1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Dublin's Wild West

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Kilburn, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Dublin boxing weigh-in: Man shot dead, two men injured

A spectator at the weigh-in was filming the moment when the shooting began
    A man has been killed in a shooting at a weigh-in for a World Boxing Organization (WBO) title fight in the Republic of Ireland.

Two other men were injured in the incident at Dublin's Regency Hotel at about 14:30 local time on Friday.

It is understood the gunmen were dressed as police officers and armed with AK47 assault rifles.

The event was ahead of Saturday night's European lightweight bout between Jamie Kavanagh and Antonio Joao Bento.

Uniform
    Kavanagh tweeted to say he was "OK", adding: "I was lucky today is all I can say."

BBC Radio Foyle's sports reporter Kevin McAnena, who was at the weigh-in, said he "never felt terror like it" when one of the attackers pointed a gun at him.

please log in to view this image
    It is understood the gunmen entered the Regency Hotel dressed as police officers
    He said he saw one of the gunmen shoot a man in the leg "about six feet away" from him.

"I heard two loud gunshots from outside coming into the hotel," he said.

"At which point, two men, who I thought were [police] officers - turns out they were just dressed up in [police] uniform - came in with guns."

Gangland
    He said he believed "the man I saw shot is the man that is now dead".

"That same gunman then looked over at me and pointed the gun at me," he said.
    Reporter Kevin McAnena was at the boxing match weigh-in when gunmen opened fire.
    "[Police] have told me since that [the guns] were AK47 rifles.

"It's so surreal, it just happened so quickly, right in front of me.

"A man was shot dead six feet away from me - it's hard to gather your thoughts right now."

Cancelled
    The injured men, in their 20s or 30s, have "possible gunshot wounds", police said, and have been taken to hospitals in Dublin.

Police investigating the suspected gangland crime have sealed off the hotel for a forensic examination.

The hotel has been sealed off by police for a forensic examination
    Mel Cristle, the president of the Boxing Union of Ireland, said the shooting was not indiscriminate and individuals other than the boxers were being targeted.

Speaking to Irish state broadcaster RTÉ, he said people were diving for cover and "they couldn't believe what was going on".

He said there were between 200 and 300 people, including children, at the weigh-in.

The pay-per-view channel Box Nation was due to broadcast Saturday's fight as part of the Clash of the Clans show at Dublin's National Stadium.

But it has said the event has now been cancelled.

Police, fire and ambulance crews were called to the scene of the shooting on Friday afternoon
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35503937

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Someone found swords then

Steelmonkey and Sooperhoop like this.