1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daniel Bentley

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qpr1954, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Ideally yes but then we'd have to get rid of virtually every player in the squad and would probably be left with Austin and Phillips, incidentally two of the only players anyone else wants.

2. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true when it comes to Goalkeepers. You see it all the time. A Keeper goes off injured or is red carded, the substitute comes in and doesn't put a foot wrong, making good saves. He then keeps the other guy out of the side or at least gives the Manager a big headache. It happens at least 9 out of 10 times. They grasp their opportunity with both hands.

Its probably different for outfield players but Keepers almost always step up and play really well. Not McCarthy though unfortunately.

3. Bwood_Ranger

I'm pretty sure Green is for sale but if no one will take him then he's too expensive as a reserve so might as well play him given he's a good Championship keeper and experienced player well liked in the squad.

4. Bwood_Ranger

It definitely doesn't happen nine out of ten times. Not even close. Physically and mentally of course it's possible to be in the right place but in any pursuit you'll be at your best when you're doing it at a difficult level regularly.

5. Swords Hoopster.

I beg to differ. I would say its at least 9 out of 10. When's the last time you saw or heard of a sub Keeper coming in and fans wishing the number one would hurry the fukk up and recover because the replacement ain't up to scratch? Its extremely rare. Sub Keepers overwhelmingly step up to the mark when their rare chance arises.

Anyway, I'm being slightly disingenuous because he ain't the only player I couldn't care less if we sell. They can sell any one of them as far as I'm concerned. As long as the money is reinvested wisely its a no lose situation. I hope they sell Austin, Fer & Phillips soon if they're going to sell them. Get them off the books with enough time to bring in their replacements and hopefully make a profit on those too.

6. Bwood_Ranger

Do you remember when Ademola Bankole played for us in his one and only game? How did Valdes get on for United when he played? The Southampton bloke with the long name who came in for a few games this season? Michel Vorm coming in for Lloris on occasion at Spurs? City's reserve keeper played one league game last season and let in two against Hull! Brad Jones at Liverpool!!!

There are of course some good examples of the reserve doing well, normally when he's good enough to be a number one. Cech hardly put a foot wrong for Chelsea and Cerny was mostly good for us when brought in for Kenny, but it's definitely not the norm.

7. Swords Hoopster.

Don't remember any of those examples. Never heard of half of them.

Look at it this way. How many chances is a player, especially a Goalkeeper, expected to get? A reserve Goalie is told "you're behind a very good Keeper in the pecking order and he's in very good form. But you will get your chance. Be ready for it". Often they never get that chance and have to move to another Club to get a look in. But when they do get a chance they have to take it because if they don't they'll likely never get another one. McCarthy managed to get a chance last season. Four games in fact. But he didn't take it. He should have done and then we'd have the entire fan base rooting for him to stay and old codger Green to go. Not to mention Ramsey doing everything he could to keep him. Alas his shoddy performances in those games has led to most of the fans questioning his ability and the Manager seemingly also.

You don't get many chances in life, you gotta take 'em. If he plays in the next friendly and blasts two balls straight to the opposition like against Monaco it will help make up Ramsey's mind further to not bother trying to keep him and putting him in as No 1. That's just the way it goes bro.

8. Bwood_Ranger

If you haven't heard of them then you probably don't watch a lot of football. Apart from Bankole that was all from last season's prem.

elnino37 likes this.
  9. Swords Hoopster.

I can safely say I probably watch a lot more than you Sir! That's not a dig, in fact its a slight on myself. I'm a couch potato and never stop watching the stuff when I should be doing something more productive. I just don't do players names. I don't do names in general. Its not my thing. I don't remember half the names of the QPR squad.

Anyway, forget the first 12 words, what do you make of the rest of the post?

10. Bwood_Ranger

I rate it 3/10. Swords, you have many qualities but I don't think football knowledge is one of them.

