1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EFL TROPHY

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe Sepp Blatter has popped over here to give the EFL some tips on how to run a successful competition....:headbang:

2. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Harvey would never say his pet project was a failure - regardless of fan opinion.

No one really thought that adding the U21 teams would be a success. It was a bully move from the Premier League.

It is high time the Premier League clubs (particularly the big boys) realised that it is they that are failing the England youth (and other home nations come to that) - with their obsessions around signing countless prospects from abroad rather than giving fair trial to players from their youth teams.

Until the money stops talking the national side will always be mediocre & no amount of messing with the Football League (as it is not the EFL!) will fix the problem!

Right rant over, back to work...

3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

The numbers of English players contributing to our failure at international level is a lazy and simplistic argument. If that was such a huge factor, why then were we so awful in the 80s when the entire top division mostly was English (or Welsh or Scottish)? There's a range of factors, obviously the lack of players playing at the top level is a factor but relatively minor I feel. Other factors include archaic attitudes and coaching methods at youth and senior level, the lack of English players playing abroad, a perennial tendency to pick players based on name or who they play for rather than form or even game time (Rooney being a prime example), the fact that the players are treated as bigger than the team, and a xenophobic press who demand the England manager has to be English, despite the fact that our worst tournament performances have been under an English manager (Hogdson/McLaren) while our best has been under a foreigner (Erickson). Among other reasons.

As for this Trophy, Harvey can piss off and take his sycophantic attitude with him.

4. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Reflecting on your comments PompeyLapras I do agree with most of them and can see your point.

I agree particularly that players should be picked on merit not name. Rooney has not been the same player since moving to the midfield and we have better options than him now anyway. I am a fan of Defoe and was pleased to see him start last time.

I see that we both agree about Harvey at any rate - the sooner he is gone the better for the Football League.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see we are back into the checkatrade big question once more. I read that there was a vote to see if clubs still agreed with the prem joining in with their U23 players once more. I understand that following the question being asked of Argyle supporters which was they didn't want it the club voted for it to go back to league one and two only. Unfortunately most of the others voted yes following the kerching sound from the tills. So once more we have prem clubs entering teams and the one we get is Chelsea U12's.

There is a fair bit of grumbling again on pasoti that people intend to boycott and the fact that this is being sold to people as us playing the prem champions is a step too far. Well to be fair it bloody well is. There is no way any first team player is going to get anywhere near the pitch in this competition so to say it is us v champions is way out of order. I for one will not attend this competition on principle yet again. I do not and will not agree that the prem should be allowed in so I'm out. I think the attendences once more will be less than poor.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

**** that cup..

7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Our Academy/U23's lost to Coventry in the semis last year. Coventry took 40,000 to Wembley. If we had won I doubt we would have taken 4000. The U23/Academy thing is destroying the competition. If the FA want young players developed they should be playing in the Championship rather than in a non-sensical U23 League.

8. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The FA are creating their own problem and to help them out they expect the lower leagues to bend over and brace for the few bank notes they pass their way. They, the FA, are selling their souls to the TV companies for mega bucks and the premier league is getting a shed load. They basically can't be arsed to develope anyone. They can afford to go out and buy ready made players from abroad and pay them shed loads of cash to appear on their behalf. Anyone who looks like they may have a modicum of talent that the little clubs find gets bought up for peanuts and promptly disappears into oblivion. If the FA wasn't selling themselves and the league to the devil then some of these players at least might just see the light of day and develope.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

We would also have better international teams.. A you say when such teams have a talent, the bug guns take them and leave them? how many actually play?
    Its all to do with the big fat brown envelope these stupid mouldy old men on the FA get <steam>

The best way is to avoid going to the games.. extra games any way. not needed. **** the EFL cup