1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

DC on pre-season

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC on pre-season plans on training and games. Also on Chris Lines on "a year deal" and challenges of making new signings. On players who left and news on Puddy and Trotman. Finally on team targets.

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Good honest interview

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The above was on day 1 of pre season. Below is from today in pre season....

Darrell Clarke told us that his lads are in good shape ahead of their return to the Football League.
    He said:

"The boys have come back and are looking to crack on with everything but it helps that we have good pros at the football club. It is important that we don't have an element of burn out because of us finishing later [in the year] but they have come in the last few days and it's been very tough and there are a few more tough days ahead but we need to get the balance right so we are ready for Northampton on August 8th."

Darrell Clarke's men kick off their 2015/16 pre-season campaign with back to back fixtures this weekend against Salisbury and Sutton respectively, with the Rovers manager stating he wanted to do things a bit differently this season.
    He said:

"In the first four games or so I wanted to let the fans know what sort of team I was putting out at each fixture so they can decide where they want to go. I also want to get a good 70/80 minutes into as many of the first team boys as possible so that's why we have some back to back games but the teams I put out will be as strong as possible for all four of the games. A lot of teams take 22 players to pre-season games and change it all around at half time, but I've changed the approach this season."

Rovers currently have 4 trialists at the club and Darrell say's that they are progressing well, but they have only been at the club a day.
    He said:

"Yes, we have some lads in on trial but that is no different from every other football club across the country. We are specifically looking at players in wide areas as well as the goalkeeper situation but this is all something we will look at over the duration of pre-season."

The managers latest recruit, Cristan Montano joined the club last week and Darrell has certain expectations of the Colombian winger this season.
    He said:

"First and foremost I want him to give me everything he has got, just like every other player I have here. His attitude initially has been spot on over the few days, but that is exactly what I expected from the lad. I have spoken to a few people about what his attitude is like but he is knuckling down and getting his fitness levels right up but he has fitted in really well with the boys so far."

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...alance-right-2531638.aspx#fKDJiGERYYDxF6vc.99

5. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Wonder why Lines is only a 1 year deal

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im glad we are not giving 3 year deals but would have thought securing him for 2 years would be good.

But, then again, maybe its 1 year with the option of another year?

If Lines gets injured this weekend and is out for 9 months, you know, what usually happens to us, then think of the wages he is on and being injured for a long time and may not be the same player again when he returns so sitting on a 2 year deal on those wages will hurt us! Maybe 1 year protects us and if he performs again and stays injury free then he could use the option of a further season if available. I cant see him wanting to move away again to be honest.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

One-year contracts are also a good idea when FFP is taken into account.

8. Chris-Gashead

Yes true, but my concern is if Lines does particularly well, and a big club comes looking, it wont take much to turn his head, and the fee we would received would be low as he would only have a couple of months left on his current deal

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I cant see a big club coming in for him to turn his head. He has made it known he wants to stay 'home'. He will stay local if he leaves us and I cant see any big c;ubs local to us that is a realistic club for him. I cant see him going to City for example. He may 1 day play for Yeovil or Cheltenham but that wont be any time soon. I can see either injury or relegation being the only reason he will leave. Injury will be us letting him go as too expensive to keep or if we get relegated he may want to go. If he keeps his form up he will no doubt he rewarded with a new deal that he will sign.

10. Chris-Gashead

He went to Sheffield Wednesday not long ago - nothing to say a similar sized club wont come in for him again, especially if they will likely get him cheap. I can't honestly see him staying here if a big club offers to double his wages and he gets the chance to play at a higher level again.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

From what I heard, he was pushed out and didnt want to leave after we got relegated to league 2. Also I cant see a big club coming in for him now. If they did then you may be right but I cant see it happening. Save this thread and in a few years time, you can come and say "I told you so" to me <laugh>

12. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Linesey's like a stick of rock...Rovers through and through. I'm sure he'll stay for as long as he's needed...