1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Does England have a culture any more?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I may well take some flak over this but wtf.

I'm very proud of my Reiver heritage, my Scottish forebears and my Durham coalfield background.

During my many years living abroad I've defended my Brit culture but since I've come back I'm struggling to understand what that really is.
    There seems to be nothing that doesn't revolve around getting drunk tbh.

Me and our lass have spent quite some time in Corsica and, after some initial friction from the locals have been accepted by the people.
    They're incredibly defensive and proud of their country and demonstrate it openly and without embarrassment.

This video is 2000 ordinary Corsican people singing their hearts out about their country ......

I love my country so, can you tell me what our culture is as you see it?

2. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh and I have to say
    I'm afraid every thing evolves around alcohol
    Even the old fashion church hall parties.
    And other formally non alcohol events
    However whatever floats your boat as they say

Teessidemackem likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Thatcher cut funding to the arts. Which is why the 30 somethings have little intrest. Cameron did the same. Don't see much hope, there's **** all to do in Darlington. Cinema, Pub or an over priced falling to bits theater. Cameron closed the arts centre and all the production,s classes and activities that went with it.

from this

upload_2016-7-24_19-32-33.png

to this
    upload_2016-7-24_19-31-36.png

Bottom picture was a year ago. It's even worse nowas the weeds have taken hold and it's completely over grown. Shame the google van hasn't been past this year. Only saving grace is that Guardians live there to deter vandals.

Tories murder culture for the lower classes imo. Think they must see Culture as something only the rich should be able to afford. **** all to do. :(

4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Lots of culture in Liverpool, nothing a little Dettol can't handle though.

5. Smug in Boots

That's my feeling mate.

I go to the theatre, opera, ballet etc and often feel like I'm being patronised.

I actually have people comment on my accent and say how it's great that 'people like me' make the effort.

I've probably done more, seen more and had more than most of them but they think their accent puts them above me.

I never miss the chance to put them well straight mind <laugh>

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

**** em mate. The stuck up ****s. <laugh>

7. Smug in Boots

It's funny mate but I've had it from both ends of the scale.

Long story but as there's only us on here I'll carry on ;)

I worked at Rock City, Nottingham, for 11 years and had a deal with the Royal Concert Hall.

Their acts would put me on the guest list and I'd put them on mine.

The cast of Swan Lake would welcome me backstage and I'd watch the ballet until 9.30 when I had to get off to the door of the club.

They'd finish about 10pm and troop up in time for the main act who'd be U2, Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, etc.

I'd go from being patronised by the ballet crowd to having the piss taken by the door lads & Hell's Angels.

I didn't give a shiny mate <laugh>

Brian Storm likes this.
  8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

The drinking culture is evidently a Northern European phenomena, highlighted in the series The World Through One Hundred Objects by Neil MacGregor, an excellent series on radio a year or two back. And also visable in a recent football competition, which would have been swiftly forgotten, if not for its unpleasant repercussions as far as we are concerned.

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I'd say that a lot of Brits now lack any degree of individuality, all look, dress and seemingly think the same.

One of the greatest things about or land was individualism, so many great minds in the past.

Nostalgic and TEL like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Over the last 20 years I've travelled through, or lived in, various countries and truly experienced their culture.

This wasn't just a fortnight in a hotel complex, it was in the raw and sometimes quite scary even for someone like me.

I have to say I'm really jealous of the people, their pride and their culture.

11. Smug in Boots

A great friend of mine once said that our youth culture would eventually just imitate America ......... I laughed <doh>

Gil T Azell and Nads like this.
  12. clockstander

I am still very proud to be British Working class and have found in my limited travels, usually the nearest bar from the dock gates, but not always, that many people hold our liberal attitudes in high esteem, especially if you know a bit about their history, the French were an exception to this, but I am the first to acknowledge that my experience is not as wide as yours, and its always a pleasure to read your contributions on here. <ok>

Smug in Boots likes this.
  13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

It's such a shame to see mate.

Britain has, or had this air of often quirky individualism, people didn't always like it, but they were fascinated by it and they loved seeing it.

Bands, designs, inventors. We just created or contributed towards so much incredible stuff around the world. The Olympic opening ceremony of you recall brought that all to life and was just stunning, the world applauded it.

We are absolutely drifting into the eternal middle of the road and then we will likely stay there with the raft of non-descript countries boring the world with tales of our won derail history.

That would be so sad for us.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  14. clockstander

The arts are still going strong, but London dominates the scene at the top end, the Turner Prize takes a hammering in the press, but the work around the Tate and its off-shots can only be described as amazing, and as long as we have centers of excellence, our diverse culture will continue to generate the talent in the fields you have highlighted. <bubbly>

Nads likes this.
  15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

That's all fair mate but isn't it true that we are dealing in a much smaller creative pot now?

I know they are still out there, our very own Disco off this board showed me some of his design stuff and it was superb, I've an uncle working in advertising and creative design, I iust think it's fading. We aren't renowned for these wonderful talents anymore.

16. Smug in Boots

Me too mate, I just wonder what we're becoming ........

17. Smug in Boots

That's the shame isn't it ........ we were so unique and now we want to be America.

Everyone time I hear a crowd 'whooping' or 'clacking' it makes my ****ing flesh creep.

Nads likes this.
  18. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't know how to be anything else, but I'm one with the silent majority, we don't feel the need to stand up, make a big deal about who or what we are. We just are.

We can be distracted about the impact of immigration, that it will dilute our soul. But that's just ridiculous. Our nation, who we are, is a culmination of thousands of years of immigration.

What we're becoming will always be fluid. Just like our language. It changes day to day.

We need to be concerned how best to influence those beyond our borders, in order to best minimise the impact of current events inside our borders.

We Shouldn't forget that 99.99% of our population are never at risk from current events. The press just portray it that way.

I'm drunk, my apologies, and rambling, and back to work tomorrow.

19. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

After a ramble like that stay drunk.

20. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

come to norfolk its been suspended in time its a throwback probably decades behind thank goodness 13690598_10207813440466311_7010227026474835753_n.jpg

Blunham Mackem likes this.