1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fitness thread part 2

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, May 29, 2016.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Ok so the last one fizzled out so lets start a new one.
    Im hammering it now and ive never felt so strong. Im bench pressing 100kg.
    Im currently and always will be a short arse at 5ft7.
    Before Xmas i balooned upto 13 stone. I was still going to the gym and still felt strong but i was eating ****e. Im 12.5 now. My targets 12 stone just in time for my lads weekend away in Magaluf in 4 weeks.
    Any other gym enthuasts??

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    MrRAWhite likes this.
  2. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Not a gym enthusiast as I'm 59 now but try to get exercise as much as I can. Never been into pumping weights but more so into walking/running type of of thing. Don't know how old you are mate but do you find as you are getting older it's harder to keep yourself in shape? Got to a stage in my life that I have worked out I'm never to going to make the Chippendales team.....good for you that you are working out....have a great holiday!

salad fingers and HoratioCarter like this.
  3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I'm struggling with my diet, it's just they make far too many nice things now, pizza mainly, plus chips, burgers... I can't get the discipline I need to lose body fat, mostly stored in my lower back like a slag.

Gym is going well though, I don't tend to bench press very much because my left shoulder doesn't like the motion with heavy reps and gets injured. I db press about 84kg which is about 9kg more than my flat bench press.

Deadlift is better than ever 1RM is 165 or 363 if you're a yank trying to make it sound more!

Got my thyroid regulated with meds as well now so should be a lot easier to control my body fat from here.

What sups yo using Tees?

Teessidemackem likes this.
  4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I'm 56 and a fat b*stard.
    I like my ale and I like my scran.
    There are only two things certain in life, Death and Taxes, It looks like obesity is my choice of death.

PS. there may be 3 things certain in life. A shag down the Bigg Market on a weekend.

Billy Death and salad fingers like this.
  5. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Wish I was you, Tees. I don't have the will to his a gym or maintain a good diet and it's all catching up with me now. I've always wanted to (and I need to) bulk up. Purely for aesthetics more than anything else, however just need to stop my mental blocks.

6. Tel (they/them)

It's the processed food that's killing people and giving people cancer.

It's why Westerners are obese in huge numbers.

7. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Still can't get down to the gym because of work and commute hours so I'm going to try and find a gym closer to work to see if that helps.

Need to get my Adonis-like body back for our holiday :emoticon-0136-giggl

I'm only overweight because of guinness though. I eat like a church mouse.

Gil T Azell and TEL like this.
  8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

I hear you brother

Gil T Azell likes this.
  9. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I read somewhere recently that scientists reckon that it is possible to reach your physical peak at any age up to 62 - you may need to be more committed to this as you get older but it is possible.

I've posted on here before that am now into triathlons and hill and mountain climbing. I tend to train everyday as even on my rest days I take the dog out in to the Cleveland Hills for a walk.

I've got a big quadrathlon (triathlon plus kayaking stage) coming up in July and so I am getting in on average 2 hours a day cardio training - either running, swimming or cycling. I've got to be careful with the running as I tend to go out on the fells and that can play havoc on the joints especially on the downhill sections so a couple of times a week I treat myself to a trip to the gym for sessions on the treadmill and the elliptical trainer.

I don't do a lot of weight work - I tend to use the machines in the gym and then only at 35kgs but I do try and go for 50-75 reps on each.

I struggle with my weight in the opposite way to most in that I can't hold on to it - I'm 6ft tall and 11.5stone but if I dont make a conscious effort to fuel up then that drops off which affects my stamina (believe me its not good to feel completely knackered in the middle of a one mile open water swim!!)

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

That sounds mental. Proper hardcore.

11. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

I usually go to the gym regularly (almost daily) but have just fallen for the biggest mistake, despite knowing the ''theory'' so well. Because of a bug and being busy have missed the last five weeks and now face that ''starting again'' feeling. As I say, you can quickly lose what took so long to gain, and having disappointed yourself, picking up the motivation again is so hard. Especially when you're getting older and the body doesn't want to do what you want.
    My number one tip --- by all means miss a week or two (holidays etc) or have a recommended rest week, but never assume you'll retain gains over a long period - if an extended break is looming, at least do a small amount for maintenance. If only I could practice what I preach !

Blunham Mackem and Riever like this.
  12. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

Its just a way of life now - I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and didn't train for three days and was climbing the walls. It doesn't feel like a lot of commitment and on days when I'm really busy I might just go and blast a quick 5k run or one mile in the pool and that will be all I will do that day.

I absolutely love climbing though and spending 7 hours on the hills is a pleasure for me not a hardship!!!

13. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Top stuff. Now to me that is fitness, fun and dedication.

You are outdoors doing multiple things. Not stuck indoors in a gym.

14. Tel (they/them)

For energy mate, make sure you get starchy carbs before and after training, that way maintaining your weight should be a lot easier. I'm often not hungry before I train (6am most days) so I have a Vitargo shake which is roughly 70g of good carbs, then afterwards I'm hungry as hell and eat eat eat. It's not cheap but I use that because it's got no sugar, but cheaper waxy maize and starch is available for a fraction of the price and would be more than suitable for somebody doing cardio.

Them lucozade gels are awful for dropping off so I wouldn't recommend using anything like that.

Way, or in this case 'whey' too much emphasis goes into protein for many people who train to gain lean muscle, that's why most people in the gyms nowadays are hard gainers. Diet 90 Exercise 10 <ok>

Riever likes this.
  15. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Now that the football season is finished I am on a fitness kick.. I have already lost about 12lb and currently weigh in at around 15 stone. I intend to get below 14 stone by the end of July..

TEL and gelders pie like this.
  16. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Does having a really physical job, say like a lumberjack or a miner have similar effects as gym work?

MrRAWhite and TEL like this.
  17. Tel (they/them)

Very much so, more so.

Lifting in a gym does next to **** all unless you can commit to s certain intensity.

There's roughly 95% hard gainers in my gym, none of them have changed in a year, useless bastards go to lift a few weights and text their mates in between sets and look at ace book, go home as dry as a bone.

Any manual job is beneficial, look at folk's legs, you can spot an office worker a mile off.

Billy Death likes this.
  18. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I did try the protein shakes for a while but they didn't seem to do anything for me. If I'm going big on a session (say 50k on the bike) then I do use the SIS gels and rehydration tablets in my drink. The gels taste horrible though so they really are a bit of a last resort and then only as a boost, if I'm going along fine then I won't bother at all. A handful of jellybabies is quite often all I need.

Because of the timetable at my local pool I can only swim at 7:30am and I need to go in to the water with an empty stomach or I start to get stomach cramps after about 800 metres - by the time I've done my session I'm tight against the clock to get to work on time. If I'm lucky I will grab porridge on the way in and I always have a bag of trail mix on the go but I won't eat properly until lunch time so that shake does sound like a good plan. Is it an online product or are the city centre stockists?

19. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

What's this creatine stuff like?

20. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Neither have any mirrors to preen themselves in.

Rievers fitness tales are proper hardcore man.