League Premier Division in 5 years as we "tumble down the divisions". We will go through all "the usual suspects" jobsworth managers one by one: Curbishley, Ince, Joe Kinnear, Ossie Ardiles, Maradonna, Ian Dowie, Joe Kinnear again, Jim Smith (on a life support machine), Phil Brown and Steve Kean. All the club's best players will be given away in exchange for training bibs and cones as we will be "forced to sell them for nothing" in a "fire sale". The club will lose money hand over fist and when we "go to the wall" we will be forced to move out of St James' Park and into a ground share West Allotment FC.

Either that or we will bounce straight back up.