1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by John Cardew, Mar 29, 2015.

1. John Cardew

John Cardew Well-Known Member

What do you all think of the new format allowing 24 teams to qualify rather than 16? I was dead against it at first but after today's results there's looking like a great chance for all the home nations to be involved which would be spectacular I think.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Didn't know they'd changed it.

I will say this. It will mark 20 years since I last enjoyed and respected England's participation in a tournament.

Disco down under likes this.
  3. John Cardew

9 groups now, top 2 in each group through (18), best 3rd place (1) then the remaining 8 play-off (4) plus hosts France (1). Your thoughts seem to be pretty common among people nowadays, can't see myself ever feeling like that, every time a tournament comes around I can't contain my excitement.

4. Brian Storm

Falling out of love with the game generally at the moment fella. The Euros sound dreadful with that set up. Just trying to draw the tournament out longer me thinks.

Home_and_Away likes this.
  5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Don't like the new format..Too many crappy teams getting a look in..

6. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Have been saying the same thing to friends this weekend in Manchester Bri... Players just don't seem to care anymore.
    I went to a few games in Euro '92 and was in Copenhagen for the night of the final... An unbelievable experience!!
    I hope the British teams get to next years finals as it causes more interest but it will all end in tears as usual !!

7. Brian Storm

I'll watch it like, but I'll be neutral as usual. Not saying I don't want England to win it, I don't want to see them fail, just won't be bothered when they go out.

8. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

An opinion shared by many me thinks !! :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. John Cardew

I generally would agree and did at first, but seeing how the prospect of qualifying has galvanised Wales and NI in particular has been great to see.

10. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Format makes no odds to me, our national side will meet opposition with far superior tacticians to Roy Hodgson and we will be picked apart no matter what players turn out.

This obsession with blaming 'overpaid players' needs adjusting for me to encompass the ****ing idiot Hodgson. It's not the players fault alone anymore, under Capello maybe, but under Hodgson, nah the guy is a top of the range prat.

People banging on about grass roots FFS, look at the **** stood on the sidelines rubbing his face.

11. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They should have a two-tier system like they do in tennis with the Davis Cup, or in Rugby with the Heinekin Cup.

A Cup level for the top teams, and a Shield level for the minnows.

The winners, or finalists of the Shield Comp get to play in the Cup the following year.

That way, we won't be playing pointless games against San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar, Malta, etc.....

12. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

Since us Aussies won the Asian cup you reckon we could get a wildcard into Euro 2016? <laugh> Not that I watch it but we've been giving a spot on Eurovision this year so I'm basing it off that :emoticon-0136-giggl

13. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

It's a good job that there are not only 16 teams in The Premier League, then :angel:

MrRAWhite likes this.