1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fonte submits Official Transfer Request

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Jan 5, 2017.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Doubt it...the club thanked Jose after all. It is very rare to hate people in the work place....our opinions tend to be mixed. Can like someone, whilst disliking something about them. The point is that we are struggling a bit and need everyone to be onside and care what happens in the future. You won't get the positivity needed from someone standing by their suitcase in the hall. Jose was a distraction, especially to the manager who needs to work with the people who will be here for the rest of the season and not spend a second thinking about a spare wheel.

2. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/whats-point-handing-transfer-request

He shouldn't get it, but I suspect there are ways around a payment being given?

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Or Leicester...

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

There was a recent case of a player suing for his loyalty bonus after he asked to leave. Can't remember who. It sounds like it was a last resort for Fonte...the club were not shifting and a transfer request just makes you even more distracting for the rest of the squad. I suspect Jose was doing the bare minimum....doing nothing wrong, so fingers can't be pointed, but hardly a ray of sunshine. As for any money lost, he could just get that by adjusting the WHU contract. West Ham surely didn't want to lose out on another player...it was getting embarrassing.

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I just feel sad about the whole situation, Jose has been a great servant to the club and is one of my all time favourite players, plus he was voted by this forum into the all time Saints XI.
    We should not rewrite history because of the percieved way that he left the club and only Jose, his agent and the club really know what has happened. I will always have fondness for Jose and wish him well apart from when he plays us and I hope that he gets the respectful reception from the fans that he deserves.

steve79 and RSS like this.
  6. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Payet who was paid a 'loyalty' bonus at WHU in November then decided not be that loyal after all. Pants really.

7. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I see Fonte has been dropped by West Ham. Not even on the bench. <whistle>

fatletiss likes this.
  8. SAINTDON13

please log in to view this image

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Nice words. But he's gone now.

10. SAINTDON13

Assuming it is genuine of course!

11. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Note to Lallana: that's a proper goodbye to the fans.

Genuinely, absolutely gutted about him going. I really thought he was different. As much as it makes 'business sense', he was the beating heart of our team for so long.
    It's a nice goodbye but it's still empty words. If he really cared he would have stayed with us and accepted the improved deal.

12. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Looks genuine to me and good of him to put up a post like that however as I've said (similar to Beefy) I don't bother with all these tweets and other social media messages to the fans from player or club anymore. Its only to build their own brand and sell their product. There isn't really much heartfelt stuff in there and is just part of the modern machine.

Thank Jose but..................blue line and onto the next "number" to play for us. I gave up supporting players as people or heroes a long time ago. I support 11 that play for the team now. I don't support personalities anymore.

I'll chant their name because I want the club to do well but I couldn't care less about the player I'm chanting the name of, just how well they do for the team.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Hmm that Fonte statement is basically "bye and thanks, but it isn't my fault I chose to move"

Nothing like stiring the pot.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  14. fatletiss

I chose the word "nice" carefully.

15. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Replace 'nice' with 'empty'

16. fatletiss

They were nice. Nothing more, nothing less.

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The facts are that he cost the club just over £1m when he was 26, we have had the best years of his career in which we have been promoted twice, won the JPT, qualified for Europe twice and he led the team as captain for the last three seasons improving each season. We have sold him at the age of 33 for a massive profit, the club has done very well out of Jose Fonte and he has done well out of us too.
    I take his words at face value and he didn't need to write them, if he didn't care about the club and fans he could've wrote nothing.

Archers Road, Saints FC 76 and RSS like this.
  18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I took what he said at face value. I appreciate him saying it. I don't really care about all the reasons behind him leaving now. Its done, he's gone, so long as we get the replacement in I think we've done quite well out of it as I expect we would have been looking at replacements anyway. I do think he's a nice decent bloke who has had a fantastic 7 years at the club and wants to show his appreciation for that. I'll look back at Jose as a Saints legend and I hope I'm not the only one.

19. fatletiss

There are other facts too. Don't be too taken in mate. He isn't blameless here, neither are the club. It is the **** part of football. The one question I'd like to ask Jose if ever given the chance is simple: why at 32 did you feel the need o change your agent?

PS. Would you take Les Reed at face value?

20. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

They're definitely genuine. Fonte runs his own social media - some do, some don't, but he does.

So the message is from him. It's fair enough and I can understand why he wanted to make it clear he didn't refuse to play.

But I still think he could've handled it all better.

Ah well. We March On.