1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

FA Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by GeordieHalfbreed, May 22, 2016.

1. Q

Q Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums up my position on the matter also.

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

2010/11

Birmingham, Blackpool, WEST HAM

2011/12

Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves

2012/13

Wigan, Reading, QPR

2013/14

NORWICH, Fulham, Cardiff

2014/15

Hull, BURNLEY, QPR

Clubs in bold are the ones who have been promoted after relegation. Hull may add to this. Looking at that the odds do not look great for us. Add in that Norwich have form in this regard, and we could be in for a chastening season. Rafa ain't got some magic wand which makes us an exception to the rule. We were relegated on merit and will be in the same boat every other relegated club has been.

3. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

We were relegated on merit thanks to our performances under McClaren (and, if the Sun is to be believed - a big if - thanks to an unfair number of dodgy decisions). And, credit where it's due, an excellent run from S*nderland.

If we'd played like we did under Rafa all season we'd have been nowhere near the relegation zone. Hence the optimism if (IF!) he stays.

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

We would probably not have been relegated, that is true. However I don't think we should kid ourselves, we'd still have been well entrenched in the bottom half (excluding how he might have better spent the money). We are where we are and I personally think next season is going to be tough regardless who is in charge. I think the league is a bit of bastard these days.

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  5. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

If Rafa stays we will have no problem. Opposing teams playing in front of 50000 screaming geordies should do the trick. 23 home games, we should win at least 18 of those, with a few draws. That will put us near to 60 points. So we will need, roughly,25-30 points from 23 away games. That will give us around the 88 point mark that will secure promotion. Anything over that is a bonus.. The math does not lie, just ask Markus du Sautoy.!!
    It equals the solution we all want, automatic promotion.....

6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that will get you up, mate. I'd be aiming for mid 90's to secure promotion, in the Chumpionship.

7. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I've just checked and 88 points would have had you finishing 4th, the season just gone.