1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do we need more attacking options?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Nov 21, 2015.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Why go over there for that, when some of us try to offer that service here :)

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Right, that's it. Tadic will now be known as Susan forever.

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Nah, that was me. I'm a million miles from itk, I just make up stuff I'd like to believe, then convince myself it's true.

Sorry for any confusion caused by this approach to life.

It’s Only A Game likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I don't see a year's extension as out of the realms of possibility....be nice if he signed it soon so we can relax #dreamtheimpossibledream

5. fatletiss

Oops.... So bad, I'll not even edit it!

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

We need Black to come back as Susan again. It's time.

7. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I'm guess it will be Long, Mane and Susan as a front three on Saturday which I think falls into Ron's lap quite nicely for Man City away. Will be interesting who makes the bench. Gaston or Seager?

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We absolutely need more attacking options, or more specifically, needed to have more attacking options before the season began. It's too much to ask for the same three players to provide the vast majority of our scoring threat in each and every match, especially as we embark on our usual brutal 8 games (most against very difficult opposition) in 36 days stretch to close out the calendar year.

9. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

So you're saying you think that this season will be better than last in terms of league performance?
    I'm perfectly happy, but saying I don't think we will this year for the reason that we're "at a level that is very hard to move upwards from, in particular while managing the finances so comparatively prudently when compared to others".
    The rise in league performance similar to the last few years couldn't continue for ever, but I'm just predicting that this might be the first season in a while that actually experience that. There may or may not be ways in the longer term of continuing to progress, but we'll need to be patient to find out imho.

10. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

No, I'm not saying that and I didn't say that. My comment was regarding whether anything in the past few years could be classed as "we've stagnated [at a given level]".

Vin

11. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Fair enough Vin, we were discussing different time frames (past v present). My point was really only that this season and/or the next season or two would likely be very similar or maybe slightly behind the heights we set last year regards league performance. Any strategy we have to continue to climb would probably be longer term, as the next step is harder than any of the previous ones.

12. Onionman

I agree, and I've regularly said on here that it's a long term plan. I suspect it could take ten or fifteen years to become a top four side, but I think the plan's there.

EDIT: And to clarify, I don't believe that a good long-term plan needs knee-jerk reactions like emergency signings to keep it on track.

Vin

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The trouble with the club having long term plans to continue climbing, is that players tend to have short term plans, towards the same aim.
    We need a stellar season to fend off losing our best players every season, and, although the fans would be happy, I don't think finishing 6th or 7th constitutes a stellar season, in the mind of the players.
    Winning a cup or two might encourage players to stay, a little bit longer, but not if CL clubs really flex their wallets.

14. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

Same situation as last year - we rely on pelle and when he burns out or goes off form thats that.

Should have been addressed last Jan but wasn't and cost us top 6.., should have been addrested in the summer but wasn't and no doubt won't be addressed this Jan.

15. Onionman

I sincerely hope it isn't addressed in January. January is the month for grossly overpriced panic signings. We shouldn't be involved.

Vin

Archers Road likes this.
  16. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Jay Rod returned this summer and it's unfortunate he has picked up another injury. I expect us to look for an alternative on loan if he is out again long term.

17. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

Having a stellar season would only confirm in the minds of the players that they were capable of better things, ie a bigger club and bigger wages. We will always lose our better players while our wages are so much lower.

18. fatletiss

I agree. However I would be happy to see us bring in a loan attacking player. Tough to find what we want, but somewhere here or in Europe, is a player wanting games.

19. fatletiss

How's the lad I like that was at the Swiss doing. Valentina or something??

20. fatletiss

Valentin Stocker. He's now at Hertha. I liked him a lot when at FC Basle.