1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cup versus Newport (round 2)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thought we'd better have a thread for this one given it's importance. I mean Liverpool must be desperate to know whether to put out their B team or B team for the winner.

On paper, form and everything else we should have won this at Home Park. Even on the balance of play if I'm honest although we didn't exactly perform to the highest standard. Well, not even to a mediocre standard if truth be told but we still should have won. This time around we should win this on paper and on form and everything else........oh hang on I said that for the last one.

Is this to be one of Argyle's classic feck ups. The opportunity to take a wedge from this game and then to make a bit of a killing for the game that follows. Normally this would equal a resounding loss and much weeping and wailing around the place. But ever the optomist I think we can win this but we will have to do a lot better than the last time we tried. We have picked up in form since that draw and Newport have slipped back into a losing habit. They will be desperate for the money though and they do have that obnoxious twat Westley at the helm who seems to be able to make two stones fight. 13 players booked in their last game of which 9 were his. Don't tell me he didn't give a few instructions in the hope of getting away with it and a result. I just wish this was over with because league wise we could do without it. Nearly forgot to add.........What could possibly go wrong.......

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Nothing will go wrong we will stuff them.. hope the weasel gets the sack after

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Rain forecast for S Wales this afternoon, albeit with wind to help "pitch" or midden dry out.

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How long will they keep the pitch covered before kick-off ?

I think bottom versus top will be thrown out the window for this one-off game....who want's it the most.....especially if it goes to penalties.

The thought of your missed penalty being the reason your team doesn't go to Anfield to play Liverpool....and that lucrative pot of money missed out on.... could play on the nerves a tad.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd hate to play in your team plym.......<ghost>.

Be afraid be very afraid. They won't start to take the cover off until as late as possible and I'm not sure the forecast is for down pours. I also think that any cup game is a leveller to a degree anyway so top v bottom doesn't really matter. We played them once and it was the same then as now so that sort of proves it doesn't have an effect. Regardless of anything else the stats we know now says Argyle should win this one. You love stats notdistant so you should be convinced if nothing else. I'm not about to start planning for the next round just yet however.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You wouldn't get in it sensible....although you might be a good dribbler.....but dribblers would probably be banned on Newport's marshlands anyway, would be wet enough to start with.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'll have you know I was once a flying winger who could do 100 yards (pre metric) in around 11 seconds. Trouble is these days I'd have to catch a bus and they are always running late. I don't dribble though. I've bought some of them things you see advertised on the tele where if you pee yourself the content is contained in a Gel and nothing escapes. Bleddy marvelous.

8. notDistantGreen

I think it's safe to say we SHOULD win this.

We're top, they are bottom.

We are unbeaten in 3 after a wobble, including a 0-0 against them that we did enough to win easily had we not misfired in the final third.

They haven't won in more than a month conceding 9 in their last 4 games, including the lucky 0-0 against us.

However, we'll have to hoof it to avoid the marshes and that's not our style. Will Garita start I wonder?

It's the FA Cup and anything can happen especially when there's a game against Liverpool reserves at stake.

Lastly, we are Argyle and stuff happens to us....

I'm firmly on the nervous side of cautious.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

How do you cope with dribbling down your chin.....grow a beard ?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....as sensible would say.....what can possibly go wrong.....<wah>.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I got a phone call from a friend of my Mrs about an hour ago who told me the match tonight was off. Apparently it was on Face Book. I have been looking for the past hour and it would seem the info is bollox. I never liked her anyway..........

Whilst looking about I have however discovered it is currently raining in Newport. Allegedly this is due to end around 6pm anyway.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Gwent police have confirmed that the match is on.....weather chart shows that rain is now moving away from the Newport area.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Newport FC are saying that the tent will be left in place for as long as possible before kick-off.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Well glad to see its on?? Will get BT on now and watch the game and us win easily <ale>..

Nice to get another one over that Weasel..

15. Greenarmyjoe

Watching this now, pitch looks bad, its all Newport

16. notDistantGreen

Possibly the worst 45 mins of professional football in living memory. Argyle class showing in brief flashes but this is going to be a lump-it lottery on a disgrace of a pitch.

More bobbles than the trader stands at a joint conference of train spotters and coarse anglers. Boom boom.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  17. Greenarmyjoe

Yep dreaful game .. a few chances but the pitch is a disgrace.. looks like a herd buffalo ran over it..

18. notDistantGreen

Fog rolling in now. Not often poor visibility is a boon.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Yep its looking quite bad.. now goodwille on :emoticon-0141-whew:

20. Greenarmyjoe