1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effect of Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

The % of the debt that goes on subsidised housing???

I thought your great economists were going to take us out of debt???

With every Tory govt we get further into debt.....

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you unwittingly have put your finger on one of the problems SH. There has been no risk assessment. Davis was asked, and agreed that there had not been one. Without one how do you know what you are letting yourself in for? The load of bricks I referred to. You have been told that you can have enough for that house, and they will not cost you anything like the normal price. Great says you always on the look out for a bargain. When they turn up you find that they are not facing bricks, just common ones. You complain that you were not given the right information, but by now the seller has disappeared from sight. Get the comparison?

3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

No.

The greater risk assessment of staying in the EU was not done either. The correct choice was made.

4. superhorns

Talking about bricks I rejected the local Bovingdons at £800 per k for another brick at £500 per k, used on super house in Berko.
    I always do research before making decisions. I rejected the local Bovingdon bricks at £800 per k for a brick used on a super house in Berko at £500 per k. A bargain for better looking bricks. The silly building inspector was comparing the sample brick panel / clay tile sample against the nearest neighbour's house 200 metres away!! beggars belief.

5. yorkshirehornet

Any researcher will tell you the assertion you are making is faulty logic. You would fail your undergraduate degree mate....
    You an only have a hypothesis at this point.
    then you test it
    then you have your result

Unfortunately your hypothesis is facile and that is why you are getting so many challenges here as it is groundless at this point

6. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

And household debt is not the same as a country's debt. They are totally different economically. This was Thatcher's great misconception she deliberately foisted on the masses. Clever trick - it worked.

7. superhorns

We are leaving the EU, nobody, including you, knows the terms of the outcome. I am confident, you are not. I'm quite happy to accept that.

8. superhorns

There are many similarities and consequences between the two.

Wasn't Margaret Thatcher voted the greatest Briton since the previous Tory leader Winston Churchill?.

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I am not happy with the passive 'it was done' here. Would you mind enlightening us as to 'who' voted her 'the greatest Briton' since Churchill. Nobody asked me.

10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Ah yes.....just found it. A BBC poll done in 2002 to find the 100 greatest Britons of all time - this obsession with making hierarchies out of people is quite amazing. Anyway, according to this the greatest Britons since Churchill were.........Diana Spencer, and then John Lennon !! The 'all time' list showed us more about the level of intelligence of the public than anything else - Diana being placed above both Will Shakespeare and Isaac Newton, Eric Morecambe being placed above both Charles Dickens and Thomas More........and, it gets worse, Boy George being placed above Florence Nightingale !

11. yorkshirehornet

<laugh>

mmmm.... that is what you get with populism... or is this the great so-called democracy???

12. yorkshirehornet

Interesting your narrative is ALWAYS about being better than .......................

13. superhorns

Boy George was a much better singer than Florence without the machine.

14. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Nearly as ridiculous as using Churchill as the yardstick - the starver of millions and first to use chemical weapons.

15. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

An interesting graph on UK Trade figures since 1940. Can anyone tell me what happened in the early 70s and early 90s to cause those spikes? :)

Capture2.JPG

16. andytoprankin

The same people who didn't ask you about Brexit.

17. andytoprankin

They're really not. A nation's debt is more similar to corporate debt and very different to household debt.

18. superhorns

The consequences of debt are extremely similar for household, corporate and national. As a former FD and creator of several small and one medium sized business I have had too much experience of the former two.
    In common the lender calls the shots, they decide the rates, they can withdraw funding at short notice. All three are similarly subject to credit rating.
    Interest payments on loans reduce the ability to spend on other options. Household - food, heating etc, UK debt - 40 billion on interest not on hospitals etc.

The only benefit the UK debt has over other nations is our recent impressive growth and our willingness to actually address our debt by reducing expenditure. This is why the UK enjoys one of the better credit ratings of debtor countries.

Margaret Thatcher was spot on that good financial governance and the consequences would be applicable to all three.

19. yorkshirehornet

...and spot-off when it came to caring for her people

andytoprankin likes this.
  20. superhorns

Her popularity and longevity in office suggested otherwise. She rescued the UK form the Russian sponsored organised anarchy from Red Robbo, Scargill and their motley crew. None of her labour reforms have been watered down including through a long period of a Labour government. We went from the sick man of Europe to having the least number of days lost through strikes. Just look at France's industrial figures if you want to remember how bad things were before she took control.