1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Film (movie for Ellewood) thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by look_back_in_amber, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

The Long Walk is also my favorite. They should have made Running Man like the book,. After 9 11 they kept saying on TV that no one had ever thought of flying an airliner into a skyscraper. I remember thinking every time they said that well, its clear you have never read any books. Rage might make a good movie to, but with all the school shootings thats another one thats probably hard to do. Stephen King writting as Bachman is really his purest work in my opinion.

2. Quill

Quill Bastard

Technically Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie, as it was released by Disney-owned Miramax.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  3. ellewoods

Can you even get a degree without seeing that film? It was required at my university.

4. Quill

Quill Bastard

They've never seen Escape from New York then.

5. Quill

Quill Bastard

I think you can, but I watched it off my own back anyways.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Citizen Kane were the ones we had to have seen, luckily I had seen them both several times before and owned them.

6. ellewoods

They kept saying it over and over again. Running Man the book is far better than the movie, although the movie is a really good 80's Arnold movie.

7. ellewoods

We didnt have to watch those, I am sure a film major would have to but everyone was required to take this one history class and that was required viewing in it.

8. Quill

Quill Bastard

I've never actually read the book, but the movie is classic 80s Arnie.

Escape from New York is pretty underrated against Carpenter's other 80s films.

I think it depends on who the film major is. I can imagine some are quite petty and would refuse to show it to people because of it's subject matter, which of course is ridiculous as most people aren't stupid enough to buy into what it is saying.

It was probably on the list to be fair, but never actually picked.

9. ellewoods

You should be able to pick up a Richard Bachman book (Stephen King's early writings) that contains The Long Walk, Running Man, Rage and Roadwork. He published them as a book with 4 short stories. Later he published a couple others but those 4 are the ones you should read.

Quill likes this.
  10. Altrincham Tiger

Altrincham Tiger Well-Known Member

I didn't read The Running Man until after 9/11 so that scene was a bit of a shock shall we say. Although I do like the film, I completely dissociate it from the book and treat the two as separate entities. I know Rage is a book that Stephen King himself has virtually disowned due to school shootings and allowed to go out of print - in the USA at least. Wasn't a copy of it found in the locker of some pupil who went on a shooting rampage?

11. ellewoods

It might be out of print after reading it you would understand why. It wouldnt surprise me if it was found in the locker of someone who did a school shooting. The incident in the book is sort of a positive in a way as the characters are forced to address problems in their life. One could see someone with mental issues reading it and then thinking that a similar event would fix their own problems.

12. Quill

Quill Bastard

I hope it was blamed for the shooting as much as Doom was for Columbine.

13. ellewoods

I dont remember anyone really blaming the book for anything. I suppose if he remembers it it might have been but its never been anything I have seen. Our conservatives love to blame movies, video games for everything. Bill O'Riley from fox news used to have his own crusade where he thought Dungeons and Dragons was going to turn everyone into murderous Satan worshipers. Its just political posturing and best to ignore, especially if you arent an American and dont understand why they talk like that.

14. Quill

Quill Bastard

Oh I know why they talk like that.

Because they're ****ing idiots who have no idea what they're talking about, sticking to a political agenda rather than actually talking sense (something tbf very rare in politics).

Ooh er, politics. Better shut up.

Altrincham Tiger likes this.
  15. ellewoods

Probably best you are right. You going to watch Into the Badlands? It starts on Sunday.

16. Quill

Quill Bastard

Probably not to be honest, I've heard more bad than good.

I'm probably going to start watching Jessica Jones on Netflix this weekend.

17. ellewoods

Well I will tell you how it goes. I havent heard anything about it I have just watched the previews on TV.

I havent seen Jessica Jones but I have heard good things about it. The one I want to watch is The Man in High Castle but I dont have the streaming amazon.

18. Quill

Quill Bastard

I've seen the first episode, it's really good.

19. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Obviously you don't watch Fox News since you can't even spell the name of by far the most watched and popular (albeit controversial) political commentator in America. Its O'REILLY mate. But obviously you prefer the likes of the odious Obama "Progressive" toadies such as "tingle up my leg" Chris Matthews on CNBC!!

20. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Canada don't **** my thread up with politics please pal, I'm hoping to see some really good recommends for films on here, politics will just see it locked. :emoticon-0167-beer:

Quill likes this.