11. Swords Hoopster.

12. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

At a ripe old age, he played a few blinders for us, mostly in losing causes, but often kept the score down, as in this example:-

Liverpool 1 Queens Park Rangers 0

Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Liverpool and Queens Park Rangers at Anfield on Saturday Dec 10 2011.
    please log in to view this image

Under pressure: QPR keeper Radek Cerny's goal comes under fire Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Chris Bascombe, at Anfield
    5:00PM GMT 10 Dec 2011
    21 Comments

The hand gestures were scattered all over Anfield as Luis Suárez inspired Liverpool to victory.
    From the Uruguayan, a raised thumb to his team-mates as they rushed to congratulate his match-winning performance against Queens Park Rangers .
    From the Kop, after an excruciatingly anxious finale, there were arms aloft in celebration. For much of a nervous afternoon the palms of edgy Liverpool supporters appeared to be stitched to heads as a multitude of opportunities were squandered before and after Suárez’s 47th-minute header.
    Suárez may be dealing with enough charges to keep the floodlights lit at Anfield, but he showed no signs of being unduly disturbed as he produced another vivacious display.
    The barracking won’t stop, but Suárez’s temperament now appears to be made of stern stuff.

It was QPR manager Neil Warnock who urged the Football Association to assess the abuse players receive from rival supporters before attacking those who retaliate. He evidently didn’t anticipate his own fans jumping on the overcrowded passing bandwagon to taunt Suárez throughout the first half.
    If they misheard or misunderstood Warnock’s pre-match warning, the words of Kenny Dalglish must have also failed to register. He promised Suárez would respond in future, not with the kind of wayward finger gesture which was clearly so offensive to Fulham fans last Monday, but with the goals that can fire Liverpool back into the top four.
    He obliged with a solitary strike, but could — and should — have had a hat-trick. For long periods, Dalglish must have feared another afternoon of frustration such was the frequency with which chances were squandered.
    Suárez and the diminutive midfielder Maxi Rodríguez inspired yet another visiting keeper into an heroic display.
    Radek Cerny, who was deputising for Paddy Kenny, kept the South American barrage at bay and allowed the Londoners to leave town with their dignity intact.
    The sight of the opposing keeper being patted on the back at Anfield has become a familiar one, and the question has been asked about whether it is more to do with poor finishing than exemplary goalkeeping. A header from Suárez and two Maxi efforts – each time when he was one-on-one with the keeper – were hit straight at Cerny.

For every word of lavish praise for Suárez’s bewitching build-up play, there is perplexity at how few goals he has scored. He struck 81 in 110 games for Ajax, but is probably averaging a goal every five chances on Merseyside.
    Criticising him is crass since he makes the majority of those opportunities himself and just about every chance for everyone else. If he is banned for any length of time, Liverpool will be deprived not only of their most creative force, but their greatest goal threat and most diligent worker.
    “He is an easy player to like,” was how Dalglish described Suárez when he first introduced him to English football almost a year ago. “There will be nice headlines for him tomorrow, he played really well,” said Dalglish. “The points tally we’ve got from the game was nothing less than we deserved, but the goal tally wasn’t. One day we will take all the chances because some of the football we played was brilliant.”
    Warnock identified Suárez as the main difference between the sides, although there was a visible gulf in ability across the park, if not in the score.
    “I thought Suárez was amazing. I’d love to manage him,” said Warnock, who reserved most praise for his veteran keeper.
    “We showed a lot of resolve and Cerny was fantastic. I’m really pleased for him at 37 so I’m disappointed we didn’t get anything for him from the game.”

What is most satisfying, even for those who fear a top-four return may be too much to expect, is how Dalglish has revived Liverpool’s brand of football. The sight of centre-half Daniel Agger and full-back José Enrique rampaging forward in pursuit of a second in injury time was either foolhardy or thrilling.
    That QPR retained hope of a point until full-time proved there are still problems for Dalglish to solve.
    QPR almost benefited from the home anxiety in the later stages. A penalty shout when midfielder Alejandro Faurlin was kicked on the arm by Martin Skrtel was as close as they came.
    Warnock could take most satisfaction from the sweat on the brow of his opponents as the final whistle blew. Dalglish was content that the harmful drawing streak at Anfield was over, and the most meaningful hand gestures of all involved rapturous applause for his No 7.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ool-1-Queens-Park-Rangers-0-match-report.html

13. Bwood_Ranger

I remember it well. Was an amazing performance. 6-0 wouldn't have been an unfair score.

14. qpr1954

qpr1954 Member

I was there with two of my sons in the Liverpool end, probably the only one in the stand who didn't go bonkers when Suarez headed in from the centre of the goal.

