1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you really believe all you read?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by St. Luigi Scrosoppi, Mar 25, 2015.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Because if you do then:

Ron is off to Barcelona
    Pelle is off to Barcelona as well
    Toby to the Copy Cats (aka North London Yobbos)
    Clyne to Manure
    Davis to Rangers
    Morgan to Arsenal
    Bertrand the media haven't made up their minds who to sell him to yet
    Wanyama now off to Arsenal
    Slattery to Arsenal
    Mane to Arsenal
    Rodrigues to the Copy Cats
    The very lovely Mrs Godders:emoticon-0115-inlov to be sold to a Sultan as a sex slave
    St Godders to the knackers yard to make glue and chewing gum.

Only the last two are probably true.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I believe very little of what I read to do with football, whether that be positive or negative. If there is a direct quote from a player saying he wants to stay at a club, I think he is just saying it to appease his current employers/fans, and if a concrete offer came in from a bigger team then he would change his tune pretty quickly. Call me cynical/pessimistic or whatever, but this is what football has become. What players/managers/agents say in public a lot of the time is not what they are actually thinking and they will just say what they think the majority want to hear to get the best result for themselves. All we can do is sit back and let it unfold without taking too much notice of rumours.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Interpretation is everything. How often have we seen startling headlines, then found the article mentions nothing about it. I have to say I tend to believe what I want to believe...I would kiss any player who says something lovely, but become certain they are being misquoted if it is something I don't want to hear. That's why I was taken in by Mauricio's comments about not to worry because he had another year on his contract!!!

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

If it suits me or my current argument, then of course I believe it :emoticon-0103-cool:

5. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Just look at the amount of ink (real and cyber ink) generated over Toby's response to a question about playing with his international CB partner. He obviously responded that he would enjoy playing with him (what else is he going to say?) and that has generated a huge volume of articles ranging from relatively accurate to ridiculous assumptions.
    Anything that a player says these days is alway interpreted to suit a story...we must be getting used to this level of negative attention by now, surely.

6. fatletiss

Negative? ... I thought we were signing his International CB partner :)

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

99% of stuff on newsnow is crap. Just like 99% of sites newsnow lists I have never heard off. It's all about them hits.

8. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

No. Very little. Whether it's football or so-called "news" I rarely take it as truth in any normal meaning of the word.

I now need to get on my hobby horse. The only journal I tend to accept at face value (or even read) is The Economist. I avoid mainstream news and have done for probably about ten years. It's made me significantly happier as I base my experience of human beings on those I meet. I don't read about muggers of 90 year old women and none of my friends do that (or at least they keep it quiet) so I go around in the sincere belief that such people aren't relevant to me in any way. In such cases, ignorance really is bliss.

I avoided the news and this site all last summer and was consequently quite happy over the break. I was vaguely aware of goings on at the club but didn't really know enough to go through the meltdown that some people seem to have suffered.

Vin

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Indeed, very little. Almost zero in terms of footballers moving hither and thither. In other subjects [ie nothing to do with football] I might take a less cynical view, but that also depends on whether the news provider is an online scaresheet [my new name for online versions of Daily Express/Mail, etc... ] or a respected serious niche news provider which knows its subject. Surprisingly, one or two of those also have an online presence.

I suppose the NewsNow stuff does give us something to mull over. But it's pretty poor fare most of the time.

EDIT: One caveat..! On football, if DTLW writes the stuff or says it is genuine, I tend to find he's given it the seal of authenticity in my mind. <whistle>

What a responsibility you have, matey..! Don't abuse it. <cheers>

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

I never believe anything I read in the national rags, Southern evening echo or anything on Sky,
    I believe everything I read in this forum.
    Saints supports always tell the truth.

fatletiss and Onionman like this.

11. fatletiss

Liar

12. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I have updated the list going by todays papers.

13. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I ignore all of the rumours but if the player involved is agitating for a move then there can be some truth in it. For all I might laugh at the papers, their predictions regarding Saints during the World Cup turned out to be pretty accurate. Lambert was the only total surprise.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Clem Fandango likes this.
  14. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the Premier League Table in the Sunday People today, Page 11 of the Total Football Supplement, it has Spuds above us in the table on 50 Points! The whole table shown is a complete dogs breakfast.

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I read the Guardian and the Racing Post. Very little about Saints in either, but what there is is usually pretty reliable.

If you're going to read the gutter press then you're going to get fed on crap. So why read it?