1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daniel Bentley

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qpr1954, Jul 20, 2015.

1. qpr1954

qpr1954 Member

if we are going to sell McCarthy for 3 Mill, then why don't we spend 1 mill on the Southend keeper. Young and very talented.

2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Good call. I'd love it if we signed him. There's been quite a few clubs after him recently. West Ham, Hull and Leeds among them. He also kept a club record eleven consecutive clean sheets at Roots Hall as well as saving two penalties in this season's play off final.

3. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Good shout.
    We have a history of producing great keepers, this would be another opportunity to get that tradition back.

4. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

I believe Hull are in for him as well. He is certainly the "one to watch" at the moment, and I think he'd be good replacement for McCarthy. But again, it'd be a waste for him to sit on the bench for a year behind Green. We need a number 1 immediately.

5. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

No elnino it looks as though we need anumber one in a year...

6. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

You don't want another year of Green do you Beth?

7. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

No, we need to replace Green now. In my eyes, he's served his time and we need to be rid of him. He has a 'loser' mentality with our club. 2 relegations in 3 seasons. No thanks.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  8. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I am not commenting on what I want...I am commenting on what I am seeing in the club
    We are looking to sell McCarthy, who honestly has not impressed me, and I also would guess has not impressed CR if he is willing to sell, and stick with Green. (as the most obvious thing would be to move Green on or down...one asks why that isn't happening....maybe because Green is the best keeper in the club currently.
    We are looking to buy a definate second string, so my educated guess, is that the club are sticking with Green

9. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

We aren't "looking to sell". He has a relegation release clause that Premier League clubs are looking to exploit. He would cost a PL club £3.5mil. If Green is a better keeper, then surely a PL club would take him for a £1mil? The obvious thing for the club to do would be to come out and say "McCarthy is our number 1 moving forward". That way, we wouldn't need to look for anyone else, and Green can then move down and we have a better, hungry keeper in goal.

I understand your viewpoint, which is fair as it does look like Green will start. However, I personally feel that isn't great. Any striker lining up against him must be relishing it. All you have to do is shoot low in the corner and you know he's never going to get down quick enough.

10. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Betty's right. McCarthy looks sh*t from what I've seen of him. No doubt he's probably better than what he's showed at QPR but he ain't all that.

The only problem is if Green believes he has zero competition he'll go to sh*t himself. Which we can't afford cos he ain't all that either.

11. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I'd imagine you've seen close to **** all of him given he's barely played. He proved hes a very good goalkeeper at Reading.

Ranger74 and EscapeGoat like this.
  12. Bwood_Ranger

He's also been promoted several times in his career. By your definition someone like Clint Hill is also a loser.

13. EscapeGoat

By 'Premier League player' definition....he kind of is?

14. Bwood_Ranger

Which would be relevant if we were in the Premier League.

In the Championship he's about as proven a winner as you can get.

15. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

But this year isn't about "winning" the Championship (apparently). It's about building for the future so if we get up again we aren't screwed. I simply think that this season, we should get a keeper who will be in goal for the next few seasons. Rob Green isn't that man in my eyes. Plus my only ever recollections of the man is him picking the ball up out of the net. A lot.

tom0601 likes this.
  16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I misread the OP as 'David Bentley'. Came over all lightheaded and dizzy for a bit.

elnino37 likes this.
  17. EscapeGoat

Would you not rather have a player who can win in the Championship and the Premier League? Practically the point of building a squad right?

18. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't give a flying two bob bit how a player plays anywhere else, either before or after QPR. Its totally irrelevant to me. I just judge them on what I see when they play for us which, at the end of the day, is all that matters.

What I seen of McCarthy for Rangers is the same as you. A game v Liverpool which he did nothing wrong or extraordinary. A Cup game v Sheff U in which he was atrocious. A game vs Newcastle in which he did a fair amount of flapping and I think one other match (either that or the Newkie game he was at fault for a goal). I watched the game against Monaco last week and although it was only a friendly, he made a hash of two back passes which both almost resulted with the ball in the net.

I said that "he's probably better then what he's showed for QPR" but a very decent Keeper he ain't, IMO. I've seen just about enough to convince me.

Couldn't give a fukk if he played like Luigi Buffon for bloody Reading :)

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Let 5 in against Leicester. Albeit without a defence in front of him.

20. Bwood_Ranger

But it is relevant because he's never had a run for us. It's virtually impossible to play your best straight away after months on the bench and reserve matches.

He's a young, English player and it's a shame we'll have to lose him so cheaply because he's clearly worth more than that. Palace wouldn't want him if he was ****e.