15. elnino37

elnino37 Active Member

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

QPR line up £1.6m bid for Southend keeper Dan Bentley
    • 07:00, 29 July 2015
    • By Paul Warburton QPR are lining up a move for League Two keeper of the year Dan Bentley
    Rs plan to net tasty Shrimper

• 62 Share
    • QPR are lining up a move for League Two keeper of the year Dan BentleyRob Green depart.
      Rangers boss Chris Ramsey is worried that after the departure of Alex McCarthy to Crystal Palace he will be left with no established gloveman should his number one go as well.
      Bentley was League Two PFA pick of the year in goal, and won rave reviews all season for his heroics (see video), not least because of his penalty shoot-out saves at Wembley that won promotion for the Shrimpers in May.

Southend turned down bids for coveted Bentley in January, and at the end of the season when Hull’s £1m offer was dismissed out of hand.
      However, a move to Rangers would better suit Wickford based custodian and allow him to stay in the south-east close to family.
      Southend would also be tempted by an increased offer for the 22-year-old, who will double his reported £6k-a-week wages and save his club losing a hefty fee for a player in the last year of his contract.
      Bentley might even reconsider selling his £21,000 priced BMW (see tweet).
      Dan Bentley @dan_bentley1
      New lower price on my car, let me know of anyone is interested! http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507135168055 …
      1:50 AM - 25 Jul 2015
      ~

Winning stop: Bentley parries spot-kick from Wycombe Wanderers' Sam Wood
      Ramsey reckoned Rs had irons in the fire should Green follow McCarthy to the exit.
      “It’s still our choice whether we sell Rob,” he said. “But you’re right, we could be in vulnerable position. Les (Ferdinand, director off football) and the board members are making sure that won’t happen.”

17. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

QPR Oslo likes this.
  18. Kilburn

Would ba a good move as an understudy to Green (whether of NOT he leaves), plus possibly also that young Reading keeper to fight for 3rd choice.

QPR to move for highly-rated Football League goalkeeper if Rob Green leaves

Date: 29th July 2015 at 7:29 pm
    Written by: Charlie Firth | Comments (0)

Sky Bet Championship side Queens Park Rangers are set to move for Southend United goalkeeper Dan Bentley – if Rob Green leaves the club this summer, according to Get West London.
    image: http://cdn.footballleagueworld.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Rob-Green-300x199.jpg

Green may be departing Loftus Road this summer
    The 35-year-old joined QPR in 2012 following his released from West Ham and has made over 90 appearances for the club. He was one of the stand out performers for Rangers last season, despite their relegation, and earned himself an England call up.
    Green’s been heavily linked with a move away from the club this summer, with Chelsea reportedly lining up a swoop this summer.
    But after the departure of Alex McCarthy, who joined Crystal Palace last week, Chris Ramsey is beginning to sweat over who will start between the sticks next year.
    He’s therefore lining up a £1.6 million bid for highly-rated Southend United star Dan Bentley, who was the League Two keeper of the season last year, and impressed in the Sky Bet League Two play-offs last year.
    The 22-year-old has already been subject to a bid from Hull City this summer, but their £1 million offer was rejected. It’s thought that the Shrimpers will listen to improved offers, however.
    Bentley looks like a top upcoming keeper and he’d do very well for himself to land a role as a Championship number one, but he doesn’t quite match the talent of Rob Green, so it could be a huge loss for QPR.
    QPR fans… What do you make of this news? Will Rob Green leave this summer? Is Bentley the ideal replacement? Who else could replace him? Let us know in the comments below!

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qp...eper-if-rob-green-leaves/#rFaU6p740OxCPVjR.99

19. Kilburn

Let's hope so, great Championship level backup keeper and understudy to Green

QPR eye double swoop

July 30, 2015

Queens Park Rangers are hopeful of completing the signings of defender James Perch and goalkeeper Daniel Bentley.

The Championship side have agreed a fee of £1m for Wigan Athletic’s Perch, whilst also reportedly preparing a £1.6m bid for Southend United shot stopper Bentley.

Perch, 29, scored three goals in 41 league appearances for the Latics last season as Gary Caldwell’s men suffered relegation to League One.
    Meanwhile 22-year-old Bentley kept 21 clean sheets in 42 league appearances for the Shrimpers before saving the decisive penalty in the League Two play-off final against Wycombe Wanderers to seal their promotion to the third tier.

QPR boss Chris Ramsey wants Perch to replace Steven Caulker who left for Southampton on Wednesday and Bentley to compete with Robert Green for the number one jersey following the exit of Alex McCarthy to Crystal Palace.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/category/news/qpr-eye-double-swoop/

20. sku

sku Well-Known Member

Bring back Cerny, I say! :)