1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Federico Fernandez

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

4 weeks ago I'd have sold him in a heartbeat. Not there yet, but he's getting back to the player of two seasons ago.

It's a win, win for us because he'll either keep improving or the new contract will have just added a few million more to his price tag.

Kifflom! and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  3. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

The " Good " news from this news is it appears we may have a " Happy " player again . Like Valley , to me it's a win win and the thought that even though he was under the gun with us , it appears others see his value if we turned down a substantial offer .... an extra win in there IMO.

4. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Bumped into him at the gym recently. He's really quite a slight fella. Surprised me. It looks like him and Mawson are the real deal in terms of partnership. Amat & VDH are a level below right now but decent stand-ins if needed. Mawson appears to be the main man though, based on recent performances at least.

Stumpy likes this.
  5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

That's a very narrow point of view Valley :p.

Generally speaking players signing new contracts are a good thing see what you wrote.

Just to play devils advocate though, now he's got his nice juicy contract he can now down tools and chill out knowing he's going to get paid irrespective of how he plays.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  6. Kifflom!

But possibly playing in the Championship along with the rest of the team if he and they don't maintain the improvement.

Stumpy and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  7. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

There's a couple of reasons why Fernandez has improved of late imo.

Firstly, he's finally getting over the loss of his partner, Ash. No one else missed him as much as Fernandez imo, Amat rarely played with him, Mawson and VDH didn't at all but Ash was Fernandez other half on the pitch. They'd formed a bonded partnership together over the years and Ash's leaving exposed Fernandez more than anyone.

It has helped Fernandez a lot that Mawson has been able to step up and seamlessly step into a defensive line and is solid enough to form a new fledgling partnership with Fernandez.

Of late Fernandez and Mawson have started to bond and play well together with each complementing the others game. This was not possible and would never have happened with a Joker in charge whose selection policy was to throw darts over his shoulder and select whoever got hit. Under Bradley, selection was all over the place and so was the team, no one got the chance to settle into their position and there was no hope of anyone forming partnerships on the pitch.

This is so different now under Clement as the team is far more settled due to his consistency in selection. Now players can learn to play together and grow as an individual team and not a team of individuals.

Glad to see Fernandez feels settled enough to want to sign a new contract. Siggy wanted to stay, Loriente, Routledge, now Fernandez, our new boys have settled tight into the team like they've been here years, just shows the magic Paul Clement is casting over the club imo. <wizard>

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    seabreeze likes this.
  8. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I think it is a good thing he is signing, If he keeps up his partnership with Mawson it can only be a good thing as they get stronger and form a better partnership. I can see us bringing in a new centre back in the summer, then we will have 3 good centre backs, I see both Amat and VDH on their toes in the summer, neither are good enough and both are liabilities when it comes to making rash decisions. We will have Bartley back and a new recruit plus Mawson and Fernndez for next year.

As for Mawson he is turning into a really good signing, but he still has a long way to go, I love his heart and commitment to the side and gives everything to try and get us a result. Love to know how many shot blocks he has made. But, h still has a long way to go, terrifies me when he is in possession at the back and has given a few balls away cheaply. I think we need to enjoy him being here as if he continues to progress as he is, he wont be here long.

9. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Yep - I was at the Liberty on a Wednesday early in September and must admit I was surprised at how slight he was.

10. seabreeze

Contrary to popular belief , I think we are set for CB's with Mawson , Fernandea with VDH on stand by . They seem to be getting their rythem and can only see them getting stronger .... as , I assume , the club thinks also with the extention to Fernandez's contract .We may sign another in the summer IF we stay up , which it is starting to appear we will , but I would rather spenour time and money first on a right back .
    Also , it appears Fer is in Clements plans as he continues to play very well since Clement has started playing him full time .

11. trundles left foot

I agree with you up until VDH, he simply isn't good enough and under PC hasn't even made the bench for our last 5 games with Amat there who appears to be in front of him , you are spot though if we go down he will be used next season. Have to say Fer is playing well at the moment and looking fitter and putting more of a shift in.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  12. seabreeze

VDH won player of the season at an early age for his Dutch club , so much so Ajax goobled him up but never got a chance because Ajax had an abundence of players and got lost in the " minors " there . We got a great deal for this young CB , one that got a MOTM in his very few games with us . Mawson and VDH are very young and will learn lots with us and Fernandez IMO . I tealise I'm probably alone in my thinking , but I was alone with Fer and Fernandez when most wanted to ditch both earlier . So I'll continue to go with my gut on Van Der Horne .

13. trundles left foot

ADH is exactly the same age as Amat, they are both 24, so do we persevere there as well.

seabreeze likes this.
  14. seabreeze

Some will like Amat , some will like VDH .. it's a matter of opinion . What's not a matter of opinion is Amat had twice the chance VDH has had . Another fact is since Fernandez stopped playing with Amat , Fernandez's game has improved twofold . I'll be surprized ( unless VDH is in the doghouse with Clement ) if Amat plays more than a few minutes here and there the rest of the season .

BobbyD likes this.
  15. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I don't think we can judge Amat or VDH too harshly because we've haven't seen them play under Clement yet.

Both were going along nicely under Guidolin, and its only under Bradley that things turned really sour for them; its no coincidence that it went bad for the rest of the team too.

I think Amats and VDH's loss in form was down to the skill and ability of Bradley whose innate talent managed to get the worst out of everyone he coached as Fernandez was shocking too under Bradley and I think we gave Mawson the benefit of doubt due to his age and rawness.

Now the team is being coached and trained properly every man has responded. I think the Clement factor has rubbed off on the whole squad and both Amat and VDH will have benefited from this too and will be better players for it.

Kifflom!, JackHammer and seabreeze like this.
  16. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Whatever contracts are handed out we still need better defenders in the summer to achieve stiff competition and cover, I want to see a clear out of players either on loan if they are worth investing in or permanent and replaced with a bit more quality...We have to offer Gylfi a good enough contract that will encourage him to want to stay and of course a new chairman..
    This forum is in melt down and following other clubs who don't use this site anymore.....

17. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

No game this weekend. Everyone's having a break.

Well, I was having a break until I posted this, saying there was no game this weekend and everyone's having a break...

PGFWhite and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  18. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

It is more than a break. it happens a lot....boring...

19. Kifflom!

Where's the meltdown? Must have missed it. I agree with Stumpy in saying that Amat & VDH mustn't be judged too harshly bearing in mind they got their chance under a pretty awful coach.

Stumpy likes this.
  20. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Mawson has been playing well recently and TBH I think he's being put on a pedestal because he's scoring a few goals. Some of his "magical play" has been getting himself out of trouble because of his own cock ups. He's got away with a few things but if he doesn't sort them out he will eventually get caught out.

Thats's all due to his rawness.

He is a natural leader. He seems to have the right attitude. He seems to want to learn and progress.

The ONLY good thing that Bradley did during his tenure was to give Mawson his debut. Lets hope Mawson continues to progress under our new manager because if he can sort out his shortcomings he has the potential to be our Club captain for the next decade.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017