1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

First Quarter Stock Take

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Oct 9, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Plym started a thread called injuries and whilst they have some importance as we learned last season I got thinking that a report on the first quarter performance might not be a waste and an opportunity for people to say what they think of it so far.

The start of the new term was less than spectacular with loss the only result. Brent out, sack Adams get rid of the Board were the cries going up. Adams in particular was at fault for buying in donkeys who nobody else wanted. Given the disappointment of the previous terms end I suppose that reaction was only to be expected. Then the ugly ducklings turned to swans it seems. They sometimes tried to lose in that their play wasn't the greatest but somehow they got results and pretty much win has been the only result since. Adams is now fabulous again and Brent and the Board even get praise in some quarters.

The players have bloomed from those that looked to be a poor group. Players that looked average got to know their comrades and a team broke out. Some of the football has at times still been average but at others they have looked like a better than league two side. We have suffered injuries which would have knocked us off stride last time but others have come in and done a job so that the business end has looked seamless. Players have come off the bench and changed things. I actually can't put my hand on heart and really criticise any of them even if I've said I'm less kean on one before.

I won't be getting carried away with anything. We have been burned twice previously when we have built up our hopes. But, I absolutely think this group have something that the previous two didn't have. More grit and belief and a tad more talent than first thought. Adams has also learned a bit. We have a cuple of players to come back who are going to enhance the squad even more and if we lose the loanees like we have before we can afford to without falling apart. Headmaster's report says could do better at times but overall a very pleasing quarter term with the future performances looking good. A good A so far but looking for A* before term end.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably A* at the moment.....as I said elsewhere 28pts in twelve games equals 107pts in a season....who as ever done that ?

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's still very early days and we went well early on last season and then slumped towards the end. I'll go with an A- : we'd need to eliminate silly goals conceded before I start thinking about A* or 100+ points.

However, I agree with Sensible, there are things about this squad which we didn't have before: some strength in depth and a toughness which is going to make us hard to beat.

I noticed Adams made a remark about the size of one of the Peninsula League pitches the reserves played on, quoting the FIFA standard dimensions. He obviously thinks about these things and this season has reduced the size of ours. We aren't going to see so much expansive football but we do look a lot more compact. Visiting sides won't be able to take advantage of acres of excess grass in the half of the games we play at home when we can't do the same on their pitches when we're away.

4. colu_mike

colu_mike Active Member

It won't last...<whistle><whistle>:emoticon-0132-envy:<grr>

5. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Remind us where you are in the league......<laugh>...:grin:...:D.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Leave him be plym he's just lonely on his own board. We play them in a couple of weeks. He does a fantastic pre-match thread article. His problem is there is nobody else on the forum to read it.

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I suppose comb over mike trolls the boards looking for some attention.. I wonder if he will appear once we give them a beating!!

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Answer to your question above is "haven't seen him all evening" Joe.

I've come back to this thread now that another few games have gone by and we are still doing the business results wise. However, despite our lofty position in the league and the fact others seem to be dropping points here and there I can't see a lot of enthusiasm around the boards. I'm beginning to wonder what it takes to wake some people up and get them at least a little excited. I know this is Argyle and I know they have flatterred a million times before only to disappoint but surely people could get a bit more enthusiastic with the results.

The posts following today's game are quite gloomy despite stealing 3 points. The game wasn't the greatest in the second half but we still won. In the first half I thought we were pretty decent for most of it and the passing was good if the end product wasn't so inspiring. But we won and that at the end of the day is all football is about in a league situation. I begin to wonder what people expect from a 4th division club. Do they really expect champions league stuff or million pound performances and performers? Whilst it is nice to see good stuff being played I would sacrafice all of it for the points in every game. People want Argyle out of this league yet complain even when they are showing the rest the way. Revised third term assessment from me is now A*

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Despite having the lowest goals against in the division, I still think our defence isn't up to a A* rating. Some of the goals we've given away have been sloppy and we got quite a chasing from a pacy Portsmouth attack. Bulvitis got booked yesterday after being done for pace. We haven't seen Osborne yet but if he has a bit of pace, he might get a game or two.

I'm far from discontented and have confidence that Adams will keep us there or thereabouts. I do hope we can extend the loans on Tanner and Garita come January. It's a long season and we need quality in reserve, although Garita would be in the starting 11 if he can maintain what we saw in his first game and a half.

I'll go up from an A- to a straight A.