1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fonte submits Official Transfer Request

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Jan 5, 2017.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I think though that I am going to get a new career.

I want to be the man who puts up the pictures of the Saints players in the corridors and outside the ground. I'll only make money in January and May to September, but I'll make a fortune in that time and can take the rest of the year off.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I agree. I do hope so.

He runs his instagram though, he can say something. I suspect he will, but it just feels a little bit like his attitude has been rather dismissive of things since the Euros, just as Fran rightly states.

3. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

No point, it would just be some bullshit his agent wrote down for him to regurgitate. He's gone, I don't need to hear him speak about what a great time he had here because it's only ever been about the money, like most players. I will look forward to his slide into obscurity at West Ham before they quietly ease him out of the door in 18 months just because I am naturally vindictive and can't stand bullshit from millionaires.

garysfc likes this.
  4. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Beefy, if you don't support the individual players, does that mean that you don't join in with their songs?
    For me football has always been about getting behind the individuals.
    Yet again it has been proven to be a stupid idea to have a footballing hero in this day and age.
    Good riddance Fonte, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

5. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Jorge is still in China I think and I'm sure he has forgotten that Jose Fonte exists.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Forster likes to throw a ball in Fonte's face (picture, not the real one) as he walks to the pitch....what will he do now?

7. Schrodinger's Cat

He knows Fonte exists, he just thinks of him as Jose lite, as opposed to the money spinning Jose at Man Utd. I'm sure there is a post-it note floating about with a few platitudes that can be used

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Maybe this explains why he's let so many in this season, he needs a new face to hit!

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

That seems rather counterintuitive. The big clubs were wobbling, we got within three points of Champions League, and another smaller club won the league...therefore we should pack it in and pivot to ambitions more of our station.

I do agree that so long as the current board remains in place, this is how we will proceed. And while I'm by no means excited about the possibility of the Chinese firm taking ownership, I suspect that if we are not sold in the next couple years, our current plan will see us in great danger of relegation.

10. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Vvd's message of support on Twitter...

Do we think this is a sign of an unhappy camp, or am I reading too much into it? I can't work out if it's a little dig. I guess the rumours about them not getting on were unfounded at least.

11. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Or Virgil's more of a diplomat than we think

12. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I agree that numbers aren't necessarily the issue so much as the personnel. We went into the season playing a diamond in midfield with two up front and our four options up top were:

Austin - Good striker, some say injury-prone (and of course has picked up a nasty one)
    Long - Hard worker, generally doesn't score loads
    Redmond - Winger that we were (are?) trying to convert to a striker
    Rodriguez - Still returning from serious injury, hadn't played much for us as a "proper" striker and hadn't been that successful when he had

So the number of players isn't terrible by itself but all those players are to some extent a gamble. There isn't a striker you can rely on there in the same way we knew Lambert and then Pelle would probably be able to play 30+ league games as a central striker and score 10-15 goals.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching a player while he is here and chant. But don't get crazy attached, so I don't get down when they leave.

I am a Southampton supporter not a Fonte etc etc supporter at the end of the day.

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> You're gonna love observing America for the next four years then...

15. Schrodinger's Cat

Already am Archers, already am :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Archers Road likes this.
  16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Throw it harder

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should have been clearer...I was suggesting that too much has been made of actual words used. The management may have stopped mentioning Champions' League recently, but doesn't mean ambition has changed....which is to be as good as we can be....and that could be Champions' League. I then went on to say that we may have missed a good chance of that in the recent two seasons...didn't intend to mean that such a chance won't occur again. Leicester just took their chance....right players at the right time. Could have been us as we have had seasons with some great players....won't be this year though as we need 2 or 3 top quality players to reach those heights again.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

I'd just take it at face value. He got on well with Fonte and appreciated what he did for the club. I expect Virgil will get a telling off for posting it, though.

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Some people forget that Leicester won it without making lots of multi-million big signings. In fact the opposite. They brought in some leftovers and some cheap potential. As you rightly said Fran, it all clicked. Nothing more, nothing less. This year it hasn't quite clicked for us.

20. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Fonte has received a signing on fee from Spam? And if likely? Just had discussion with my son who feels it might have been a significant factor in his decision making?