1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football League 2016-17

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Whiteley Saint, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not difficult to understand now you've explained it, at first though was just 2 very short posts that on face of them were contradictory.

It is very sad that you nearly didn't go to the last game. Unfortunately there's too many idiots on both sides that can ruin it for the majority.

2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Mark Warburton has been appointed as the new manager of Nottingham Forest.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

You are like a very fast stalker....you keep getting ahead of me. :)

4. Whiteley Saint

There's so little going on I'm desperate for anything. Can't believe that after all this there's another international break coming up. :(

VocalMinority likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I see AFC Wimbledon beat MK Dons tonight... good stuff :)

6. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I too hate the "derby"/WW3

Specially poignant for me as my dad was a Pompey fan. I always want to beat them, of course. But it should be a friendly rivalry, not all out war.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Even I'm watching teams other than Saints. I can't watch a Saints archived match YET AGAIN. ;)

Well, maybe I could. Never say never.

8. Whiteley Saint

9. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

10. TheSecondStain

It's not quite the same thing as Coventry , who are, quickly and surely, slipping down the divisions in a slow and quiet death. I actually find it surprisingly upsetting to see clubs who were once the very fabric of the top division, sliding down to a non-existence. Leyton Orient have never had their day like Coventry, but they've had some high-flying moments in the leagues they've inhabited. On top of League One under Russell Slade a few years ago, then he left and they slowly fell apart while his fortunes also started to fail. Sometimes, the situation where you are doing well is where you should stay. RS and LO were good for each other, especially with Barry Hearn owning the club. I've also heard his regrets about selling because he never wanted the current situation at Orient. I hope they pull it together. Another one of those clubs who are from the very fabric of football in England.

BTW, you might like to read this Guardian article written in November last year about the bullet that Saints dodged: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/05/coventry-city-sisu-southampton

11. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

A number of football clubs in Scotland like Motherwell , Dumfermline and St Mirren are already fan owned and there are moves afoot for Hearts to go the same route too. This is a model that has worked north of the border. I believe Wycombe are also fan owned , so Pompey are not unique but are probably the biggest supported club who are fan owned and, by that fact, should be the best placed to exploit this. I think that it this model can work, it will prove to be the best way of avoiding the boom and bust model often taken my foreign investment.

I can appreciate the interest from America for Portsmouth because they would be bought cheaply and do have potential. Without doubt, they are under-performing in League 2 and should be in the Championship at least based on fan base. However, it would be good if a fan based club in England could buck the trend and compete successfully against those clubs backed by investors from abroad who have no links with the community. Southampton were fortunate because of the amount of business Liebherr did with in the city but Portsmouth have a proud record of having their pants pulled down whenever they look for foreign investment and even when the Serb-American owned the club, there was always an whiff of the inappropriate.

Sad to read about Orient who have a long history and I believe originally founded by employees of P & O albeit their first base was at Clapham and not east London , I believe

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Pompey look like they will get into League 1 under their own steam, but (whatever the fans think) you need some money to progress further. I suppose they have the support to be a bigger club and offer this American a cheap option to get into English football as they don't have the modern stadium or training ground that we had. He's virtually buying just the franchise and the fans. A brave enterprise.

Oh, far too serious a comment. Mickey Mouse club<laugh><laugh><laugh> Is that better?

14. TheSecondStain

I hope they do progress the sale. This region needs to be taken more seriously for football. The football media are finding it increasingly difficult to ignore football from the south coast. I hope Brighton get promoted, I hope Pompey progress, and I hope Bournemouth build their new stadium. This is all competition, and whatever pushes Saints to greater ambition, and draws attention to the South, in football, the better. I'm bored ****less with the constant concentration of attention on London and the North.

15. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

I can't begin to imagine being so bored that I wish Pompey well.

Whiteley Saint and San Tejón like this.
  16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

London and the North, turns out they're not the same thing. It's only when you move away from Southampton you realised you lived an hour away from the biggest and richest city in Europe.

17. TheSecondStain

Well that's you

18. TheSecondStain

In football terms, they are from this perspective.

19. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but by the same token I'd hate to see pompey liquidate or even slip further down the leagues to the point there is 0 competition between the clubs and the rivalry is lost. I really enjoy the rivalry with pompey and if they became non-league or folded that rivalry would seriously diminish. So, to a certain extent, I do wish for them to do relatively well (not too well obviously ;))

20. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

London is overrated