1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Film (movie for Ellewood) thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by look_back_in_amber, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Quill

Quill Bastard

Agree to disagree. As I had already mentioned, I am a big fan of Japanese film, which probably tips the scales.

Fistful is still a fantastic film, the best of the Dollars trilogy IMO.

2. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

On western remakes The Seven Samurai is infinitely better than The Magnificent Seven.

3. Quill

Quill Bastard

Absolutely.

4. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Just watched Kajaki on afdah.org....perfect stream. Really puts into perspective what our guys went through in Iraq and Afghanistan though...all heroes! Terrifying movie though

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  5. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I'm really pleased that you watched and enjoyed it Canada, as you rightly say heroes, and yes that afdah.org streaming service really is superb.

6. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

The animated Jungle Book is far better than the original. There's a bit in the black and white one where you just hear "Baghera no!" and a stuffed panther gets chucked on screen <laugh>

A Muppet Christmas Carol was better than the other one. I also preferred Oceans 11 from the 2000s to the ratpack version, by a smidgen. Both good films, but I prefer the plot of the remake to the other one, which is a bit darker.

7. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Visit the movies at least once per month. Lived through the 'Cold War' era and loved the film seen last weekend " Bridge of Spies."
    It filled in a few gaps of knowledge around the incident portrayed.

8. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the American detective with a lollipop? <whistle> Sorry

You are right it makes you think long and hard about stuff Some people are beyond these sorts of thoughts .though. as per the two scum bags that beat a pensioner up on Hessle square the other day all he said was good night to them. Makes me boil.

.. http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Pensioner-beaten-men-Hessle-Square/story-28140710-detail/story.html

9. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

couldnt disagree more.

Watched Internal Affairs last year for the first time and was hugely disappointed. Thought the dialogue, pacing were utterly ****e. The characters aren't properly developed at all, the acting is just weird in it and it seems to go from 0 to 100 in the space of one scene.

2/10

10. CANADATIGER

Saw "Bridge of Spies" myself last week BMB. Excellent movie with Tom Hanks doing a great job as the lawyer who played the central role in the Gary Powers exchange deal. I was studying in Germany at Heidelberg Uni. at the time and watched the Berlin Wall going up and the scenes of panic/murder on TV as East Germans tried to scale the wall. Grim times.

11. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Bet you loved " The Student Prince " which featured Heidelberg Uni and came out around that time!

12. Quill

Quill Bastard

Bridge of Spies isn't out here in the UK until the 27th, God knows why, but as soon as it lands I'll be off to see it.

Bit late to it, bu finally got to see Crimson Peak earlier today. It's alright, Hiddleston has a great performance and as with all Del Toro movies it looks beautiful and has a superb atmosphere. I would say it is style over substance, but is still worth a watch. 3/5.

13. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to watch Kajaki now
    I nearly did the other night and then got distracted ( something shiny ...or alcoholic probably)

14. Altrincham Tiger

Altrincham Tiger Well-Known Member

The Long Walk was probably my favourite Stephen King/Richard Bachman story. They should have adapted it at the same time they did The Running Man, (although that was nothing like the book).

15. dennisboothstash

If I can add a slight aside and drop some film length documentaries into the conversation ...
    I've recently watched a few great ones

Muscle Shoals - fantastic story of music studios in small town Alabama. You'd be amazed how many great recordings came out if there.
    Supermensch the legend of Shep Gordon - stories from Alice Coopers manager from days when music fans meant proper excess. Quite sad bits too though
    Rubble Kings - pretty much the real story of The Wariors, incredible

16. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Watch it Dennis,you won't regret it, it starts off a bit slow but it more than makes up for it later on.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  17. Quill

Quill Bastard

In terms of film docs, nothing for me beats Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, the making of documentary for Apocalypse Now.

There are loads of great documentaries, particularly from decades ago, such as Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera, Man on Wire, The Thin Blue Line, Night and Fog among others.

One I have really wanted to see (and also not due to it's subject matter) is Claude Lanzmann's Shoah, a 10 hour film on the Holocaust.

Another documentary I would recommend (sort of), just due to it's incredible outlandish attempts at propaganda, is Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will. It's an incredibly interesting movie, and absolutely obvious blatant attempt at propaganda, it reminds us not only of the terror of fascism but of the power of the image.

Oh, and I can't forget 'Man Getting Hit by Football' by Hans Moleman... :bandit:

18. CANADATIGER

The last hour is unrelentingly horrifying....very hard to watch. But a grim reminder of what our lads over there had to endure...and are still suffering the consequences. Heroes all!! God bless them.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  19. dennisboothstash

I might stick to Disney instead

20. CANADATIGER

Sure did BMB...Mario Lanza.."Drink, drink, drink"!! Had a great time...but not so great for the poor Germans in East Berlin.