1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Finding your level.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39566767

How did this guy manage our club for nearly 2 years? Failure at Charlton and Coventry since his departure, he's now dropped to League 2.

Tan must have been nuts (or very clever?) to appoint such a loser at a club that had just played it's previous season in the Premier League. After just 7 games back in the Championship, the OGS fiasco was blown away and this guy appointed in his place.

I remain convinced that we had a retained squad in place when we came down that was capable of bouncing back to the Premier League - in retrospect, what price Pulis now who was available at the time.

What might have been eh?

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

He inherited a number of good individuals that didn't gel as a team he was also given a hatchet job by tan.
    A very ordinary manager.
    Agree that pullis, or Warnock, would have wheeled and dealt to balance the books and still got us top six.

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Warnock would have done the job as well but I think he'd already gone back to Palace by then to replace Pulis.

4. ccfcremotesupport

It all becomes a blur that far back sparkey. My brain cell isn't what it once was.

5. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

we were cost cutting at the time so bringing in an expensive manager would have been counterproductive, on the pitch under slade it was an awful couple of years however coming out of it we look a far far better club than we did after being relegated, and now look like getting or at least challenging for promotion 4 years after being relegated.

DaiJones likes this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Maybe the same rule should apply to managers as well as players? A player can't sign and play for more than two clubs in any season.

Grimsby is Slade's 3rd bloody club this season, and actually his 4th if you count us at the start of it. Something not right about that.

7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Desperate clubs, desperate measures. And they must be pretty bloody desperate to want Russ after the season he's had.

I think managers are different to players though. At this level they are normally walking into dead men's shoes with the previous manager already gone. Alternatively perhaps clubs should have to stick with their manager from the start to the end of the season.......

Would we have favored that? <yikes>

8. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Russ is a reasonable lower league manager.

I think he gets some unfair stick.

His job was to lower the wage bill and maintain us in the league.Job done.

Glad he's not with us anymore though.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I don't think Slade gets unfair stick Hilts - you're either successful or a loser at the various levels you take on in his line of work. He's not been a success at any level and actually a failure at anything above league 2.

He may well have been recruited by Tan to do a job, but by hell he didn't half do one on the playing side of our club! He dumbed down our game and produced possibly the most boring football for couple of seasons I can remember.

I was never a fan of DJ and he had his faults, but at least there were highs as well as lows - Slade's tenure was a string of lows.

Both Charlton and Coventry have terrible owners but both clubs were too big for him to take on and he paid the price at both. Maybe Grimsby is the answer - as the thread title says - Finding your level" is about it.

10. ccfcremotesupport

I wonder what the record is for the number of times a manager has lost a playoff final.
    Russ has three.

11. Hilts24

Slade is a LMA League 1 manager of the year.

Hes decent at that level and I reckon hed do a better job at some clubs at the bottom of the Championship.

Id say L1 is his level. Charlton and Coventry are both shambles of clubs at the moment.

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Had to google that Hilts. <ok>

So he was LMA of the year at Yeovil 10 years ago and Orient more recently - he's really come on well since hasn't he.

He's won those accolades in the press but never anything on the pitch.

Despite the crap owners Duchatalet and SISU at Charlton and Coventry, in footballing terms he bombed at League 1 level this time around let alone the Championship.

I expect some will think he could have kept Rotherham up like Warnock did last year - mind you he's better than Lee Johnson.....<laugh>

13. Hilts24

I dont know why and correct me if im wrong Sparkey but i get the feeling you dont rate old Russ.<laugh>