1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effect of Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

One of the issues not generally touched upon when Brexit rears its ugly head is education. This clip from BBC Question Time makes me wonder what this deluded woman has been taught...

2. Bolton's Boots

Andrew Neil on Twitter - when taken to task over his silly claim that there is a queue to join EU & Scotland would be at the end of it...

"You cybernats are so dumb you don't know Herzegovina is in the queue, and so is Bosnia!"

Geography, it appears, is not one of his strong points either. :)

andytoprankin and canary-dave like this.
  3. Bolton's Boots

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I didn't realize it, but Lloyds bank is the largest mortgage provider in Britain. Seems as if they will be making some moves to Berlin to safeguard the business after the UK leaves the EU. Paris has now claimed to have 10% of the banking business they were looking to attract to the capital, and Dublin is having lots of interest in what they will offer. All of this is going on, and article 50 has not even been lodged yet.

5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

The damage is done, ofh. Or, at least, a large part of it. The world's financial sector has lost a lot of confidence in London and there is no reason they should suddenly regain it. The country has shown its colours even if we were now to stay in Europe. The party isn't over - but people are starting to leave.

6. andytoprankin

A glimpse at the next National Curriculum?

7. andytoprankin

I'm not so hopeful, ofh. The Labour Party's Blairites would rather see a Tory govt than a Corbyn one so, yes, Labour Party is in trouble. But I don't see the centre-ground recovering as swiftly as you suggest. The Faustian pact meant they lost a whole load of votes for a couple of decades, methinks. I can only see a horrible shift to the right, early 80s Thatcher-style. And it's the shift of the middle ground to the right that has so damaged our country. The shift to 'self'.
    The referendum was an example of how voters fail to act cogently, or vaguely notice how they have been manipulated.

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes that is the worst -case scenario.... and quite likely

Interesting we discuss French politics in my French class.... and the tutor is coming to believe that Le Pen may actually get in....

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

On Monday this week I was talking to Mme about the fact that there was a real possibility that the Vauxhall plants could close in the UK and move to Germany and France. I mentioned it again Tuesday in a conversation with cologne. It seems that tonight crisis talks are taking place with the Business Minister suddenly having to rush off to Paris.
    If it is all so obvious to an elderly gent sat in a remote part of France, it should be clear to government who are? better informed that these sort of problems are real, and not something that a piece of a political wish list can deal with.

I will go back into my shell now and keep quiet. :emoticon-0127-lipss

11. Bolton's Boots

12. Bolton's Boots

13. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Must admit I'm not quite as gloomy as some of you. I don't think the EU and the Euro look too smart. Down here in Spain there is massive debt, massive corruption, still officially 18% unemployment (it is much higher) , and very low wages backed by a lack of contract (and thus security) for most. The new political parties now have a foot hold. Indeed the new left party in the polls is in second place and the old left party at this time doesn't have a leader. And Catalunya is pushing very hard for independence.
    So could be hard left here while other EU players go extreme right. Poisonous mixture.

And while business will move some activity to the EU it is equally true some businesses will move some activity to the UK. After all 70 million customers who are on average better off than the average in the EU is one big market.

And then there is the Singapore approach for the city. The change would create pain but in the long term ..................................

I would have preferred if we had stayed but even that route had extreme problems. What cost would we carry if we were in and in three years time the Euro finally breaks???

And in any case just imagine the Prem with Barcelona in it <laugh><laugh>

aberdeenhornet likes this.
  14. yorkshirehornet

Good comments KC

15. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

And now Tony Blair enters the fray claiming to fight Brexit. Regardless of whether you think Brexit is good or bad are these interventions useful or do they just disrupt the inevitable Brexit process?

While many as here discuss the pros and cons of Brexit I don't see any great effort being made by the masses to disrupt it.

Even Scotland seems fairly subdued on the matter.

Sadly I think that Brexit for many (a significant number but not a majority) is about immigration and not about economy/jobs/standard of living. For this reason putting forward no matter how strong economical arguments is like water off a duck's back.

[Note I use the word racist here not in the KKK sense but more in a 'fear of outsiders' sense].

But of course no one likes to be labled a racist even in the lightest terms so people are reluctant to present their real concerns. Well except the US where a growing number do seem to be more willing to be openly racist from what I have seen on the TV.

aberdeenhornet likes this.
  16. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

52% voted for Brexit. Which means they voted to go on a journey (ie. to leave) but there is absolutely no mandate as to the destination. In a year's time circumstances will have changed and we will have more idea of what Brexit actually could mean for the UK. there is absolutely nothing undemocratic about asking the people a second time on an issue of such importance. Judges, the World over, ask juries to go back and reconsider their verdicts - are they being undemocratic in doing so ?

aberdeenhornet and kchorn like this.
  17. yorkshirehornet

I agree...

,,, and much as Blair is to be persona non grata in the current political era.... at least he of all the major public figures has called for BREXIT to be reviewed.

18. Bolton's Boots

I'd disagree about Scotland being subdued - there is another thread that may explain that, the 'can we trust the press?' one. What may tend to be 'hidden' outside of Scotland is the engagement on social media, on the streets & in pubs - and Brexit is still a hot topic, one that the media tend to downplay and/or put a specific slant on.

And for Scotland, immigration and the economy are both important issues. We need and generally welcome immigrants (I say generally because there always a few who disagree, quite possibly on racist grounds) - and our economy is heavily reliant on access to the EU's single market. That's why a clear majority here voted to Remain.

19. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

BB I was going on meeting with our clients there but you made me think. At the moment they are in Edinburgh and St Andrews. And I remember at the ref the west of Scotland (Glasgow) was distinct from the East so I may be seeing that again. I'd agree immigration is an issue north of the border which is a little odd when you look at the number of Scots living south of the border and all over the world. I remember in my golf club ten years ago in England on Burn's night. It was asked (very friendly I should add) if they wanted to return north. Not one was a taker :cheesy: But tx for reminding me. Those nights with pipes, haggis and kilts were tremendous fun for all [no bagpipe smillie - what a pain :emoticon-0125-mmm:]

20. Bolton's Boots

I guess there are plenty of Scots dotted around the world - and all have left quite probably for different reasons, some forced and some seeking greener grass. Once settled elsewhere, it can be a right pain, and costly, to go back to your roots, so it's no surprise to me that most stay away. I think I've bucked that trend though - after spending over three decades in Oz I came back - and I wonder how many of those living in England will change their minds when the expected privations of Brexit kick in, and Scotland has avoided them by going its own merry way.
    bagpipes-1254.gif