1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Does England have a culture any more?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Well put but it's not young people I'm talking about, it's the country as a whole.

It seems to lack a national identity and is following in America's slipstream.

Every dismal catchphrase and mannerism is seized upon and repeated to the detriment of our own culture and self worth.

2. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

Twas ever thus.

This is nothing new though.
    Using your example of 'catchphrases', they have been part of our language all my life.
    I heard them originally on the wireless.
    Can I do you now Sir, from ITMA.
    Arthur Askey had a boatload of them.
    The comedians who filled the Empire, like Max Millar made a living out of them. (Mam wouldn't take me to HIS shows!!!!)
    Others we picked up from the pictures. (Previously mentioned Uncle was particularly anti the expression OK and any other phrase he thought was from America).

One of the strengths of our language is that it's fluid and ever changing.
    I get my underwear in a knot with the younger members when they ask to lend something from me.
    YOU BORROW FROM AND LEND TOO, I growl.
    So I haven't quite come to terms with it all, but I'm trying to.
    To quote Mr Zimmerman, The Times They are A-changing.

To sum up my take on your question.

I don't think we are any worse than we were when I was younger.
    But I concede that we are different, as befits the fact that the society and the World have moved on too.

3. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

What annoys me is people mixing up to, too, and two :)

Nordic likes this.
  4. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

The amount of comments from visitors about our neck of the woods reflects just what has been lost in many many parts of this country ,all the mentions in general of what has changed still mostly remains ,so pleased to be part of the preservation of such things.

5. Smug in Boots

Me to .........

Nordic, Neil and Gordon Armstrong like this.
  6. Smug in Boots

I know 'twas ever thus' but, having lived for 60 years, I can say that I've seen various periods some have been much better than others. When I say better I mean in a cultural, inventive or creative way, not strictly chronological as I age. Having spent a decade living abroad I can honestly say the evidence of a national identity and culture is scant and dismays me.

You seem to be fixated with the idea that I'm looking at young people when I talk about culture when I'm not, I'm talking about the country as a whole.

Yes the times are changing and change doesn't always mean things are just as good but different.

7. polyphemus

It all depends on the point of view you take.
    I can't claim to be right and I certainly have no reason to say that you are wrong.
    But, being a 'pint's half full' type, (despite being a Sunderland Fan), I tend to see most change as being progressive.

Different parts of Society will drive differing aspects of change but I take it on an overall perspective as being positive.

I do wonder though what memories my Grandchildren are gathering.
    They will certainly be very different to mine.

8. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

In certain parts of England flying the national flag is seen as racist or a sign that you are scum

England does not have a unique national anthem - we sing the British national anthem

There is no national dress of England

To many, England = London, there is nothing else

Has England lost its culture? Yes, decades ago. But only as a nation, locally we are different.

I am an Englishman and I love getting off the beaten track in England and discovering the culture and identity of the rest of the country. I think it's fantastic when you find a local tradition no matter how bonkers it is. The English countryside and its traditions are the best in the world.

My Dad's family, like Smug's are Northumbrian Border Reiver's and my Mum's family are Cumbrian hill farmers - just scratch the surface on either of those and you'll find amazing cultures and traditions.

We have lots of local identities, cultures and traditions but I don't think we have a national one

9. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

These annoy me!
    Samwidge for sandwich
    Nothink for nothing (that's the worst lol)
    As mentioned elsewhere...lend instead of borrow.

10. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

People that write like they talk.

"Ya naa, wor kid gans doon t the toon, gits mug smashed in lyk"

Had to stop there, I can't even do it and my spell checker was going crazy, but that really does my head in, write in English ffs.

Abbreviations, spelling, grammar mistakes dont really bother me, unless the text is littered with them.

polyphemus likes this.

11. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Innit!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
    :emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry:emoticon-0121-angry

12. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

You mean Billy? <laugh>

Innit is legit vocab, it's in the dictionary innit fam.

13. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Dont have a problem with innit when it is used like 'This is the way to the shops, innit?'

Its when it is used like 'I went to the shops, innit! Inside I bought a curly wurly, innit!' When it is used when it isnt needed. Its embarrassing!

14. Smug in Boots

This is how I feel, especially your final comment ..........

"We have lots of local identities, cultures and traditions but I don't think we have a national one."

15. Smug in Boots

I remember a David Bowie interview when he was asked how he got into making music.

He looked a bit surprised and said, "I was brought up in Brixton and I was bored so started a band."

I hope your Grandchildren aren't one of the crop of zombified thumb twiddlers chasing Pokymen or killing dragons.

But many young children are forever occupied with one screen or another and are never bored.

That being the case I wonder if they'll ever be bothered to start a band or write music.

16. Tel (they/them)

Depends where you're from, you northeasterners say stuff like 'divvent', that ain't right no matter when you say it, innit.

17. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Yey Divvent knaa wot yey taaalking aboot! :emoticon-0142-happy

Divvent means doesnt and is used when appropriate, not randomly placed at end of sentences.

I have no problem with local dialect. I use the word innit, its short for isn't it. You've used it perfectly at the end of your sentence just there. Its when it is dropped unnecessarily at the end of sentences is when it becomes annoying. When they are basically saying things like 'I went to the park, isnt it! Had a go on the swings, the roundabout, but didn't go on the monkey bars cos they looked a bit rusty and dangerous, isn't it!' I often hear it amongst the young ragamuffins who appear on Jeremy Kyle thinking that they are gangsters when they use the term. I only hear it through the media, fortunately it hasnt caught on round my way, yet.

18. polyphemus

Many years ago, when I used to show dogs, I regularly got around the North East Agricultural Shows.

One in Northumberland held wrestling competitions for the locals, presumably mostly farmers.
    Built like brick outhouses these, normally quite proper Gentlemen thought nothing of appearing in public in long-johns and a pair of red velvet knickers.
    Chin on opponent's shoulder, both arms wrapped round his torso and hands clasped, they began attempting to throw their foe to the ground where the winner usually ended up on top of the loser.
    All of this was taken most seriously by all concerned.
    On occasions the odd exhibitionist would have flowers embroidered on his knickers.

I believe that this is technically called Cumberland Wrestling but whatever the name, as long as traditions like this exist there's hope.

Nordic and Riever like this.
  19. Tel (they/them)

I use it a lot!

If divvent means doesn't then why do people say Ah Divvent Knar?

20. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member