1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Crawley Town v Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Final whistle, and it's 2-0 to the mighty Pompey.

Up to 3rd place in the table, in an automatic promotion place at last.

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Apologies - I forgot to add a few <party><party><party><party> !!

3. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

Well at least the team turned up tonight..... and Burgess Bennett and Naismith did good. :D

Only really Luton to worry about now, but still 11 games to go.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Third place. Now let's bloody well hang onto it. PUP

3rd eye and Wooperts_duck like this.
  5. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Great result and thanks for the thread Woopert.
    Luton and perhaps Stevenage to worry about Third Eye. They appear to be on a good run and we have a 'six pointer' with them away Sat week. I hope our results stand up in the mean time.

Wooperts_duck and 3rd eye like this.
  6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Only downside tonight is the injury to left back Enda Stevens.

The only reserve player we have in that position is youngster Brandon Haunstrup, unless Cookie decides to switch Kal Naismith there.

We could always go three at the back though, with Jack Whatmough alongside Christian Burgess and Matthew Clarke.

7. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

I suppose the big question is does this win paper over the cracks of the previous two games?

We often hear of Pompey coming up against 'park the bus ' tactics with the opposition consistently getting 9 or 10 players behind the ball.

Pompey seem to play in a similar defensive vain with a lone striker and dominant possession accompanied by limited adventurous forward movement. If possession is the best means of defence then this could be seen as more skilful variation of 'park the bus.'

In one sense I have some sympathy with Cook's consistency in playing the same system. It is difficult enough to get players to play to one system without varying it from game to game.

However, if the other side score first a defensive system - 'park the bus' or non attacking possession football - has to change.

The best approach might be to try and make the other side be the one that has to change ie score first. Easier said that done.

The Pompey approach appears to be to play a defensive system for 60min and bring in substitutes around the 60 min mark to be more attacking if we are losing or drawing at that stage.

The earlier you can get a goal the sooner the other has to change! Wouldn't it be better to attack more from the start?

I think a primarily defensive system is the best way to achieve mid table and avoid relegation. Pompey are safe at this stage.

To get promotion I think you have to have a more attacking mind -set. To get automatic promotion now I believe Pompey have to be more attacking. Otherwise the good one game bad the next form is likely to continue and we will be overtaken by a team that comes home with a consistent run of results.

A perhaps secondary issue at this stage is also the type of football the fans want to watch. Pompey must get good crowds to compensate for being a supporter owned club not propped up financially by benefactors. Are the season ticket sales going to stand up with the style of play that Fratton Park has witnessed this season?

All of the above based on what I have read in the press - not what I have witnessed - of course.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well done to you tonight and I'm glad somebody has something to cheer about. We were absolutely pants tonight. How we are 2nd looking at tonights game I have no idea. This is on the back of beating the team who were in 3rd. If we keep doing what we did tonight then you may very easily finish second and we will finish somewhere in the play offs but only with luck. We made Blackpool look like Barcelona for feck sake.

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Hopefully 6 of them are away. 4 wins and 2 draws on the road, would give PFC 73. Get two or three draws at home as winning at FP seems to be beyond this team (might very well be a mental barrier that doesn't affect the team away) and 76 points is achieved. That might get 3rd spot given the inconsistencies of the others around.

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

We have six matches remaining at home, and five away, Ides. I agree there does appear to be a degree of "panic" amongst the Pompey players when playing at Fratton Park, probably due to the pressure of expectancy from the fans. The fans do get behind them though with loud vocal support, but visiting teams often come prepared to frustrate us with their negative tactics which doesn't help.

Don't forget though, that only a month ago we managed two consecutive 2-0 home wins in four days against Accrington Stanley and Blackpool (who won 3-0 away to Plymouth last night!), so it can be done. There is definitely less pressure on the players away from home, although last night we had 40% of the total attendance, and PFC fans totally outsang the home fans, so it probably felt like a home game to the players anyway!!

The way Plymouth and Carlisle are playing at present gives me hope that despite having Luton and Stevenage breathing down our necks, with the right tactical approach and team formation from Paul Cook, we can achieve automatic promotion, and not have to endure the lottery of the play offs.

It's not all doom and gloom <cheers>

The Ides of March likes this.

11. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

12. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad to be in third, but I can't get excited given the fact that Luton have a game in hand.

13. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Christ PompeyLapras, are you sure you aren't a Janner by birth and you got kidnapped as a baby?

14. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

What's a Janner?

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Janner is an English regional nickname associated with Plymouth.