1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

DC: All to play for!

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC on the Alty game and the last 11 games to come. He said:

"It's all to play for. We are in a race for the title and we can only try to keep winning football matches. We have 11 games of the season to go and there is a chance for us to go top of the table if we can win the game against Braintree on Tuesday night. Realistically, though, there are four or five teams who will still fancy their chances. Halifax and Grimsby had good wins on Saturday and will still think they are in with a chance if they can get on good runs. We are happy to be in among it and we are going to try to enjoy it because five or six weeks ago we were 11 points behind Barnet and everyone had written us off.Barnet have had a bit of a blip, but they are still a good team with a very experienced manager and there will be plenty of twists and turns still to come with 33 points left to play for. We need to play better than we did on Saturday, but there is nothing to fear. We are in a great position to get out of a very tough league at the first time of asking and I want everybody to keep getting behind us to push us on. We are building momentum and I want the fans to enjoy it, but we must not get carried away. I'm pleased because when you don't play well it is important that you find a way to win a game. It was a difficult game because everyone was counting the points before we'd even kicked off, but Altrincham are a good side who had won four of their last six league games. I thought we could get at them from set-pieces because they aren't the biggest team and that is how we won the game. We have now registered three wins and three clean sheets in a row and that is a tremendous effort from the lads. We all want to win by three and four, but when you aren't scoring a lot of goals it is important that you are pretty solid as a team. I can't remember Steve (Mildenhall) having a save to make, but we expect to be better on the ball. We are at the business end of the season where it is all about the three points and Altrincham have been in great form, but I will definitely take the ugly 1-0 win."

Taken from the post.

2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Yep, still four or five teams still in with a shout.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If teams win their games in hand, table will look like this....

Pos..Team.............. PL... Pts

01... Barnet............. 35... 68
    o5... Grimsby........... 35... 62
    o9... Kidderminster.. 35... 54

Looking very close indeed.

But, looking sat the fixtures....

Halifax still has to face Barnet twice, Rovers, Macclesfield, Gateshead, Eastleigh and Kiddy. I just cant see Halifax causing us problems in the table.
    Grimsby have the best fixtures! They just got Eastleigh and Gateshead to worry about and they are both home games. The rest they should be ok with.
    Gateshead have the hardest set of fixtures. They have to face every team who are in the current tables, positioned 1st to 9th!
    Eastleigh have a tough set of fixtures too. They still have to face every team from 1st to 8th apart from Forest Green but got to play Kiddy twice!
    Forest Green have a good rub in. Only Barnet, Maccs and Gateshead to worry about.
    Kiddy got tough games too. Facing Barnet, us, Halifax, Gateshead and Eastleigh twice.

I think really it will stay a 3 horse race unless the top 3 drop points, seeing we have a better run in than Maccs and Barnet, and that we only lost just 4 times, I cant see us falling away. Its a 3 horse race until either Maccs and Barnet blow it and Barnet are showing the signs losing 3 in last 6/7 games. They got a tough run of games too. I really do think it could be out of us and Maccs. It makes our game even more important!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

CJS How does your chrystal ball place the top 5

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

:)

Going by the fixtures and form, my top 5 would be...

1 Rovers
    2 Maccs
    3 Grimsby
    4 Barnet
    5 FGR

How about yours <ok>

6. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Rovers
    Macclesfield
    Barnet
    Halifax
    Forest Green

7. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone else feeling a bit nervous today its nerve racking <wah>

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

No Grimsby? Wow, I will be shocked if they dont make it. They got the best set of fixtures left.

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Not nervous yet but I will be near the time. This is the sort of games where we screw up! Is there added pressure on the players tonight as could be top at the end of the game?

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  10. Chris-Gashead

I think it is between them and Forest Green. Grimsby have the follow fixtures in the middle which they could quite feasibly lose all of them

Woking away
    Chester away
    Eastleigh home
    Dover away

That will decide if they make play offs or not IMO :)

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

12. Gastronomic

I think we will go up with Grimsby...

13. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Well, Grimsby are certainly due some elevation, they have been down in this league a few years now and some would argue that they are another club that shouldn't be here !

14. Chris-Gashead

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I would like to see Grimsby go up. Their fans have been good and supportive on twitter.

I think we will win or draw at Maccs. I think the pressure will be on them as the home team and that we beat them 4-0 already. Plus the added pressure on being on TV. We showed we can handle that pressure enough this season.

16. Gastronomic

Grimsby are a proper club like us. Their support v Barnet was a bit like ours and I don't think the Football League needs any more of these minnows who get a couple of thousand for home games.