1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football League 2016-17

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Whiteley Saint, Aug 5, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Good to see a great attendance at Sheffield United's match against Scunthorpe yesterday in excess of 27,000. Hope both make it in the automatic places.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Paid for itself as far as we are concerned with the correct judgement on Forster's great save against Liverpool.....I'd have given it.

4. The Ides of March

I agree with you for the automatic places. The play-offs will be interesting if the clubs that are there, are still there. 3 Yorkshire clubs and Reading. Would be brilliant to see Wednesday v Leeds in a play-off final, however I am not sure the Met. would be too happy. I think a case can be made where all the clubs in the play-off places deserve promotion this season. Having said that would love Wednesday to make it back to the Premeirship. Big club, huge support, charismatic ground, apart from the Lepping Lanes End stand which should be pulled down and a new and better one erected.

5. fran-MLs little camera

The Championship is full of great clubs...that's why it's such a tough but great league. I'm glad we got automatic promotion....very easy to get mired there for decades. Brighton and Newcastle for me, but what a choice underneath them. Perhaps it's Leeds turn after so long...I have to ignore the automatic shudder which is based on prejudices from times long past....their fans have put in the suffering miles...perhaps its time.

6. The Ides of March

Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield fans have suffered just as much, and both are doing well.

7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Blimey, we could have three 'local' derbies next season then. Quality.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agreed Ides I'd love to see that final. They'd both my first choices to go up, assuming Brighton & Newcastle take the top 2.

9. The Ides of March

I do think when certain clubs are relegated from the PL, this raises the bar and the standard in the Championship. I'm thinking of West Ham and Newcastle, who are, by Championship standards at any rate huge, huge clubs and are therefore the prime scalp for all in that division as all want to finish above them. It was to Southamapton's benefit that West Ham arrived in the Championship for the 2011-12 season because Saints certainly raised their game. Same this season with the clubs chasing Newcastle. I feel that the 6th placed team will this year get over 75 points or until the situation arrives where they cannot get 2nd or the 7th placed team cannot catch them. Below the current top 6 there are some clubs with real pedigree in terms of pulling power and past achievements - Derby, Forest, Villa, Blackburn, Cardiff, Norwich, Ipswich, Wolves, Birmingham (on a good day) and Sheffield United. All these clubs if in the PL would get gates of 30,000 or more. OK, Norwich can't because of capacity.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Ummm Newcastle didn't?

Agree there's a lot of big clubs in that division though. A lot much bigger than us too.

11. The Ides of March

Original post edited to save the confusion. The "both" referred to being Southampton and WHU. But thanks TLL!!

Libby likes this.
  12. The Ides of March

Villa, Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds. The others that I've named are of a similar size in terms of fan base.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

In terms of fanbase then possibly yes. Forest still would say are bigger though.

14. TheSecondStain

Good to see you've come round. :)

15. fran-MLs little camera

Goal line technology was one of the few things I agreed with....because it was effective without interrupting the game. However, it is expensive....so may not be suitable for much further down the chain....how often is there an honest query about a goal.

16. TheSecondStain

Hmm, and yet I remember that you were against it.!?! ;)

If you remember, I used to bang on about it's introduction every time the subject came up. And typically with technology, the first examples are always expensive. Bet it's cheaper now.

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Ironically, if the Burnley v Lincoln game had been held at Sincil Bank rather than Turf Moor, there wouldn't have been goal line technology available, so Lincoln's goal could possibly have been disallowed!

18. fran-MLs little camera

Well youse was wrong....found evidence to prove I agreed with goal line technology. Took some time, mind you.
    Wonder what that says about me.<laugh>
    Analysis of incidents from every angle on Sky can still not produce a decision. Even in cricket (where it is used) they claim it can give wrong results as distortion can suggest a ball has touched the ground when it hasn't. A slight touch in slo-mo on a player can look nothing, whereas in full flight it has made him lose his balance. The only place for technology is ball line decisions about goals and, even in that case, is it worth it for the very few times it matters...however, I will let you have GLT if it will get a few knickers untwisted:grin: Feb 10, 2013

19. TheSecondStain

Cooee.! You're a 21st century girl after all. ;)

20. TheSecondStain

Wasn't it the Lincoln manager who said "thank god for GLT, because there would have been a good chance that goal wouldn't have been given if it had been at our place."

Thankfully, there are no more Pedro Mendes goals in the top flight, and let's hope that the technology gets cheap enough [it will eventually] to be fitted everywhere it is needed, ie, at every professional league level.

ChilcoSaint likes this.