1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dodgy keeper

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by askewshair, Mar 4, 2017.

1. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Actually that's a fair point - this is one area where he is immeasurably better than Marshall. The latter seemed to hardly bother trying to save them, he might as well have not been there, and when you've conceded the most PL pens in a season ever then it is an issue.

2. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Have to say I only think he can be accused of one and even then it's not a massive error.

Fez likes this.
  3. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

4. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the first was a cock up and he should have done better with the fourth, it was a long way out and he saw it all the way.

There were also a lot of dodgy flaps and parries in the game generally, there were people calling for Marshall to be brought in after that game, I don't think it was any surprise that he was.

5. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Yes, it is interesting:
    [my emphasis]

"Jakupovic palmed out a cross from Walcott and Iwobi's follow-up shot deflected in off Sanchez."
    "Hull struggled to create chances at the other end and they were fortunate not to fall further behind as Jakupovic saved well from Iwobi and Mesut Ozil fired the rebound over the bar from 10 yards out."
    " Iwobi's brilliant back-heeled pass playing in Walcott, whose chipped shot was headed into his own net by Harry Maguire."
    Player ratings
    Hull: Jakupovic (5), Elmohamady (5), Livermore (4), Davies (5), Robertson (5), Meyler (5), Huddlestone (5), Clucas (6), Diomande (5), Hernandez (5), Snodgrass (6).

Only two players were given a 6 by Sky: Clucas who deserved it and Snodgrass who scored a penalty and not much else - Jak saved more than one goal in the game.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/hull-city-vs-arsenal/356378

"Sanchez's first goal owed much to fortune rather than brilliance as Iwobi arrived at the back post and saw his effort deflect in off the Chile international."
    "Walcott notched a second goal shortly before the hour mark when he got on the end of Iwobi's clever flick with Hull defender Harry Maguire helping the ball into the net with his head."
    "Sanchez struck after Jakupovic had blocked Walcott's initial shot"
    "Arsenal's heat map (r) shows their dominance in possession and how much time they spent in the attacking third of the pitch compared to Hull (l) who were on the back foot for long periods, especially after being reduced to 10 men"
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37326798

I think the pressure, playing with 10 men against Arsenal, on defence and keeper,was heavy by any standards and that kind of pressure forces mistakes; sometimes it is best to look at the positives and Jak had most of them on that pitch for Hull City - although Sam was okay.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  6. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

The first went in off a deflection, he palmed it to the side at full stretch, it was deflected away from him - is that really his fault?

The second was a stunning shot that moved massively (look at the replays); to say it was his fault you must be saying it should have been easily saved. I think their player takes all of the credit for that goal and Jak (or anyone else) none of the blame for it.

The people calling for a change in GK were also blaming him, as you are. In my opinion they need to look at the highlights again. I think Jak has got soft hands, but I also believe the ball plays a part; the key thing for me is that he gets down and across to far more than Marshall was doing when last on the sheet. To drop him for that performance is very unfair.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  7. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I was at the game, I don't need to look at highlights.

This is really boring.

8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Can I interest you in the pedestrianisation of Norwich city center??

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Possibly, but not until I've finished watching my film...

BrAdY likes this.
  10. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Then don't do it.

11. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

I personally greatly appreciate all the great information and hard work you provide to this board OLM, and consider we all have considerably benefited from it over the years. I have tried to stay out of this latest debate on the Jak/Marshall controversy as I have stated my view many times in past seasons that Jak has been very underrated by some in previous years, and has been a massively better keeper than Marshall this year. The performance stats are in my opinion incontrovertible on that point.

However your above statement OLM reveals the kind of arrogance that several posters have criticized you for in the past, and does you no credit. In fact I don't even think you really believe that yourself. Fez has documented in detail and very accurately what happened defensively in the Arsenal game. I suggest you look VERY CLOSELY at the replays and highlights as Fez and myself and others have done, and consider revising your opinion. Being "at the game" provides no where near the kind of perspective that rerunning the action on close up video does. You must surely understand that.

At the risk of boring you further let me summarise briefly my views on both keepers.

Jakupovich can be unpredictable, at times error prone, flaps disturbingly at crosses on occasion, and his kicking can be a source of concern. On the plus side he is incredibly agile, his anticipation is excellent, makes brilliant saves from shots, high and low, that would leave many keepers flat footed, is amazing on penalty kicks, brings great spirit and enthusiasm to every game, and overall has a very positive impact on his teammates.

Marshall sadly is a shadow of the excellent keeper that he was at Cardiff a few seasons ago. He is slow footed, his reaction time and overall anticipation has diminished considerably. On several occasions he has remained rooted to the spot or moved slowly, letting in goals that should have been saved by a more agile keeper such as Jak. He has been very poor on penalties. He is still capable of making great saves, and has safe hands. But he has become an average keeper at best.

There is no need to regurgitate their respective statistics this season. They speak for themselves and are OVERWHELMINGLY in Jakupovich favour.

12. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Two decent but flawed keepers then.

Fez, originallambrettaman and Benjo like this.
  13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Watching the highlights only shows you what happened for three minutes of the game, you need to see the other 87 minutes to get the full picture. My point was simply that dropping Jakupovic after that game was understandable, as he didn't have a good game, whereas Marshall had just had an excellent game in the cup.

The change wasn't a mistake, the mistake was not changing them back when things swung the other way.

I've posted nothing about the relative merits of each keeper, Jakupovic has been better and should have come back in sooner, I've not said otherwise.

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I think Canadas point wasn't necessarily what Jakupovic was doing in the other 90 minutes, i think it was your entirely dismissive approach (thats how i read it) on the analysis of the actual goals Jakupovic conceded and wholly blame him for 2 goals when after looking at highlights/replays etc it hardly his fault.

You are correct that the guy can be erratic and you are never sure what you are going to get from him.

Fez and SydneyTiger14 like this.
  15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Maybe I was a bit dismissive, it's a bit frustrating when you watched a game and formed an opinion, then someone who didn't watch it tells you your opinion is wrong. It's also wasted far more page space than it should, hence my 'boring' comment.

BobbyD likes this.
  16. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

Jaks biggest mistake for me this season qq

Was lesters opening goal
    That was criminal goalkeeping

17. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Actually I watch every game in full on Tiger Player every week (albeit with a 2-3 day delay) usually several times being in my old age and retired to the quiet Canadian countryside, and I've got a lot of free time. I also replay the goals in stop action. So I'm not only getting three minutes of fast highlights.

Like you I had no problem with Jak being replaced by Marshall. He certainly deserved a chance after his Stoke performance. The mistake was, as you say, Phelan's failure to put Jak back in after Marshall's poor display at Liverpool, and compounding it by keeping Marshall in as his confidence collapsed, the goals flew in week after week, a reasonable GD deteriorated into the worst in the division, and a succession of losses plunged us into the relegation zone. That awful decision may have cost us our place in the top tier, at least for next season. Although Marco has done a great job in at least giving us a chance to stay up.

djsowtz and Howden Tigress like this.
  18. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

I gave up, OLM

19. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

You started it all ... you need to get another hobby ;)

askewshair likes this.
  20. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member